Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 238

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 145843 times)

Ispil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3360 on: May 17, 2017, 11:49:44 pm »

A shame that they refuse to update Combofix to Windows 10.

EDIT: In other stuff, how does this look for a reasonable 2K monitor?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:13:51 am by Ispil »
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."- Voltaire

I transcribe things, too.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not dead yet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: May 18, 2017, 02:23:48 pm »

My windows "Optimize Drives" app claims my hard drive is 5% fragmented.

My Piriform Defraggler claims my hard drive is about 9% fragmented.

Which one is more reliable as an indicator.

Also, does defragmenting game files help them run in any fashion?
Voices from The Net: My excuse for not posting in OOCQ anymore.
Steam Profile
Bank-Robbing Sorta Stealthy Moderately Murderous Crazed Gunman

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: May 18, 2017, 02:30:26 pm »

If fragments per file is below 3, probably not that big a deal.

If there are lots of fragments, and they are ALL OVER THE DAMN DRIVE-- then defragmenting will improve performance.  The reason, is because random seeks and random reads are more time consuming to complete than linear reads.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: May 19, 2017, 10:15:12 am »

A shame that they refuse to update Combofix to Windows 10.

EDIT: In other stuff, how does this look for a reasonable 2K monitor?
Combofix has been well integrated within Windows XP Vista and 7. After 8, Microsoft started making alot of changes within the kernel code that combofix exploits. Combining that and constant updates its hard to keep up. Honestly with this day n age its easy to restore computers now. Windows 10 itself has a reset mode to clear programs and settings while keeping your files. My windows key itself is attached to my microsoft account so I dont even need to keep record of my key anymore.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: May 19, 2017, 11:14:12 am »

Getting something small, but I can't figure out what exactly is causing it.  There are a few, specific pages that always load for a few seconds, start displaying, then give me the 'problem loading page' error with the descriptor of 'the connection was reset'.  Similar pages on the site will load just fine, it's just a few specific ones that are doing it.  Anyone have any idea what might be happening and how to fix this?
A Rose for a Kingdom (FF.net) - A YGO/RWBY crossover I'm working on that may take time away from posting.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: May 19, 2017, 02:03:34 pm »

Getting something small, but I can't figure out what exactly is causing it.  There are a few, specific pages that always load for a few seconds, start displaying, then give me the 'problem loading page' error with the descriptor of 'the connection was reset'.  Similar pages on the site will load just fine, it's just a few specific ones that are doing it.  Anyone have any idea what might be happening and how to fix this?

Is there any more information people need to answer this?  Whatever is happening is showing up on a few more pages now, and I want to get this fixed before it bites me in the ass when I'm trying to apply for jobs.
A Rose for a Kingdom (FF.net) - A YGO/RWBY crossover I'm working on that may take time away from posting.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: May 19, 2017, 02:17:50 pm »

what browser are you using? Chrome or Firefox? Does it happen if you switch browsers?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: May 19, 2017, 02:20:04 pm »

what browser are you using? Chrome or Firefox? Does it happen if you switch browsers?

Attempted to reach both pages using both Firefox and Chrome.  The same 'page partially shows up before going to the problem loading page' thing happened both times for the same listed reason of the connection being reset.

Edit: Does not happen if I use a different device.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:26:13 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: May 19, 2017, 02:43:48 pm »

Clear cache and cookies and check your network settings, make sure you are not on a proxy.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: May 19, 2017, 03:28:02 pm »

Clear cache and cookies and check your network settings, make sure you are not on a proxy.

Tried former two before and before posting, didn't help.  Used ipconfig and did not see anything related to a proxy enabled.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: May 19, 2017, 03:32:20 pm »

It would be specific to your browser since it cannot be done computer wide.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: May 19, 2017, 03:43:16 pm »

It would be specific to your browser since it cannot be done computer wide.

It can be done on any browser I have.  What I had said in the edit was when I accessed via my phone.

Anyway, even when I tried the 'no proxy' setting, it still didn't work.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not dead yet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: May 19, 2017, 03:43:42 pm »

Does frequent defragmenting shorten a hard drive's life?

It's not a Solid-State Drive, by the way.
Voices from The Net: My excuse for not posting in OOCQ anymore.
Steam Profile
Bank-Robbing Sorta Stealthy Moderately Murderous Crazed Gunman

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: May 19, 2017, 04:31:51 pm »

Mistyped earlier.  Firefox is the one that breaks off connection with the error, but Chrome seems to be doing an infinite loading of the relevant pages.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Crisper Child Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: May 19, 2017, 08:10:55 pm »

So, a while back I acquired a bit of software from a friend. I have had it on my computer for several months, and encountered no problems. Just now, I performed a scan with HitmanPro.Alert (using the free trial) and it flagged it as a very specific piece of ransomware (Win.Trojan.DMALocker-1).
I already removed the program as a precaution, but it seems a bit strange to me. If it was a ransomware, why would it not have attacked yet? Why is it only getting flagged now? (admittedly, previous scans were with the base hitman version) What are the odds that it is a false positive, or the malware is inert?

I'm not really a super technical guy when it comes to this stuff. I understand how stuff works, but not much of what it means.

Can any of you shed some light on this thing for me? I kinda hate not knowing what happened or if I need to do anything else.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
So, basically, we have a hovercraft that explodes when used.
Still, Chief, you are correct. It is an excellent dog fighter. It managed to nail the one dog present in the audience.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 238