Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 482902 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3315 on: April 09, 2017, 09:18:49 am »

Something very odd has happened to my PC. Within the last week, the bottom has dropped out of my video card performance (which wasn't that great in the first place, since I spent my video card upgrade money on a van). All my temps are fine, and pure CPU applications work as they should, but I've gone from ~40 FPS in World Of Tanks to 4.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: April 09, 2017, 09:30:53 am »

Something very odd has happened to my PC. Within the last week, the bottom has dropped out of my video card performance (which wasn't that great in the first place, since I spent my video card upgrade money on a van). All my temps are fine, and pure CPU applications work as they should, but I've gone from ~40 FPS in World Of Tanks to 4.

Could be anything. Sounds kind of like the GPU dying.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: April 09, 2017, 09:51:12 am »

The GPU dying, or WG pushing a fucking awful update that screws up optimization. Again. Test some other games you have standard levels of performance on.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: April 09, 2017, 09:57:14 am »

I ran several games with poor results, but after going back to a driver from December things work fine again, so it appears to be Nvidia pushing a poison driver again.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: April 09, 2017, 10:20:55 am »

Gotta love it when they push a driver intended for their latest flagship card... that mysteriously cripples their older offers. :P

I noticed that a lot over the years.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: April 11, 2017, 01:18:54 am »

Alright so, I've got this fairly old computer blowing like a rocket when I watch twitch or play Runescape.

This happened because I installed new graphics drivers and messed around for quite awhile to try and fix the issue.
I did this because Runescape said my drivers were old.

The ATI install manager put a bunch of stuff on my system, I didn't know what to pick through.
But reinstalling and some other junk straight up did not solve the issue of old drivers.

However, I later discovered the option to download the
16.- something driver update
or
16-something beta update.

This luckily didn't brick my computer, but in doing so my computer fan now blows hard and fast when it seems unnecessary, while watching twitch streams.

My fan adjusts itself to various levels, far above what I should need for browsing and primitive games like Runescape. The version 16 updates were still listed in the install manager so I'm assuming the install was bugged.

I shoot up to 100% hard drive useage and everything seems to want a piece of my drive. Except when nothing is running, in which case the useage and fan falls back down to zero.

How do I fix something that isn't properly installed?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:43:26 am by eerr »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: April 16, 2017, 07:27:38 am »

try ublock origin

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: April 16, 2017, 10:48:07 am »

Adblock is no longer supported. ublock is the replacement.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: April 17, 2017, 07:42:07 pm »

Adblocker Ultimate is also very good.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: April 21, 2017, 09:45:43 am »

If anybody knows about inverters and monitors, I could use a bit of direction.

A while ago my monitor began to black screen after a half second of uptime, and recently I discovered that if I shone a flashlight I could still see the image if I tried really hard. This is an inverter problem, I think?

It is an old Neovo E-19A model, and I've had it for a long time. I don't particularly want to have to pay up for a whole new monitor, being hard on money, but if this is a problem I can solve with repair rather than replace that would help a lot.

I have an imgur album of the disassembled back here, and I can get more if needed.

If someone could tell me what to get (and by that I mean literally point me at the item to buy) or any obvious issues you see that I can't, please let me know. I think I can get access to soldering equipment if that would help.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: April 21, 2017, 05:27:58 pm »

So I've been able to play Survival Crisis Z, but the frame rate is really bad. I haven't had frame rate issues like this on other ones, especially not on games with similar graphics levels.

Anyone have any idea how to fix said frame rate issues?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: April 23, 2017, 12:57:22 pm »

Looking up a replacement battery pack for my old, bricky netbook. While I can find a ton of charger cables for its specific model - Acer Aspire One D257-1471 - I only seem to be able to find the actual battery for model D257(no -1471, and there are other D257 models). If I get a battery pack for D257, would it be compatible with D257-1471?

I might not even need it, I'm just looking it in case I do. Right now its running time is limited by the fact that I need to replace the thermal paste.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: April 23, 2017, 01:47:52 pm »

Unless the shells are crazy different there should be no difference in battery between submodels.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: May 16, 2017, 04:21:42 pm »

Anyone run Linux Ubuntu?

I gather I don't need anti-virus because its Linux but is Firebox susceptible to brower hijackers and annoying shit like that? I don't typically browse or download sketchy shit but when I do...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: May 16, 2017, 08:55:14 pm »

Linux is not virus proof. The only major security advantage it offers over Windows is that it is much less common as a home PC environment, so it is a much less useful target for attacks. Saying "I don't need antivirus because linux" is akin to saying "I don't need condom because gay."
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 347