Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 493746 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3240 on: February 13, 2017, 02:18:23 am »

Sorry for not stating the price, the headset must have cost under 195$.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: February 13, 2017, 02:21:02 am »

You can get cheap ones in the 20$ range.

What features exactly are you looking for?  High bass response? Good noise cancellation in the mic? what exactly?

For example, here's a 7.1 surround sound capable USB headset with noise cancellation in the mic, for just under 40$. Windows only though.

https://www.amazon.com/Surround-Cancelling-Gaming-Headset-Microphone/dp/B01E8RSXJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486970512&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=usb+headset+with+microphone+noise+cancelling&psc=1

If you need support on a bunch of different platforms, the plantronics ones are supported just about everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-655-USB-Multimedia-Microphone/dp/B001SEQN3K/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1486970512&sr=8-11&keywords=usb+headset+with+microphone+noise+cancelling
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:25:00 am by wierd »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: February 13, 2017, 02:34:23 am »

You can get cheap ones in the 20$ range.

What features exactly are you looking for?  High bass response? Good noise cancellation in the mic? what exactly?

Noise cancellation is always helpful, versatility (gaming, Duolingo voice recognition, etc) is also a thing I'm looking for. Wirelessness (preferably with use of receiver) is also preferable since I dislike when the table covered in cables (I use notebook)
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: February 14, 2017, 01:37:19 am »

Personally I use a separate mic and headphones, but they are likely more substantial than you're looking for, as I use them with a desktop:
Mic: Logitech USB desk mic
Headphones: Sennheiser wireless with charging stand (I forget the model)

They are however amazing
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: February 17, 2017, 08:06:51 pm »

Like I said on the Things that make you go WTF today thread I was looking through my files today and in my temporary file I found one called GLA.DOS which when opened is 1000000 lines of asterisks with numbers on either side of them and then one extra line that is completely blank.... Can someone tell me why this exists and what it's for or does

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: February 17, 2017, 08:19:10 pm »

Are you running win98 or something?

I haven't seen .DOS files in over a decade, that weren't part of a dedicated VM.

Historically, they were configuration files that got renamed to *.DOS after installing windows, so that manual tweakers could save settings from them and manually merge them later. Many sections of dos config files were obsoleted by windows' way of dealing with things, which is why windows installer started from scratch, and bulk renamed all the old files.

Never heard if gla.sys though.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:49:09 pm by wierd »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: February 17, 2017, 08:27:24 pm »

I'm on windows 10, The file name is a reference to GLaDOS (Genetic Lifeform and Disc Operating system) from the portal series... still don't know what the content of the file has to do with the name though

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: February 17, 2017, 08:46:15 pm »

I am saying it is probably a coincidence with the GLaDOS reference.

the .DOS extension was used to preserve old DOS config files, as I stated.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: February 17, 2017, 09:00:19 pm »

Thing is, I've got another file in there called GL4DOS.dat which contains... not the same thing at all

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: February 19, 2017, 07:46:12 am »

Do you have any Valve or Portal related games installed on there. They sound like filenames Valve would use as an injoke.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: February 19, 2017, 01:32:35 pm »

I've got both portals, half life 2 episodes and tf2 installed, no idea if those files are related to those or to any of the numerous portal related mods for various games I have

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: March 03, 2017, 09:46:40 am »

Using windows 10 anniversery and I have never used Microsoft Edge or Bing on purpose. 100% of the time I'm typing something into the search bar it's because I'm looking for a file on my computer. I want to disable web search from the start menu, what I'm hearing is that I have to disable cortana to do that.

Is there any way at all I can make my goddamn computer work in a way I'm comfortable with without editing the registry?

Is there any way to convince microsoft that letting me customize my user experience will not herald the end of days?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: March 03, 2017, 09:49:01 am »

Is there any way to convince microsoft that letting me customize my user experience will not herald the end of days?
Not in win10, MS is scared of people thinking they can do stuff with their computers.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: March 03, 2017, 09:52:14 am »

When I try using the search, I have to explicitly choose to search the web, by default it only returns local results. I think it used to be different before the Win10 anniversary update, but that's ages ago now.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 347