Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 482924 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3525 on: October 20, 2017, 02:38:44 am »

If you still have the ISO file, it's easy enough to put that onto a USB.

Just download this: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: October 26, 2017, 03:35:52 am »

I have an annoying little problem with Windows. I'm using desktop.ini to add sortable tags to my folders with anime in as so:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It would be nice if Windows let you just specify generic properties for folders, but this is the best you can do without hax / 3rd party utilities.

This works ok except for two things. "Prop6" is meant to be "Comment" however I can't find the column that actually makes that appear. And the InfoTip field appears in the tooltip for the folder, and also under Windows "Comments" field (which you'd expect would show Prop6 according to Microsoft's documentation, but doesn't), except it only appears for about 2/3rds of folders and there appears to be no rhyme or reason to it.

EDIT ... I just tried a workaround, but it's stupid as hell (clone a "good" folder, then replace the contents with those of a "bad" folder, then delete the bad folder, then rename the "clone" folder to the original name). So it's just broken. Entirely empty folders with the same attributes are sometimes broken for tooltips / comments until you delete them. I've run Attrib on both the folders and desktop.ini files and they're no different.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:06:48 am by Reelya »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: October 26, 2017, 03:30:59 pm »

Update on the malware situation:

I know which folders contain the malware, but they've been locked by "administrator permissions".

I can't access them or delete the folders.

Fiddling around with permissions has accomplished nothing.

Any ideas of how to delete these folders?

EDIT:

Running Adwcleaner has just resulted in me removing the same items again and again, with those items reappearing each time.

Double Edit:

FileAssassin is unable to delete the files.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:39:36 pm by AzyWng »

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: October 26, 2017, 03:37:53 pm »

They're probably being installed by the malware you cannot delete. Might be able to delete them with admin access command prompt or something. And kill every process that isn't critical prior to trying that.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: October 26, 2017, 05:54:21 pm »

Renaming folders and/or files sometimes works. Removing files one by one until it breaks the malware can help. Usually requires a reboot to keep it from autostarting. msconfig to turn off the autostart.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: October 26, 2017, 06:09:07 pm »

Easiest is to revoke execute permission and special permissions from the files, then reboot.  After that, the thing cannot run, so you can delete after re-granting yourself access.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: October 26, 2017, 10:53:09 pm »

Safe mode reboot would also be something worth trying. Also look into registry editing to turn off any optional start-up processes, or use a utility for that.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3532 on: October 27, 2017, 10:53:12 am »

Firefox is eating 1.5 to 2 gigs worth of memory. Firefox is up to date and I've turned off all my plugins and enabled hardware acceleration but nothing is helping. I've only opened 15 tabs, and even when I close the tabs it doesn't let go of my RAM. This is starting to impact the performance of my computer. I'm running Windows 10.

I'd like to fix this, but I have to consider just switching to another browser. Any recommendations for a browser that isn't Chrome?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: October 27, 2017, 11:48:44 am »

Yeah, Firefox is still leaky if you open a lot of tabs then close them, some of the memory isn't freed up. If you check out the page "about:memory" then click "Minimize Memory Usage" it will clear a little of the jam, but you'll notice that the amount of memory Firefox thinks it's using is much less than they amount Windows thinks it's using. Hence, it's leaky and you can't do a thing about that except close Firefox.

Even in safe mode, it leaks, so it's not necessarily add-ons doing that. Opening my browser in normal mode used ~470MB, safe mode ~170MB. I have about a half dozen extensions. Opening 40 tabs got that up to 2GB on normal, 1GB in safe mode. Then closing all the tabs and doing "Minimize memory Uage" safe mode still shows a leak of about 150MB, and the normal mode had a leak of about 300MB.

EDIT: there's some more info and slightly helpful tips below. It appears that the problem is actually fragmentation of memory pages. There's a chunk of memory in the about:memory called 'decommitted', which is memory that Firefox freed up but is still allocated to Firefox by the operating system. When Firefox frees up some memory, if there's any data at all left in that memory page then the entire page cannot be handed back to the operating system. So what happens as you open and close things is that the memory allocated to Firefox fragments. It's an operating system issue really, and it's going to affect all browsers.

https://slashdot.org/story/06/02/14/2154224/firefox-memory-leak-is-a-feature
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:20:33 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: October 27, 2017, 02:40:19 pm »

Firefox has gotten absolutely terrible after the most recent update. I routinely pull 3 or 4 gigs of RAM, and sometimes get near-slideshow performance levels if I do not restart the browser every 20 minutes. This didn't happen before the update.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: October 27, 2017, 02:45:14 pm »

I'm sticking with revision 56 to see what happens with all the extensions things. If I can't use GreaseMonkey that's a deal-breaker.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: October 27, 2017, 10:07:33 pm »

I've heard a number of bad reports about 56(.x) but 3 or 4 gig's... wow!  I've not experienced any great difference in the last few months, although messing with a few of the settings in about:config a while back definitely improved my performance.  An internet search might reveal some good candidates to try but it probably depends on your hardware and OS.

On the other hand I have only heard good things about 57, particularly the developer version https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/09/firefox-quantum-developer-edition-fastest-firefox-ever/ although I have not tried it myself.  Reports vary from somewhat faster to faster than anything I've experienced before and average to substantially faster.  Might be worth a try instead/before going to a new browser?

Edit: actually this link https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/desktop/#beta is better for downloading either developer on non-developer beta 57 (or even nightly 58 if you're up for it)  :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:18:06 pm by feelotraveller »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: October 29, 2017, 02:11:44 pm »

I've spent all day trying to free up space on my computer, no matter how much I deleted it never seemed to help. Then switched to my second desktop and realized my audio editing software was open and I'd been recording for 60 hours.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: October 29, 2017, 11:02:15 pm »

Try doing this in Safe mode as well, that will disable all services and processes not needed to boot. You should be able to work with your file permissions and delete the files.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3539 on: November 10, 2017, 12:30:33 pm »

there's some more info and slightly helpful tips below. It appears that the problem is actually fragmentation of memory pages. There's a chunk of memory in the about:memory called 'decommitted', which is memory that Firefox freed up but is still allocated to Firefox by the operating system. When Firefox frees up some memory, if there's any data at all left in that memory page then the entire page cannot be handed back to the operating system. So what happens as you open and close things is that the memory allocated to Firefox fragments. It's an operating system issue really, and it's going to affect all browsers.

https://slashdot.org/story/06/02/14/2154224/firefox-memory-leak-is-a-feature
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers
Yeah I switched to Vivaldi and the issue persists. It's gotten to the point where I'm getting memory warnings to close programs, but I can't just close my browser every 20 minutes, everything takes forever to load with my shitty net. I'm not sure what to do.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:33:47 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 347