Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 483171 times)

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3480 on: August 18, 2017, 12:34:00 pm »

Probably a really dumb question, but I'll ask. Are nylon zip-ties safe to use inside of a computer? I mean, nylon is supposed to build up static electricity easily or is that a different kind of nylon?
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: August 18, 2017, 03:08:26 pm »

So I just ran Defraggler and I got a disk health warning. My number of reallocated partitions is around 100, which is apparently relevant to the disk's health.

What should I do to prepare for whatever might happen?
=

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: August 18, 2017, 09:12:56 pm »

Purchase a replacement hard drive or same or larger capacity, then image the drive onto the new one. Retire old drive. Do it now, before you have totally unrecoverable sectors.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: August 19, 2017, 10:08:13 am »

How do I image the old drive?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: August 20, 2017, 08:11:35 am »

Linux live CD:

Boot the liveCD, then make note of which disk device has partitions on it. (a brand new disk will not have any.) Once you have satisfied yourself that you have without question identified which device is the source, and which is the destination, use dd to do the imaging.

sudo dd if=/dev/devIDofSource of=/dev/devIDofDest bs=512 sync

If it fails due to a read error, use gddrescue instead.

Norton Ghost:
Boot the CD, and follow the on screen instructions

Arconis disk manager:
Similar to Ghost, but does not use a boot disk, iirc. Never used it, always used linux to do it instead

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: August 20, 2017, 11:06:38 am »

So I found my old dstt sd card for my fat Nintendo DS and it has 40 or so games on it and all my pokemon but i just found out DS servers are shut down. Can I transfer them to my smartphone then onto a newer DS?
I have no clue and im pretty gutted cause I wanted to give my pokemon to my obsessed friend
××××××××××××××××××

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: August 20, 2017, 07:52:58 pm »

Looks like the dstt is the progenitor to the infamous R4 cards.

If so, the save files are just sram dump files.

In what way are you trying to give him your pokemon exactly?  Something like system link?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: August 20, 2017, 08:54:37 pm »

Got a bit of a SMB problem with a friend's network. He picked up one of these, installed DD-WRT on it, and configured it as a switch with WiFi. Everything seems to work perfectly (excellent WiFi speeds and ranges, reliable internet to all devices), except that the HDD attatched to the router becomes inaccessible via SMB after about an hour or so, and only shows up again after rebooting. We're assuming that there's some sort of timeout function somewhere, but can't find it.

The network consists of a Win10 computer, a Win8 computer, various Android devices, and occasionally a few retro systems running XP or 98.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: August 20, 2017, 10:33:59 pm »

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_storage check this out, my guess is the disk is spinning down and is no longer waking up.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: August 20, 2017, 11:23:45 pm »

could also be an issue with low ram on the router. I used to have similar problems with netgear router, even on stock firmware.  Actual consumer grade NAS boxes have nearly 10 times the memory installed, and substantially beefier processors. Samba is designed around being installed on sensible hardware for the task, not on mcBoxes.

My guess is that the system runs out of free memory for filesystem caching, then gets caught in a contention problem.  Sadly, there is no way to add ram to a consumer router.

Check out T's suggestion first, but if it does not resolve it, suggest an actual, good quality NAS box instead.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: August 21, 2017, 02:57:58 am »

So my ADSL1 connection has been consistently dropping out over the last nearly two weeks. It's done this before, then stops for a significant period of time; the last time it occurred was in February. I replaced the router with a spare one a mate gave me, which mitigated some of the issues of the dropped connection (this router manages to actually get the connection back without either crashing or restarting), but it's still occurring multiple times per hour.

Last night, I tried to access a 25MB PDF for uni studies, and it failed 36 times before I finally got through.

Given the problem has persisted across routers, is it likely that the line is just fucked? The house itself is not old; it'll be 16 at the end of the year.

Reposting, same problem still occurring. What do?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: August 21, 2017, 03:15:54 am »

Likely useless exercise, but the only real route to solution:

Contact your ISP, and tell them about your signal issues.  Tell them to fix their shit. (politely, of course.)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3492 on: August 22, 2017, 03:28:19 am »

That's almost certainly a flaw in the wire somewhere. Any trees near the line in your area?

If you can demonstrate to your ISP that it's broken, they will almost certainly repair it (although not necessarily fast). If you can demonstrate that you've had degraded service, you might even squeeze compensation out of them.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: August 22, 2017, 06:51:12 am »

That's almost certainly a flaw in the wire somewhere. Any trees near the line in your area?

If you can demonstrate to your ISP that it's broken, they will almost certainly repair it (although not necessarily fast). If you can demonstrate that you've had degraded service, you might even squeeze compensation out of them.

The only trees in my area are too small and young to have broken or disrupted the line. It is possible that the bizarre system the national telecom company installed 16-ish years ago (pair gains? i don't entirely understand it, but it's something like multiple houses being treated as one, and split at the premises) might have something to do with it, but uh, i don't know.

Anyway, stability wise it's much improved; the dropouts have gone from twelve to thirty times an hour to maybe three times a day. Speed wise it has not improved one bit; it's been very slow, probably not more than 10-40KB/s, where our normal maximum is 150-180KB/s.

I've tried mentioning to my parents that the internet is basically unusable at home, and as we're out of contract we can just move to a new ISP, but it doesn't really affect them as they just use their 4G connection on their phone, so their motivation is almost-nil. I'd front up for it myself, but currently I have nowhere near enough money to go to a new ISP.

For the price they're paying ($90AUD/mo), it's really fucking shit. A comparable costing service with any competitor now that the NBN has gone through would see us getting 50Mb/s and an unlimited download rate, vs 1Mb/s if we're lucky and 300GB.

Current speed test:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:29:41 am by Reudh »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: August 31, 2017, 10:31:37 am »

Running Xubuntu 16.04 on a HP Elitebook 8570w. I'm having weird problems with my headphones (any headphones, upon further testing.) ALSA seems to believe that they are actually speakers, rather than headphones--changing the "Headphones" volume setting does nothing, but changing the "Speakers" setting changes the volume. Apparently, the hardware disagrees, because when they're plugged in, the audio defaults to max Headphones volume and muted Speakers. Any idea how to fix this?

E: I tried some other ideas (namely, I completely uninstalled and reinstalled ALSA and PulseAudio, including rebooting the computer.) Still nothing. I'm dual-booting with Windows 7 as well.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:39:02 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 347