Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 482994 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3540 on: November 11, 2017, 09:08:19 am »

This is more of a software thing but I guess it can be lumped in here.

I have issues with livestreams on YT and I can't figure out the cause. What happens, completely randomly is that the stream will show the buffering circle and stop but I don't think it has issue with that since I can open a regular video and it'll play just fine. I tried clearing the cache but it still happens, it's not a single stream either since it happened on several different ones. The only solution other than waiting a random amount of time for it to start playing again is to refresh the page. It's really irritating when I'm running these in the background for music or similar and have to keep going back to them to get them playing again. I'm using Firefox, don't think it's the latest version but it's not older than several months.

I've searched for the problem but the stuff that I've found hasn't been helpful in the slightest.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: November 11, 2017, 07:00:06 pm »

I've spent all day trying to free up space on my computer, no matter how much I deleted it never seemed to help. Then switched to my second desktop and realized my audio editing software was open and I'd been recording for 60 hours.
I must have this in my signature

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: November 23, 2017, 05:45:25 pm »

Another problem with Youtube and Firefox.

Recently I've updated to FF 57 and it's been pretty ok, except in the past couple of days YT has been absolutely shitting itself a good portion of the time. Mainly, either half the page doesn't load properly (like say the various share commands are there but can't be clicked for whatever reason, even after reloading multiple times) or there's no video, as in, the window is black while I can clearly see the audio playing normally. Even the playback commands are invisible, even tho they're perfectly clickable and work properly. Pausing the video and switching focus to another tab shows a single frame but that's about it. I thought it was maybe the adblocker but turning that off did nothing except remind me why I turned it on in the first place. Anyone got any ideas?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: December 01, 2017, 12:49:06 pm »

Update on the malware situation:

I know which folders contain the malware, but they've been locked by "administrator permissions".

I can't access them or delete the folders.

Fiddling around with permissions has accomplished nothing.

Any ideas of how to delete these folders?

EDIT:

Running Adwcleaner has just resulted in me removing the same items again and again, with those items reappearing each time.

Double Edit:

FileAssassin is unable to delete the files.

My goto is to grab the bitdefender rescue CD and boot off of that

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-create-a-bitdefender-rescue-cd-627.html

the infection your computer has is interfering with the your ability to remove the offending software. it's using windows against you. booting from a CD will eliminate that issue and allow you to remove the offending software without it using windows as a barrier.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: December 02, 2017, 10:47:00 am »

Another problem with Youtube and Firefox.

Recently I've updated to FF 57 and it's been pretty ok, except in the past couple of days YT has been absolutely shitting itself a good portion of the time. Mainly, either half the page doesn't load properly (like say the various share commands are there but can't be clicked for whatever reason, even after reloading multiple times) or there's no video, as in, the window is black while I can clearly see the audio playing normally. Even the playback commands are invisible, even tho they're perfectly clickable and work properly. Pausing the video and switching focus to another tab shows a single frame but that's about it. I thought it was maybe the adblocker but turning that off did nothing except remind me why I turned it on in the first place. Anyone got any ideas?

I don't know if it's relevant to you, but Firefox uses IPv6 by default, and that was causing some page load issues on my system. Turning that off made it work better:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-cant-load-websites-other-browsers-can
about:config, set network.dns.disableIPv6 = true

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: December 02, 2017, 02:47:20 pm »

Update on the malware situation:

I know which folders contain the malware, but they've been locked by "administrator permissions".

I can't access them or delete the folders.

Fiddling around with permissions has accomplished nothing.

Any ideas of how to delete these folders?

EDIT:

Running Adwcleaner has just resulted in me removing the same items again and again, with those items reappearing each time.

Double Edit:

FileAssassin is unable to delete the files.

My goto is to grab the bitdefender rescue CD and boot off of that

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-create-a-bitdefender-rescue-cd-627.html

the infection your computer has is interfering with the your ability to remove the offending software. it's using windows against you. booting from a CD will eliminate that issue and allow you to remove the offending software without it using windows as a barrier.

My computer is a laptop with no cd drive. Would it be possible to create recovery media off of a flash drive?

EDIT: Disregard the above question, followed the link and discovered the answer was yes, am busy trying it out. Will report back if it works.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:52:05 pm by AzyWng »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: December 02, 2017, 03:41:29 pm »

So, tried it... problem is, I can't seem to access the advanced startup options. I've tried the command prompt shutdown /r /o /f /t 00 in administrator mode, I've tried holding shift as I click the "Restart" button, and I've tried clicking the "advanced startup" option in the windows 10 settings.

All it does is restart the computer and immediately bring me into the login screen.

Any ideas on how to get the advanced startup option to run properly?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: December 02, 2017, 04:08:09 pm »

Invoke it from the config panel?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-access-advanced-startup-options-in-windows-10-or-8-2626229

See "option 2"

After doing that it should reboot, and give you the startup options thingymajigger.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: December 02, 2017, 04:38:45 pm »

Invoke it from the config panel?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-access-advanced-startup-options-in-windows-10-or-8-2626229

See "option 2"

After doing that it should reboot, and give you the startup options thingymajigger.

When I said I tried clicking the "advanced startup" option in windows 10 settings... That was what I meant. I tried it. It just restarted normally.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: December 04, 2017, 12:59:20 pm »

okay so my computer isn't getting internet, it's been doing this since the last windows 10 update.
whats happening is it either won't connect to any internet source or when it is connected it's saying there is no internet. I've deleted my wifi drivers and reinstalled them, but the problem persists. any help
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: December 04, 2017, 04:42:01 pm »

What's a good antivirus to use since apparently Webroot sucks as an antivirus? Someone else suggested Avast or Malwarebytes.

Avast seems pretty good as a free antivirus...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:45:02 pm by smjjames »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: December 04, 2017, 08:58:18 pm »

Avast is great as long as you aren't already infected, its light enough it won't take up your system resources during scans.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: December 05, 2017, 11:50:21 am »

okay so my computer isn't getting internet, it's been doing this since the last windows 10 update.
whats happening is it either won't connect to any internet source or when it is connected it's saying there is no internet. I've deleted my wifi drivers and reinstalled them, but the problem persists. any help
let me be more specific, the wifi works on everything else just not my computer.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: December 05, 2017, 01:32:50 pm »

Try connecting via cable. That will signficantly reduce the number of possible issues, one way or another.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: December 05, 2017, 02:59:37 pm »

I can't use a ethernet cable, I would have to move the router and that would require paying someone to move everything. the wifi was working before, but the new windows update borked it, so i just need to get it working again.
if anyone is wondering (and if it helps) I can open up my computer and see what my wifi adapter is (don't know off the top of my head)
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 347