Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494480 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1755 on: May 21, 2015, 07:44:08 pm »

I dont mean to sound mean.. but I gave up years ago getting windows machines to do networking correctly.

I can only take the "wear mittens after slathering on novacaine topical" nature of windows' configuration for advanced networking for so long.  Give me linux and a proper config file any day. 

Windows is just a poor choice to do anything related to bridging with. 

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: May 21, 2015, 08:32:41 pm »

I dont mean to sound mean.. but I gave up years ago getting windows machines to do networking correctly.

I can only take the "wear mittens after slathering on novacaine topical" nature of windows' configuration for advanced networking for so long.  Give me linux and a proper config file any day. 

Windows is just a poor choice to do anything related to bridging with.

If I could into Linux, I would.

But so far, I can't into Linux very far. Most I've done with it is test (and nuke) hard drives with a Fedora stick.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: May 21, 2015, 10:39:05 pm »

The CLOSEST I could get windows to do correctly was to act as an ACTUAL router with a "Multi home configuration", using a combination of a registry setting (DEEPLY HIDDEN, requires adding the key to make the feature turn on, which is disabled by default!) and a startup batch script to manually configure all the routes in the new routing table.

That actually worked like a charm, but was a SUPER pain in the *$$ to set up. Compared to linux, where setting up a bridge is as easy as defining an interface and adding members to it in /etc/network, it was an elaborate kludge. 

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: May 22, 2015, 01:10:45 am »

In Windows it's as easy as selecting both interfaces and pressing "bridge". It's just inexplicably not working. Linux is also great at " inexplicably not working" so leave off the fanboyism.

PyroDesu: Have you tried setting the static IP/gateway settings on the bridge? The problem seems to be that it's preferring the autoconfig IP from the lan side instead of the dhcp IP from the WiFi. Googling suggests disabling autoconfig IPs on the lan interface may also help.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: May 22, 2015, 08:59:02 am »

In Windows it's as easy as selecting both interfaces and pressing "bridge". It's just inexplicably not working. Linux is also great at " inexplicably not working" so leave off the fanboyism.

PyroDesu: Have you tried setting the static IP/gateway settings on the bridge? The problem seems to be that it's preferring the autoconfig IP from the lan side instead of the dhcp IP from the WiFi. Googling suggests disabling autoconfig IPs on the lan interface may also help.

Default gateway not available.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: May 22, 2015, 10:10:07 am »

Which PC gives that error?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: May 22, 2015, 10:13:45 am »

Also, lets try something arcane:
In the Network connections window, where you bridge the connections, but with the bridge not created
Press "alt"
Advanced
Advanced Settings
Change the order of connections so your wifi network is first

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: May 22, 2015, 10:28:21 am »

Which PC gives that error?

Both. They mirror errors on either side of the connection.

Also, lets try something arcane:
In the Network connections window, where you bridge the connections, but with the bridge not created
Press "alt"
Advanced
Advanced Settings
Change the order of connections so your wifi network is first

Nothing.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: May 22, 2015, 10:30:43 am »

Then off to google my friend :)

I have no further ideas

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: May 22, 2015, 11:32:31 am »

Then off to google my friend :)

I have no further ideas

Yeah, Google was my first choice, but there doesn't seem to be much on bridging. The forums were my last resort.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: May 22, 2015, 01:06:14 pm »

Does it NEED to be a bridged connection?

What exactly do you want the connection to do?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: May 22, 2015, 02:17:42 pm »

Does it NEED to be a bridged connection?

What exactly do you want the connection to do?

Pass internet through my laptop to my desktop. Former can pick up WiFi, latter cannot, and as I'm only here temporarily, I'm not buying a WiFi card. And there's stuff on the Desktop that doesn't work without internet that I'd like to use (though as I'm going to be here less than 24 more hours, it has become a moot point).

And yeah, it has to be bridged. I tried ICS the first time I was in this situation (same place) and it never worked. Bridging seems to be the only other option.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: May 22, 2015, 03:28:11 pm »

I was wondering if routing would be an option. It is different from bridging.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: May 24, 2015, 02:39:52 am »

Do you have an android phone? That can also bridge. Use usb tethering while connected to wifi.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: May 28, 2015, 07:53:49 am »

alright

so my fujitsu lifebook, model ah530, needs new graphics drivers

the reasons for this is that the current ones are, according to programs which wreck themselves (starmade, notably! wanna play that yo) buggy

however the intel update utility does not provide anything driver-like, the generic drivers downloaded from their site (i've tried hd graphics both 4 and 5 series) refuse to install and the fujitsu website still boasts the same driver it released whilst tossing the product onto the markets - which is also the same driver i have on the cd that came with the laptop

where is this new driver to be sought, if there is any even; the os on which i'd like to use said driver is win7 if it matters

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 348