Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 493881 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3390 on: June 09, 2017, 03:30:41 am »

Which HDD trademark I should choose; Seagate Barracuda or WD Black, Red, etc? It's for my future desktop, if you are curious.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: June 09, 2017, 04:16:37 am »

Seagate drives have recently suffered in build quality as of late.

The WD drives are better, but surprisingly, Samsung and Toshiba seem to have better longevity numbers.

If you decide on a WD product, it should be for some other compelling reason-- WD breaks their product line up for intended use cases. For a desktop, you probably DO NOT want RED. Red is for NAS boxes, like Synology's products, Green is mostly for external hard drive enclosures on low speed interfaces, Purple is for use in surveillance systems (high full spindle time applications)  You would want a Black (Desktop grade spinny disk), or Blue (Desktop grade spinny disk, with an SSD cache integrated.)  OR-- just get an SSD.

Personally, I would go for a motherboard with an M.2 socket, and get a reasonably priced SSD to go in it. Several nice ones based on nvme memory are available pretty inexpensively these days. I would get an ordinary, plain jane Toshiba or Samnsung spinny disk to go along with it for swap and other heavy write purposes.

Here's such a beast as far as SSD is concerned.
https://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-80mm-Express-PCIe-240GB/dp/B01M4OO1FT/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1496999980&sr=1-3&keywords=m.2+nvme

It is a 240gb nvme based SSD. It will be retardedly fast, and has a fraction of the pricetag of other similarly size and type ssd.

M.2 is a little thing about the size of a big stick of DRAM, that mounts directly onto the motherboard. It has its own dedicated controller, and is retarded fast.  I have one in my i5.  MyDigital is kind of a knockoff brand, which is why it is cheap. Their products are surprisingly good though. I got a 128gb one some time ago for like 80$. You can get the exact same one for 60$ on newegg today.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA53D3W24030&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Solid+State+Disk-_-9SIA53D3W24030&gclid=CNumzeu4sNQCFQqEaQod-08KFg&gclsrc=aw.ds

The idea there is to have the OS and the like installed on the SSD, but to have all your heavy disk accessing stuff (like browser caches, swap file, etc--) all on a companion spinny disk. A cheap drive is sufficient.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 04:26:49 am by wierd »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: June 11, 2017, 06:57:20 am »

Hoo boy. So I got a windows 10 computer awhile back, and decided to buy a copy of windows 7 as well to transfer my old computer to a seperate partition. After like 9000 problems which I was able to solve myself one at a time over the last few months, my computer is now unusable. Allow me to explain.

My monitor is a dell. Apparently for some asinine bullshit reason this is an issue.

Here's the process I went through. Run the windows 7 installation to a seperate partition. Up until the mandatory reboot this goes flawlessly with one exception: The resolution lowers for no reason. But I said to myself "Whatever, I can just change it back after install completes. No big deal."

But then the restart finishes, and a message pops up saying essentially this: "Input not supported. Change to this resolution." Naturally I can't change resolution with only a black fucking screen to work with. "Amusingly" said resolution is in fact the resolution that IT WOULD BE ON IF IT DIDN'T CHANGE FOR NO FUCKING REASON.

I reboot, and delete the borked install.

So I look into it, and apparently the issue is that dell monitors basically can't install any version of windows with hmdi enabled. No, I have no idea why. Nor does anyone else I guess.

"Okay, I'll buy a vga cable. Its like 10 dollars, and I'll just return it if it doesn't work anyway I suppose." So I do. I turn everything off as instructed. I unplug hdmi, and plug in vga. (Apparently having both plugged in makes things go all screwy.) I turn it on, and set my monitor to use vga. "No vga input detected."

Fucking what? Oh windows 10 doesn't support vga, you have to turn it on manually.

Ok. I do so after getting hdmi back in. In other words, I enable low resolution mode. I shut down, replace cables for the Nth time. "Vga input not detected."

...... Turn computer off, vga cables out, hdmi in.

"No hdmi signal." And here we fucking go. Now I can't use vga or hdmi, so my desktop now can't display a signal to my monitor.

I don't want to buy a new (old?) monitor. Is there any way to fix this or am I permanently fucked.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 07:11:29 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: June 11, 2017, 07:09:07 am »

Try a DVI cable?
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: June 11, 2017, 07:14:21 am »

No dvi port on the monitor. Besides I'd have to buy one, as I don't have one.
Edit: Found an old monitor to test. Not very hopeful though. Especially considering it is also a dell.
Edit: Yep that didn't work either.
Edit: Just going to buy a monitor that doesn't suck I guess.
Edit: New monitor is garbage too. Will return it later. Going to try dvi next, but that will be awhile.
Edit: I got safe mode working. Should be able to handle it from here.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 04:30:23 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: June 15, 2017, 07:00:10 pm »

Considering getting a graphics tablet. Nothing serious, something that's <$100. Mainly, it's a bit difficult to draw anything since I'm left-handed for things like writing and drawing while my mouse is right-handed. ...And have crap skill on top of that.

There's a few I've seen that would fit what I'm looking for, but some recommendations would help.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3396 on: June 15, 2017, 07:45:45 pm »

Considering getting a graphics tablet. Nothing serious, something that's <$100. Mainly, it's a bit difficult to draw anything since I'm left-handed for things like writing and drawing while my mouse is right-handed. ...And have crap skill on top of that.

There's a few I've seen that would fit what I'm looking for, but some recommendations would help.
I have a Wacom Intuos. It's very small (12 inches wide) but it works great. I'd definitely prefer one of those massive ones with a giant high res display but if you're on a budget the Intuos is good.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: June 20, 2017, 07:14:48 pm »

Windows got corrupted and I had to reinstall it. Now I am having some issues with installing AMD Crimson. I remember last time I had this problem, I had to update windows, but here's the catch: it's failing whenever I try to download the service pack 1. Can anyone recommend any way to get that manually?

EDIT: Managed to figure it out. A damn bother, though.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:47:06 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: June 21, 2017, 03:26:47 am »

I keep a handful of things useful for reloading win7 systems on my NAS, and the offline install SP1 is one of them. Nvidia driver package being another, etc.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: June 21, 2017, 07:47:30 am »

Microsoft likes to build a new install disc every few months with all their latest updates, you can try to look for a new iso with SP1 builtin.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: June 21, 2017, 08:56:32 pm »

The problem is that some of their updates I do not like.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: June 22, 2017, 04:57:23 am »

The problem is that some of their updates I do not like.

Doesn't Windows Update allow you to pick and choose installed updates to remove?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: June 22, 2017, 03:01:41 pm »

Not if its built into the install disc, you cannot remove updates from there without some serious hacking to the image file.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: June 23, 2017, 01:24:15 am »

nlite finally released a win7 compatible tool. One can create their own custom install disk if they REALLY want to.

It does 7 through 10.

https://www.ntlite.com/

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: June 23, 2017, 06:55:39 pm »

I just got a new keyboard, which lacks a key for putting my computer in Sleep mode that the previous keyboard had. I've been trying to find a keymapper program to remap it to something modified via the Fn key - for example the function keys F1-F10 have extra functions if pressed while the Fn key is held*. I'd like to put sleep mode on either Fn+F11 or Fn+F12. I've had no such luck finding a keymapper that does this.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 347