Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 127214 times)

Covenant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3345 on: April 16, 2017, 10:51:51 am »

Adblock Plus is still supported I believe.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #3346 on: April 17, 2017, 07:42:07 pm »

Adblocker Ultimate is also very good.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: April 21, 2017, 09:45:43 am »

If anybody knows about inverters and monitors, I could use a bit of direction.

A while ago my monitor began to black screen after a half second of uptime, and recently I discovered that if I shone a flashlight I could still see the image if I tried really hard. This is an inverter problem, I think?

It is an old Neovo E-19A model, and I've had it for a long time. I don't particularly want to have to pay up for a whole new monitor, being hard on money, but if this is a problem I can solve with repair rather than replace that would help a lot.

I have an imgur album of the disassembled back here, and I can get more if needed.

If someone could tell me what to get (and by that I mean literally point me at the item to buy) or any obvious issues you see that I can't, please let me know. I think I can get access to soldering equipment if that would help.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.

"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Whiskey-Passing Crazed Gunman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: April 21, 2017, 05:27:58 pm »

So I've been able to play Survival Crisis Z, but the frame rate is really bad. I haven't had frame rate issues like this on other ones, especially not on games with similar graphics levels.

Anyone have any idea how to fix said frame rate issues?
Voices from The Net: My excuse for not posting in OOCQ anymore.
Steam Profile
Lazy Tenno Medical Crisis-Prone Whiskey-Passing Musical Carjacking Slippery Brawling Larcenous Part-Time Crazed Gunman of Literature

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: April 23, 2017, 12:57:22 pm »

Looking up a replacement battery pack for my old, bricky netbook. While I can find a ton of charger cables for its specific model - Acer Aspire One D257-1471 - I only seem to be able to find the actual battery for model D257(no -1471, and there are other D257 models). If I get a battery pack for D257, would it be compatible with D257-1471?

I might not even need it, I'm just looking it in case I do. Right now its running time is limited by the fact that I need to replace the thermal paste.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: April 23, 2017, 01:47:52 pm »

Unless the shells are crazy different there should be no difference in battery between submodels.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: May 16, 2017, 04:21:42 pm »

Anyone run Linux Ubuntu?

I gather I don't need anti-virus because its Linux but is Firebox susceptible to brower hijackers and annoying shit like that? I don't typically browse or download sketchy shit but when I do...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: May 16, 2017, 08:55:14 pm »

Linux is not virus proof. The only major security advantage it offers over Windows is that it is much less common as a home PC environment, so it is a much less useful target for attacks. Saying "I don't need antivirus because linux" is akin to saying "I don't need condom because gay."
My new 3.5 D&D campaign. Now Recruiting!
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: May 16, 2017, 10:50:58 pm »

Yeah if it really was as simple as "simply make your OS right and it's virus-proof" then Windows would already be virus proof.

Don't ya think that if there were actually virus-proof ways of doing everything that were 100% open source and/or public domain then Microsoft would be 100% capable of copying how they work even without copying the code itself?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: May 16, 2017, 11:32:11 pm »

Linux has Clamwin as its native AV suite even.

Linux for home users is kinda.. hmm.. If you dont understand proper user security, you wont use it properly, and you wont get anywhere near the right protection from the OS model that Linux offers. We will leave it at that.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: May 17, 2017, 02:57:52 am »

Linux for home users is kinda.. hmm.. If you dont understand proper user security, you wont use it properly, and you wont get anywhere near the right protection from the OS model that Linux offers. We will leave it at that.

Oh good old Clamwin. Slow, full of false positives, and yet still better than most other antivirus software on the market.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: May 17, 2017, 08:42:19 am »

Oh good old Clamwin. Slow, full of false positives, and yet still better than most other antivirus software on the market.

I, for one, would NOT recommend the free AVG.

I tried it once.

Then I opened task manager one day and noticed there was a huge list of the same task from AVG web protect or whatever the hell it's supposed to be.

The damn thing didn't stay on my hard drive for very long.
Steam Profile
Lazy Tenno Medical Crisis-Prone Whiskey-Passing Musical Carjacking Slippery Brawling Larcenous Part-Time Crazed Gunman of Literature

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: May 17, 2017, 01:10:32 pm »

Most anti-virus software is basically like having a virus on your computer. They hog huge amounts of resources and throw up pop-ups constantly.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: May 17, 2017, 07:36:25 pm »

Is ClamWin any diferent?
Steam Profile

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: May 17, 2017, 11:45:27 pm »

They dont waste resources on pretty GUIs and nag screens. It is not really a real-time virus suite either. what it *IS*, is a very powerful command line driven scanning engine with good heuristics checking.

The windows port DOES have an integrated GUI, but is still not a realtime scanner.
http://www.clamwin.com/

It is great for putting on read only boot media, used for cleaning infections. If you want realtime protection, look somewhere else.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226