Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494174 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1815 on: July 03, 2015, 07:01:33 pm »

Ok, so then it WAS a firewall on your end that was the problem.  (well of a sort.)

NAT is what we were discussing previously. (Thief and myself.)  You just got bitten by the need for a persistently stateful connection. That's what port forwarding enables.

I foolishly thought you had already eliminated this possibility when you said it wasn't a firewall on your end. Foolish me.

Another thing you might be able to do, is set up a DMZ.  (Demilitarized Zone. Seriously. that's what it is called.)  That's a network or device that is NOT behind the NAT, and can be directly seen by both the private network and the public network.  It might be necessary for your game server to live in one.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: July 09, 2015, 08:00:17 pm »

I have an automatic formatting question. I was writing a list of things in LibreOffice, marking each new entry under a heading with a tab indent followed by a -. Each time I hit enter, LibreOffice would assume I didn't really want the tab on the previous line and delete it. It's simple enough to manually mess with the indentation under each heading, since there's only a few headings, but it's kind of a pain in my ass, and on principle I'd like to stop it doing that.

Anybody know how to disable this bug feature?

EDIT: There doesn't seem to be a relevant thing under the AutoCorrect Options menu
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: July 09, 2015, 11:35:12 pm »

You are basically making a bulleted list.  Just instead of a bullet, you are using a hyphen.  Not sure how to tell OpenOffice that you want to make a bulleted list with hyphens as the bullets, but that's what you are trying to make it do.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: July 10, 2015, 04:37:12 am »

Came back from vacation expecting to hop on my desktop right away, but when I booted up the computer, the screen was black. This had happened before, so I tried what had fixed it in the past: restarting explorer.exe. It doesn't work. I can open up task manager and restart explorer.exe all I want, and the desktop still won't appear. Everything else looks normal, things are updating in the background as they are wont to do when you boot up the computer. Any advice?

EDIT: Nevermind, ol' Betsy just need some time, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:55:39 am by ShoesandHats »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: July 11, 2015, 03:04:50 pm »

does anyone know if there's a way to change the download directory in Firefox Mobile/Pale Moon Mobile? Or if it can't be done, can you reccommend an Android browser where it can?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1820 on: July 11, 2015, 03:15:12 pm »

I know it's possible in Opera Mini. Can't help otherwise though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 11, 2015, 03:55:17 pm »

does anyone know if there's a way to change the download directory in Firefox Mobile/Pale Moon Mobile? Or if it can't be done, can you recommend an Android browser where it can?
Can you not just move it afterwards?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: July 11, 2015, 04:25:10 pm »

does anyone know if there's a way to change the download directory in Firefox Mobile/Pale Moon Mobile? Or if it can't be done, can you reccommend an Android browser where it can?

about:config gets access to all the command settings in Firefox, also works on mobile Firefox.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1028808
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 04:26:59 pm by Reelya »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: July 12, 2015, 12:19:00 am »

about:config gets access to all the command settings in Firefox, also works on mobile Firefox.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1028808

thanks!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: July 12, 2015, 09:27:22 am »

my laptop is having a weird problem. when i plug in my power cord to my computer it does not register but it will later randomly start charging again and stay charging until i unplug it. often it happens when i move the computer but it doesn't most of the time. its not the power cord i have replaced that several times.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: July 12, 2015, 01:41:56 pm »

Is it an older laptop? Most likely it's just that the wires in the power connection port are starting to get a bit loose. On a lot of laptops the only way to "fix" this is to replace the entire logic board (which is very expensive), though there are a small handful of laptops that can replace it separately. I'd say look into it and see if your particular computer can replace the power port separately, and if it can't you just deal with having to wiggle the cable a little bit when you first plug it in (unless you are absolutely drowning in money, in which case you could just get a whole brand new logic board for a couple hundred dollars).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: July 13, 2015, 02:35:18 pm »

You are basically making a bulleted list.  Just instead of a bullet, you are using a hyphen.  Not sure how to tell OpenOffice that you want to make a bulleted list with hyphens as the bullets, but that's what you are trying to make it do.
Yeah, pretty much. I suppose it might be easier to just use bullets, but I prefer to do formatting like this manually when I can. Possibly I am a crazy person. Thanks anyway!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: July 13, 2015, 05:46:17 pm »

Yeah, pretty much. I suppose it might be easier to just use bullets, but I prefer to do formatting like this manually when I can. Possibly I am a crazy person. Thanks anyway!
FYI lots of times there's a "bullet type" option in the lists menu that lets you manually decide what type of character you want to designate each particular indentation level.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: July 13, 2015, 06:16:38 pm »

does anyone know if there's a way to change the download directory in Firefox Mobile/Pale Moon Mobile? Or if it can't be done, can you recommend an Android browser where it can?
Can you not just move it afterwards?

To do that I'd have to manually sort what things goes in what folder after the fact.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: July 13, 2015, 07:44:38 pm »

You're kinda gonna want to do that anyway or you end up with Download dirs like I have on the PC with 3500 files :p   If you don't keep up as it goes, going back to cleanup now is scary.  And I DO have 52 directories under it that I *did* halfheartedly sort into, it could have been that much worse  :o
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 348