Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 482867 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3345 on: May 19, 2017, 03:28:02 pm »

Clear cache and cookies and check your network settings, make sure you are not on a proxy.

Tried former two before and before posting, didn't help.  Used ipconfig and did not see anything related to a proxy enabled.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: May 19, 2017, 03:32:20 pm »

It would be specific to your browser since it cannot be done computer wide.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: May 19, 2017, 03:43:16 pm »

It would be specific to your browser since it cannot be done computer wide.

It can be done on any browser I have.  What I had said in the edit was when I accessed via my phone.

Anyway, even when I tried the 'no proxy' setting, it still didn't work.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: May 19, 2017, 03:43:42 pm »

Does frequent defragmenting shorten a hard drive's life?

It's not a Solid-State Drive, by the way.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: May 19, 2017, 04:31:51 pm »

Mistyped earlier.  Firefox is the one that breaks off connection with the error, but Chrome seems to be doing an infinite loading of the relevant pages.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: May 19, 2017, 08:10:55 pm »

So, a while back I acquired a bit of software from a friend. I have had it on my computer for several months, and encountered no problems. Just now, I performed a scan with HitmanPro.Alert (using the free trial) and it flagged it as a very specific piece of ransomware (Win.Trojan.DMALocker-1).
I already removed the program as a precaution, but it seems a bit strange to me. If it was a ransomware, why would it not have attacked yet? Why is it only getting flagged now? (admittedly, previous scans were with the base hitman version) What are the odds that it is a false positive, or the malware is inert?

I'm not really a super technical guy when it comes to this stuff. I understand how stuff works, but not much of what it means.

Can any of you shed some light on this thing for me? I kinda hate not knowing what happened or if I need to do anything else.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: May 19, 2017, 11:47:35 pm »

Alright well this will reply to multiple requests
Does frequent defragmenting shorten a hard drive's life?

It's not a Solid-State Drive, by the way.
While hard drives are much more superior for long term storage frequent rewrites for instance with defragging would effect your disk health. However to see that type of effect you would have to be defragging terabytes a day. Windows 8 and up created improvements with the file system to minimize fragmentation, you dont have to do it as much from before.
Mistyped earlier.  Firefox is the one that breaks off connection with the error, but Chrome seems to be doing an infinite loading of the relevant pages.
Could you try running a traceroute to this website and post your results? I want to see if you are connecting correctly to this site.
So, a while back I acquired a bit of software from a friend. I have had it on my computer for several months, and encountered no problems. Just now, I performed a scan with HitmanPro.Alert (using the free trial) and it flagged it as a very specific piece of ransomware (Win.Trojan.DMALocker-1).
I already removed the program as a precaution, but it seems a bit strange to me. If it was a ransomware, why would it not have attacked yet? Why is it only getting flagged now? (admittedly, previous scans were with the base hitman version) What are the odds that it is a false positive, or the malware is inert?

I'm not really a super technical guy when it comes to this stuff. I understand how stuff works, but not much of what it means.

Can any of you shed some light on this thing for me? I kinda hate not knowing what happened or if I need to do anything else.
Was this software pirated by chance? Alot of times with cracks and patches antiviruses would flag them as malicious because it doesn't match the original code or can make changes to sensitive areas. I myself is not a big fan of hitman, I would recommend running malwarebytes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: May 20, 2017, 01:38:10 pm »

Im having a new problem with internet access on my laptop. I can connect to a wifi network or tether to my phone, the computer seems to belive theres internet access, but at the same time it will not load any webpage or connect to any websites. This happens not just on browsers but every program that tries to connect to the internet; steam, minecraft or starmade launchers, windows processes, etc. In firefox it behaves like its going to load a webpage, but will sit there loading indefinitely, without success, blank page.

On wednesday windows 10 installed an automatic update, the problem started soon after though i didnt have access to internet at all until thursday. I really dont know where to start with this issue, like could it be that the update changed some obscure setting somewhere? Should i attempt to roll back the system to the previous build, and how would i do that?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: May 20, 2017, 02:38:35 pm »

Try deleting your network adapter and rebooting.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: May 20, 2017, 03:59:10 pm »

After rebooting multiple times I can connect to the internet, didnt touch the adapter at all. Didn't change anything, in fact. Just shut it down and restarted it a few times, dismantled it and looked in the case, put it back together and started it again. Suddenly I can connect to the internet. I really have no idea whats going on now
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: May 22, 2017, 05:23:08 am »

Custom PC question:
Anybody here uses/used Corsair Graphite Series 760T computer case? I'm gonna go with this computer case for my future PC, and I wonder what power coil I should use? I want at least 1000-1200W power coil. Also, are ASUS MAXIMUS IX motherboards good? If so, which one I should choose?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:28:35 am by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: May 22, 2017, 03:17:56 pm »

The only thing that matters (besides aesthetics) in a computer case is how much space you have, and how good the airflow is inside. This is a huge case, and Corsair doesn't make any cases with inherently bad airflow, so you can put just about anything in it. It is, however, extremely expensive.

If by "power coil" you mean "power supply", that is the very last component you should pick out, as the rating you pick is dependent on the hardware you're using. There is little point to getting a 1000-1200 watt power supply if your entire system only draws less than 600W - which is enough to run a top-end i5, a high end video card, and three hard drives with ease.

The motherboard in question is ludicrously expensive, and offers little practical benefit from most perspectives. A Z170-E or Z170-K will do everything the MAXIMUM IX will do, for less than half the cost.

Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: May 23, 2017, 12:11:03 pm »

Yes, I've meant "power supply". Also, I thought i7 is better than i5 in pretty much every way, or it does have a few drawbacks to the i5 processors (I'm able to buy 7700K Kaby Lake 4.2 MHz)?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: May 23, 2017, 12:40:01 pm »

The drawback to an i7 is that they cost twice as much as a same-grade i5 (such as i5 7600 vs i7 7700), for virtually (or often literally) zero increase in performance for most purposes.

The i7 has a marginally higher clock speed, and has 4 virtual cores in addition to the four physical ones fond on both i5 and i7 processors. For most games, this translates into frame rate increases of 0-5 FPS.

The only areas where an i7 is beneficial is in highly threaded applications. For most users, only editing/rendering video and high resolution photo benefits. If you are not doing large amounts of this, then buying an i7 is essentially throwing money into the trash.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: May 24, 2017, 08:37:33 pm »

AMD is a good alternative if you want something in between the i5 and i7 with their new Ryzen chips. Pricewise they are very good 250 for a hexacore with hyperthreading.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 347