Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239]

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 148756 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not dead yet.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3570 on: December 02, 2017, 03:41:29 pm »

So, tried it... problem is, I can't seem to access the advanced startup options. I've tried the command prompt shutdown /r /o /f /t 00 in administrator mode, I've tried holding shift as I click the "Restart" button, and I've tried clicking the "advanced startup" option in the windows 10 settings.

All it does is restart the computer and immediately bring me into the login screen.

Any ideas on how to get the advanced startup option to run properly?
Voices from The Net: My excuse for not posting in OOCQ anymore.
Steam Profile
Bank-Robbing Sorta Stealthy Moderately Murderous Crazed Gunman

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: December 02, 2017, 04:08:09 pm »

Invoke it from the config panel?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-access-advanced-startup-options-in-windows-10-or-8-2626229

See "option 2"

After doing that it should reboot, and give you the startup options thingymajigger.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not dead yet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: December 02, 2017, 04:38:45 pm »

Invoke it from the config panel?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-access-advanced-startup-options-in-windows-10-or-8-2626229

See "option 2"

After doing that it should reboot, and give you the startup options thingymajigger.

When I said I tried clicking the "advanced startup" option in windows 10 settings... That was what I meant. I tried it. It just restarted normally.
Voices from The Net: My excuse for not posting in OOCQ anymore.
Steam Profile
Bank-Robbing Sorta Stealthy Moderately Murderous Crazed Gunman

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: December 04, 2017, 12:59:20 pm »

okay so my computer isn't getting internet, it's been doing this since the last windows 10 update.
whats happening is it either won't connect to any internet source or when it is connected it's saying there is no internet. I've deleted my wifi drivers and reinstalled them, but the problem persists. any help

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: December 04, 2017, 04:42:01 pm »

What's a good antivirus to use since apparently Webroot sucks as an antivirus? Someone else suggested Avast or Malwarebytes.

Avast seems pretty good as a free antivirus...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:45:02 pm by smjjames »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: December 04, 2017, 08:58:18 pm »

Avast is great as long as you aren't already infected, its light enough it won't take up your system resources during scans.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: December 05, 2017, 11:50:21 am »

okay so my computer isn't getting internet, it's been doing this since the last windows 10 update.
whats happening is it either won't connect to any internet source or when it is connected it's saying there is no internet. I've deleted my wifi drivers and reinstalled them, but the problem persists. any help
let me be more specific, the wifi works on everything else just not my computer.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: December 05, 2017, 01:32:50 pm »

Try connecting via cable. That will signficantly reduce the number of possible issues, one way or another.
My new 3.5 D&D campaign. Now Recruiting!
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: December 05, 2017, 02:59:37 pm »

I can't use a ethernet cable, I would have to move the router and that would require paying someone to move everything. the wifi was working before, but the new windows update borked it, so i just need to get it working again.
if anyone is wondering (and if it helps) I can open up my computer and see what my wifi adapter is (don't know off the top of my head)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a wing not a ponytail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: December 06, 2017, 03:31:23 pm »

If you have the means to, try to connect to another wifi, even just an unsecured one for testing purposes and see if it can get out.  If it does you may need to clear the network name out of your settings and reconnect fresh(reinstalling the driver should have done that, but a good Idea to double check anyway).  If that still does not work I'd check to see if the router had a reserved IP for your computer's MAC address and clear it out to give the whole thing another shot at connecting fresh. (or if the reserved IP can't be changed for some reason, make sure your computer is set to use that IP and not another one)

Another possibility, is to see if your wifi adapter is some kind of Atheros.  For some reason, at least around 1 year ago when I worked for comcast tech support, we got a memo from research about Atheros drivers that stop working with your symptoms under windows 10 after updates.  If that ends up being the case you might want to try to see if you can update the driver.

Unfortunately if that is the case, that's all the info I know.  That problem was always out of our scope to fix, and the higher ups were rightfully afraid of giving us too much info on the causes of out of scope problems because they were worried we would spend too much time trying to fix it instead of focusing on the routers like we were supposed to.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:37:02 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: December 06, 2017, 08:25:09 pm »

problem is fixed, the adapter was inside of my computer and wasn't getting signals (because dumb reasons) I moved it out of my computer now its working fine.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239]