Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 494505 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #2655 on: May 04, 2016, 02:07:40 am »

It happens, and it's normally either the motherboard or the PSU at fault.

Sometimes it's a glitch "power on after power cut" setting in the BIOS. Check it's set to "off". If it's set to " last state " or "power on" sometimes a shutdown can confuse it.

Also try a BIOS update.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: May 04, 2016, 09:20:27 pm »

As for the earlier comment of needing classic shell... no it doesn't. What is with supposedly tech-literate people acting like old people who hate all change?
It does if you don't want to deal with that bullshit in the start menu. Not as bad as Win8, still not very good.

Classic Shell isn't a necessity like with was with 8, but it still makes it more functional and less space-wasting. I was laughing "No" all the way to the download page as soon as I saw the tiled start menu.

And yeah, if you're paying for an AV program you're a sucker. Windows Defender + Malwarebytes has kept my computers the safest they've ever been. 'Course, I've got the lifetime premium on MWB because I bought it for $20 or so back before they went to a subscription model, so that sucks for latecomers I guess. But even a subscription (or getting by with the free features + WinDefender) is better than giving money to McAfee/Norton/Whatver to repeatedly fail to protect you while throwing up false positives and quarantining files that don't actually exist to pretend that they're doing something.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: May 05, 2016, 01:55:45 am »

Classic Shell isn't a necessity like with was with 8, but it still makes it more functional and less space-wasting. I was laughing "No" all the way to the download page as soon as I saw the tiled start menu.
Or you could just, you know, right click the starting tiles and unpin them from the start menu and then click+drag the right side to make it the width that you want. :P Honestly I find my the current start menu after I put a tiny bit of work into it slightly more useful than classic shell is right now; the left side is still essentially identical to the classic shell, while the right side actually let me remove the bits of the classic shell menu that I don't often use and replace them with larger bits that I do use.

It still doesn't go quite as skinny as the classic shell implementation would, but it's close enough for me to not really make a difference and the easy button clicking and customization of the right side stuff makes it just as good in my opinion.

And yeah, the current version of Windows Defender is right up with the top AV programs in terms of protection efficiency. If you really needed another than Avast works just fine, just throw it a tosser email once a year to stop it from bugging you for a subscription and turn on gaming mode to stop the annoying popups and it works just fine. (As always note that while having two antiviruses might be useful in the event you need to scan your computer, you should never have more than one real time protection running at a time. Having multiple real-time protections turned on at the same time, in addition to slowing down your computer even more, can cause clashes between the two and actually cause them to miss real problems due to the conflicts that they otherwise would have caught.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: May 05, 2016, 12:18:43 pm »

If you want icons that big, just use the desktop! Start menu is for links to control panel/my computer/power down options, and the run command. Having the start menu do the same thing as the desktop but with less space is not useful.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: May 05, 2016, 12:29:00 pm »

If you want icons that big, just use the desktop! Start menu is for links to control panel/my computer/power down options, and the run command. Having the start menu do the same thing as the desktop but with less space is not useful.

On a touchscreen, the desktop is FAR superior to going anywhere near the start menu. On a non-touchscreen, it's also superior for a short list of common links. For longer lists of things, use the start menu to just start typing and narrowing down the list.

The mouse, keyboard, and monitor are on your personal desk top for a reason. You use them constantly. Yes, they take up space.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: May 05, 2016, 12:31:12 pm »

What I'm looking for is usually in one folder or another, I forgot the start menu had a search bar. Which just makes these tiles even less relevant.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: May 05, 2016, 02:33:28 pm »

I mod so much that I need to manually alter folders. Shortcuts to folders are more useful to me and they reside on my desktop. Nesting all that in the start menu means I can't easily move things to other computers I own. The day "my computer" stopped being on the desktop by default was a major downhill slide in Windows.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: May 05, 2016, 04:02:54 pm »

The day "my computer" stopped being on the desktop by default was a major downhill slide in Windows.

So it's been going downhill (in your opinion) since Windows 98?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: May 05, 2016, 04:57:19 pm »

You'll note that my start menu has links to the control panel, the relevant parts I use of the "this PC" list that replaced "my computer", and the power options (personally I don't really use the run command for much, so it's not there). If I need something else I can just open up the start menu and type the first few characters, or click one of my big icons and then get there in a folder click or two if it's something I use less often.

Course I'm the type of person who doesn't put anything at all except for maybe a few sparse rainmeter windows on my desktop. The advantage of a nice pared down start menu is that it lets me have quick links to the things that I actually do use without ruining the pretty picture with clutter, and it automatically hides itself away whenever I'm not using it. The mouse, keyboard, and monitor might take up space on your real desktop, but there's a reason why "awesome" computer desks have pullout shelves that you put the keyboard/mouse on and often bolt monitors to frames reaching from behind the desk instead of just plopping everything down in the middle of the real desk space. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: May 06, 2016, 09:50:07 am »

The day "my computer" stopped being on the desktop by default was a major downhill slide in Windows.

So it's been going downhill (in your opinion) since Windows 98?

It disappeared after XP.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: May 07, 2016, 02:22:48 pm »

My advice to everyone here: Ditch Windows 10 and go with Linux.

It's amazing how many problems just disappeared... For example this laptop had terrible performance problems, periodically locking up for a few seconds ever now and again and taking forever to reboot when restarted (despite the fact that it had almost nothing installed on it). Once I started using Linux all that went away.

Windows 7 was awesome, but 10 sucks. Not as much as 8, but far worse than 7.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: May 07, 2016, 02:30:32 pm »

Thanks, but I like to be able to play games without fiddling with extraneous bullshit.

Unless it's an old DOS game or a ROM, in which case that comes with the territory.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: May 07, 2016, 03:44:24 pm »

No matter which linux install I get I can't even get most built in software to actually load. Click shortcuts and nothing happens. I don't have enough experience to run software in linux.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: May 07, 2016, 03:48:01 pm »

Well... I must admit I am a computer programmer and have been on good terms with the command prompt for some years now, but that was all on Windows, where things were a lot different.

I suppose if you have something against typing you may have some troubles, but only when you want to do something out of the ordinary...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: May 07, 2016, 05:30:03 pm »

I wanted to install linux once and watched some tutorials.

Then i saw a guy ecstatic because youtube videos work.
And he could even run Homeworld... with 15 fps or so.

I'm sure things got better since then but honestly Linux would be my last resort in case Microsoft starts asking me to give them my bank account info or else it won't even turn on.
That or a steam box coupled with an Win XP laptop for work.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 348