Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 495229 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #2025 on: September 13, 2015, 12:32:30 pm »

Is getting rid of Facebook not an option? It sounds like the easiest one.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: September 13, 2015, 12:33:39 pm »

It almost certainly will be the simplest.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: September 13, 2015, 01:26:36 pm »

I have facebook on my phone, is there any way to restrict it from using most of its bullshit privileges? I don't have root right now but rooting my phone is something im willing to do.
Depends on the operating system, since KitKat, AppOps has been pretty limited but should still work if you can configure. I remember if you install Cyanogenmod there was a privacy switch where you can simply lock out certain apps to personal information on your phone including contacts, phone calls, and your app history.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: September 13, 2015, 03:53:36 pm »

I'll look into it, thanks.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: September 13, 2015, 04:11:09 pm »

I have facebook on my phone, is there any way to restrict it from using most of its bullshit privileges? I don't have root right now but rooting my phone is something im willing to do.

IIRC the old AppOps program works if the device is rooted. Haven't gotten a chance to try it personally yet as no rooting solution has been forthcoming for my model of phone. If you do take this route, you should also take advantage of it to disable internet access for anything that uses ads.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: September 13, 2015, 04:14:58 pm »

A lot of times if I try to cut and  paste a lot of files from my Droid Razr Maxx to my PC it will either copy the files instead of cutting them, miss a lot of the files, and/or cause windows explorer to crash. Is this a common problem and is there a fix for it?
This is due to how windows sees your phone as a media device which doesn't allow you to to cut items. Your only option is pulling your external sd card.

It doesn't seem to have one (If it does, I haven't been able to find it, and I've looked)
Really? The micro sd slot is right next to the sim card slot for the Razr Maxx. there should a small door on the top right side of your phone to access that.

Other than that, your only other option is to run a ftp server off your phone but you probably need root for that.

My bad, apparently it's just "MAXX" not "RAZR MAXX"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: September 13, 2015, 04:36:07 pm »

Android? You kinda have to be rooted, I think. Use Xposed and XPrivacy within Xposed. That lets you turn lots of stuff off. It's like a selective firewall but for features like sensors as well as internet or phone.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: September 13, 2015, 05:40:52 pm »

A lot of times if I try to cut and  paste a lot of files from my Droid Razr Maxx to my PC it will either copy the files instead of cutting them, miss a lot of the files, and/or cause windows explorer to crash. Is this a common problem and is there a fix for it?
This is due to how windows sees your phone as a media device which doesn't allow you to to cut items. Your only option is pulling your external sd card.

It doesn't seem to have one (If it does, I haven't been able to find it, and I've looked)
Really? The micro sd slot is right next to the sim card slot for the Razr Maxx. there should a small door on the top right side of your phone to access that.

Other than that, your only other option is to run a ftp server off your phone but you probably need root for that.

My bad, apparently it's just "MAXX" not "RAZR MAXX"
Welp guess you are screwed then, try the ftp server method or use google drive.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: September 13, 2015, 10:11:06 pm »

Is there any way to change how much of a very long filename Windows Explorer will display while in icon view mode?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: September 22, 2015, 06:10:04 pm »

Going back to upgrading my PC since I realize I have some money now to get started on that, I can't decide which motherboard would be better, this one, or this one. The first one is half the price, but I can't read hardware specs well enough to tell what it doesn't have over the other.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: September 23, 2015, 01:52:06 am »

They have the same CPU socket but use a different chipset, which may or may not limit CPU compatibility (Intel are famous for keeping the same socket and still breaking compatibility, but I'm not familiar with their recent stuff).
Fake edit: I've looked on Gigabyte's website, and the B85 one "Supports 4th Generation Intel® Core™ processors" while the Z97 one "Supports 4th and 5th Generation Intel® Core™ processors". See what I mean?

They both support up to 32GB of DDR3 ram at 1333 / 1600 MHz, but the Z97 mentions ram overclocking up to 3100 MHz in its specs, if you're into that kind of thing.

They both have one PCI-e 3.0 x16 socket for a graphics card, but the secondary card sockets are different - the B85 has two PCI-e x1 connectors for most modern non-graphics cards (e.g. WiFi) but it can't take any old PCI cards at all, nor a PCI-e x4 high-end card unless you give up the graphics socket. The Z97 has two old-school PCI sockets, plus a secondary PCI-e x16 socket that's only really wired for x4 (and is only half the speed on top of that, PCI-e 2.0 vs 3.0), which is still just enough to run some secondary graphics cards (I wouldn't put a high-end card in it) but does support PCI-e x4 high-end non-graphics cards, if you need any, and will still take a standard PCI-e x1 WiFi card etc.

They both have 6 sata ports for drives, but the Z97 has all 6 running at sata3 / 6Gbps, whereas the B85 has two at the older sata2 / 3Gbps. This probably doesn't matter unless you're putting 6 SSDs in your PC.

They both have 6 USB sockets on the back, but the Z97 has four high-speed USB 3.0 sockets (for high-speed external drives mostly) where the B85 only has two. I'll be honest, you probably don't need more than two on the back, USB 3.0 devices are still relatively rare. They both have internal headers for two USB 3.0 connectors (best used for the front of the PC, but you can get brackets for the back too), plus a bunch of extra headers for extra USB2.0 connectors if you need them.

That should about explain it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:08:56 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: September 23, 2015, 10:07:01 am »

5th generation processors technically never released in time as the 6th are out for sale. If you need it build a computer without some fancy setup go for the B85. If you are going need all the ports and overclocking i recommend the Z97.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: September 26, 2015, 10:50:03 am »

Can anyone recommend a program that can edit video files to slow them down or speed them up?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2038 on: September 26, 2015, 11:37:50 am »

Basically any video editor. Assuming you're on Windows, Windows Live Movie Maker is bundled with it, unless for some reason you're still using XP.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: September 26, 2015, 12:08:14 pm »

Or 8 or 10
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 348