Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 483055 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3555 on: December 06, 2017, 03:31:23 pm »

If you have the means to, try to connect to another wifi, even just an unsecured one for testing purposes and see if it can get out.  If it does you may need to clear the network name out of your settings and reconnect fresh(reinstalling the driver should have done that, but a good Idea to double check anyway).  If that still does not work I'd check to see if the router had a reserved IP for your computer's MAC address and clear it out to give the whole thing another shot at connecting fresh. (or if the reserved IP can't be changed for some reason, make sure your computer is set to use that IP and not another one)

Another possibility, is to see if your wifi adapter is some kind of Atheros.  For some reason, at least around 1 year ago when I worked for comcast tech support, we got a memo from research about Atheros drivers that stop working with your symptoms under windows 10 after updates.  If that ends up being the case you might want to try to see if you can update the driver.

Unfortunately if that is the case, that's all the info I know.  That problem was always out of our scope to fix, and the higher ups were rightfully afraid of giving us too much info on the causes of out of scope problems because they were worried we would spend too much time trying to fix it instead of focusing on the routers like we were supposed to.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:37:02 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: December 06, 2017, 08:25:09 pm »

problem is fixed, the adapter was inside of my computer and wasn't getting signals (because dumb reasons) I moved it out of my computer now its working fine.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: December 20, 2017, 02:52:47 pm »

My Linux box seems to have ruined itself for no apparent reason. All I did was reboot the thing, and now it gets a mount point fail (for the secondary partition on the hard drive) and the message

Welcome to emergency mode! After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" to try again
to boot into default mode.
cannot boot - root account is locked
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: December 20, 2017, 05:33:40 pm »

In recovery mode, run fsck on the hosting Dev block device for that partition.

Sounds like a dirty shutdown happened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: December 20, 2017, 05:43:02 pm »

Wasn't possible. The only thing I was able to get into was GRUB, because root was locked and blocked booting entirely.

I was able to solve it by burning a new Live CD on my Windows box and using it to edit the FSTAB file manually. The problem was that there were two entries for that partition, so when it tried to mount the second one it ran into a "partition already mounted" error.

Now the question is: how can I unlock the root account so I can fix errors like that more easily?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: December 20, 2017, 05:47:34 pm »

You can often invoke single user mode from grub. That boots to a root shell.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/132965/how-do-i-boot-into-single-user-mode-from-grub
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:49:46 pm by wierd »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: December 29, 2017, 11:11:34 am »

Just out of curiosity: is it plausible that a CPU with too high TDP fries an underspecced motherboard?

My old desktop became flaky last year, clearly overheating something (judged by smell) until crashing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I took the thing apart and looked at it closely over the last few days, and some circuitry very close to the socket looks sort of... caramelised. Some guessing and web searching shows it's all full of hefty el-caps, power mosfets and throttles, so i suspect it's stuff that provides power to the CPU.
The CPU is an AMD 64 X2 with an ADXnnn identifier - i.e. a 125W TDP processor and the handbook of the motherboard says it can only handle up to 95W TDP; so the OEM slotted in an over-hungry CPU (good job!). The computer worked reliably for ~6 years before getting toasty, which feels plausible for a slightly overburdened circuitry holding up but with significantly reduced life expectancy.

Nothing else in there looks really suspect (no bulging capacitors, no other charred/tanned spots on the board), so is this a likely event? I've just been wondering what exactly messed up the thing. Considering it was a really cheap pre-assembled desktop in 2009 or /10, repairing's out of the question and even the spare part value is strictly self-use or donation.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: December 29, 2017, 06:39:11 pm »

Many motherboards put a bunch of lytic capacitors all around the cpu socket.  Those contain liquid electrolyte, which will vaporize if it gets hot enough.  Look for barrel shaped metal cans near the CPU, and look to see if the tops are bulged, or if orange goo has leaked out.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: December 29, 2017, 08:09:07 pm »

I took a second look through the elkos and they all look normal, no bulging, no leakages. The only suspicious thing on visual inspection are the solder points of the power mosfets, which have a brownish sheen. That's why i guessed it might have been the overspecced processor drawing more juice than the transistors could safely deliver, wearing them out over the years. The effect is visible on three of the four mosfets around the CPU socket and not on transistors installed anywhere else on the mobo.

It was a very gradual, almost "soft" failure, as described - the computer could be rebooted and worked normally after rebooting at first. Only after several weeks did it fail to reboot properly. The faint but distinct burnt smell was a clear sign it was a heating issue, and getting the dust out of the fan and radiators made no difference, suggesting it wasn't the processor which was getting too hot.

As mentioned, it's mostly curiosity/diagnostic interest. I'm not likely to buy another machine from that manufacturer anyway, but if their poor system composition actually reduced the lifetime, it'd be pretty damning.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: January 07, 2018, 02:18:50 pm »

Mmmmh, so I have two gmail accounts linked to thunderbird (latest version) on my windows computer. I just realized now, but apparently, they stopped syncing on 31/12 and I can't get them to update, no new mail shows up. I tried deleting one of the account and re-creating it, but it won't let me (says the username or password is bad, but they are the good ones, and work in the webmail).

Any hint of what it could be?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: January 07, 2018, 07:54:49 pm »

Configured as imap or pop3?

Also, did google decide to revert an account preference that enables remote mail?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: January 08, 2018, 05:00:41 am »

Most likely, you've been spontaneously reconfigured not to allow what Google deems "insecure applications", which happens to me regularly because Google is terrified that someone might not be using Google-approved software.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: January 08, 2018, 05:11:22 am »

Happens on my ancient Hotmail account frequently as well. They are terrified that you are getting service out of them without giving them advert impressions. (Oh, the humanity!)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: January 12, 2018, 08:44:14 pm »

I finally found a solution to my computer's virus problem.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/fake-windows-process-manager-virus.76916/

In this forum thread there's a link to a rootkit remover. I used it and it seems to have worked - the "Client Service" and "Windows Process Manager" items are gone, and I can delete the folders I previously couldn't.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: January 19, 2018, 11:41:20 am »

Bay12, I am in need of assistance. I have a laptop. It has to inside-of-it storage thingies where I can put files, C: and D:. C: is also a super speedy ultra thingie that speeds super fast. It is also a lot smaller than D:, the ordinary storage thingie. Well, the computer pretty much defaults to store everything in C:. Which fills up really fast.

Lately I've been having to put unordinarily large files in C: because I've been modding NwN and it's toolset requires you to put new assets in the C:/Users/MyDocuments/NwN folder. It fills up super really fast when you do that. I really annoys me. I don't really want to wast the precious space of the fast drive when I could store all these NwN assets in the spacious hard drive.

So. Do you think there is any way I could change my laptop's structure of whatever to make D: the default/primary drive for random everythings, so that all the User stuff and computer system stuff would go in there instead of C:, and so I could keep the super ultra gotta go fast drive for things I actually want to go even faster stronger better than?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 347