Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 492143 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3330 on: May 16, 2017, 10:50:58 pm »

Yeah if it really was as simple as "simply make your OS right and it's virus-proof" then Windows would already be virus proof.

Don't ya think that if there were actually virus-proof ways of doing everything that were 100% open source and/or public domain then Microsoft would be 100% capable of copying how they work even without copying the code itself?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: May 16, 2017, 11:32:11 pm »

Linux has Clamwin as its native AV suite even.

Linux for home users is kinda.. hmm.. If you dont understand proper user security, you wont use it properly, and you wont get anywhere near the right protection from the OS model that Linux offers. We will leave it at that.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: May 17, 2017, 02:57:52 am »

Linux for home users is kinda.. hmm.. If you dont understand proper user security, you wont use it properly, and you wont get anywhere near the right protection from the OS model that Linux offers. We will leave it at that.

Oh good old Clamwin. Slow, full of false positives, and yet still better than most other antivirus software on the market.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: May 17, 2017, 08:42:19 am »

Oh good old Clamwin. Slow, full of false positives, and yet still better than most other antivirus software on the market.

I, for one, would NOT recommend the free AVG.

I tried it once.

Then I opened task manager one day and noticed there was a huge list of the same task from AVG web protect or whatever the hell it's supposed to be.

The damn thing didn't stay on my hard drive for very long.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: May 17, 2017, 01:10:32 pm »

Most anti-virus software is basically like having a virus on your computer. They hog huge amounts of resources and throw up pop-ups constantly.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: May 17, 2017, 07:36:25 pm »

Is ClamWin any diferent?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: May 17, 2017, 11:45:27 pm »

They dont waste resources on pretty GUIs and nag screens. It is not really a real-time virus suite either. what it *IS*, is a very powerful command line driven scanning engine with good heuristics checking.

The windows port DOES have an integrated GUI, but is still not a realtime scanner.
http://www.clamwin.com/

It is great for putting on read only boot media, used for cleaning infections. If you want realtime protection, look somewhere else.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: May 18, 2017, 02:23:48 pm »

My windows "Optimize Drives" app claims my hard drive is 5% fragmented.

My Piriform Defraggler claims my hard drive is about 9% fragmented.

Which one is more reliable as an indicator.

Also, does defragmenting game files help them run in any fashion?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: May 18, 2017, 02:30:26 pm »

If fragments per file is below 3, probably not that big a deal.

If there are lots of fragments, and they are ALL OVER THE DAMN DRIVE-- then defragmenting will improve performance.  The reason, is because random seeks and random reads are more time consuming to complete than linear reads.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: May 19, 2017, 10:15:12 am »

A shame that they refuse to update Combofix to Windows 10.

EDIT: In other stuff, how does this look for a reasonable 2K monitor?
Combofix has been well integrated within Windows XP Vista and 7. After 8, Microsoft started making alot of changes within the kernel code that combofix exploits. Combining that and constant updates its hard to keep up. Honestly with this day n age its easy to restore computers now. Windows 10 itself has a reset mode to clear programs and settings while keeping your files. My windows key itself is attached to my microsoft account so I dont even need to keep record of my key anymore.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: May 19, 2017, 11:14:12 am »

Getting something small, but I can't figure out what exactly is causing it.  There are a few, specific pages that always load for a few seconds, start displaying, then give me the 'problem loading page' error with the descriptor of 'the connection was reset'.  Similar pages on the site will load just fine, it's just a few specific ones that are doing it.  Anyone have any idea what might be happening and how to fix this?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: May 19, 2017, 02:03:34 pm »

Getting something small, but I can't figure out what exactly is causing it.  There are a few, specific pages that always load for a few seconds, start displaying, then give me the 'problem loading page' error with the descriptor of 'the connection was reset'.  Similar pages on the site will load just fine, it's just a few specific ones that are doing it.  Anyone have any idea what might be happening and how to fix this?

Is there any more information people need to answer this?  Whatever is happening is showing up on a few more pages now, and I want to get this fixed before it bites me in the ass when I'm trying to apply for jobs.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: May 19, 2017, 02:17:50 pm »

what browser are you using? Chrome or Firefox? Does it happen if you switch browsers?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: May 19, 2017, 02:20:04 pm »

what browser are you using? Chrome or Firefox? Does it happen if you switch browsers?

Attempted to reach both pages using both Firefox and Chrome.  The same 'page partially shows up before going to the problem loading page' thing happened both times for the same listed reason of the connection being reset.

Edit: Does not happen if I use a different device.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:26:13 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: May 19, 2017, 02:43:48 pm »

Clear cache and cookies and check your network settings, make sure you are not on a proxy.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 347