Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 482934 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3600 on: March 11, 2018, 11:45:02 pm »

I'm trying to make a script to run Daggerfall with only one command. How would one create a script that opens DOSBox, then runs commands in DOSBox? Is it possible?
>mfw you see a problem you could have helped with but you're a month too late

My friend traded me a HDD which is WAY newer and, to my knowledge, faster than the one I have now (the one I'm using is 6+ years old) so it'd be real nice if I could replace my old HDD with this new one and then just use the old one for something else. Is there some kind of way I could easily transfer all of the shit from the old one to the new in such a way as to not risk destroying myself?

My common sense tells me "just copy and paste all the stuff lel" but due to my past hard-drive-related fuckups I no longer trust myself with such things

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: March 12, 2018, 12:06:55 am »

What you want is a disk imaging program.

Easiest is just dd from linux.  gddrescue if you want a pretty progress indicator, or suspect bad sectors.

Run it from a USB live stick/dvd.  Be very sure about source and destination.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: April 06, 2018, 01:29:18 am »

Okay, another internet/ network question that I hope someone can help me with.

This afternoon I started up my computer, then logged into STEAM, a few moments later STEAM began downloading a 480`ish MB update for ARK: Survival Evolved.

None of this is unusual, what is abnormal is that for the FIRST TIME since I installed my wireless card it actually downloaded at its maximum speed, around 11.5 megabytes (NOT BITS I know the difference) per second.  After experiencing some abnormal slowness with Windows I restarted the system, and lo and behold, I was back to a pathetic 1.5 megabytes per second download speed.

What this tells me is that there is something, somewhere on my system, that is massively throttling my bandwidth, and I want to figure out what it is.  Any ideas?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: April 06, 2018, 01:42:59 am »

It probably isn't anything to do with your system. Steam uses a peer-to-peer downloading system (much like a torrent) to ease the load on Steam's servers. On occasion, you'll luck into a configuration where you get much more data fed into your pipe than normal.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: April 06, 2018, 01:48:57 am »

Well, that might explain what happened this afternoon, but it doesn't explain why I only ever get that same 1.5 MB/s everywhere else (Got 2.2 once), even though the device and my network are capable of far more.  Even speed tests say I should be getting 10-12 MB/s, not 1.5, but the issue is universal excepting this one instance.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: April 06, 2018, 01:52:51 am »

For any single transfer, 1.5 megabytes a second is pretty quick. You have to get the files from somewhere, and that somewhere is either going to be a set of peers with a limited upload speed (which is always far, far slower than download), or from a server farm that gets so many requests that they can't serve any of them very fast.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: April 06, 2018, 01:57:08 am »

That is certainly a factor, maybe I'm overthinking this.  I know that most of the 'net isn't blisteringly fast, so maybe I just have an unreasonable expectation here.  It still feels extremely strange that I have a 300 Mbps device and a connection that can handle at least 10 MB/s and can't get better than 1.5 MB/s.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: April 06, 2018, 11:39:39 pm »

Since this is over Steam, which uses P2P, or so I understand (So valve does not have spend buttloads of money on hosting), then you are limited by the upload speed(s) of the peers steam connects you to to get the data.

Most users are going to be schlubs like me, who are stuck behind ancient slow as hell ADSL or wimpy cable modems.  (I suffer the former.) I have a laughably tiny upload speed-- 768k sustained. Even though your download pipe is huge, if your box connected to mine and tried to download something, it would be limited to 768k/sec, which is the saturation limit of my upload speed.  Likely, that is what is happening here.

P2P can get around this to some extent, by connecting to several peers at once, and downloading several chunks at a time, which makes the effective transfer speed much higher. (you can connect to 10 people that are crippled like I am, and get 7mb/sec download.)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: April 07, 2018, 12:55:40 am »

Steam is not peer-to-peer.

Valve does, however, limit download speed so those with really fast internet don't suck up all the bandwidth and leave the slower connections to rot.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: April 07, 2018, 01:13:22 am »

*smacks forehead*
Right, was thinking blizzard, which does.

Ok then, it is so valve's servers dont get raped by people with digital fiber to the home. :P

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: April 14, 2018, 05:48:41 pm »

Is java.com in fact a safe, trustworthy place to download Java or is it merely masquerading as Oracle?

EDIT: Also can I (perhaps somewhat unethically) use Tor Browser to get around wired.com's article-per-month limit?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 05:53:09 pm by Eschar »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: April 14, 2018, 09:19:28 pm »

https://who.is/whois/java.com

Registrant Contact Information:
Name: Domain Administrator
Organization: Oracle Corporation
Address: 500 Oracle Parkway M/S 501ip3, City Redwood Shores
State / Province: CA
Postal Code: 94065
Phone: +1.6505062220
Fax: +1.6505062120
Email: domain-contact_ww_grp@oracle.com

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: April 14, 2018, 11:02:39 pm »

Aha! It was Old Man Oracle all along! Good job, Scooby Gang.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: April 14, 2018, 11:05:19 pm »

Larry Ellison: And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: April 15, 2018, 03:08:24 am »

Is java.com in fact a safe, trustworthy place to download Java or is it merely masquerading as Oracle?

EDIT: Also can I (perhaps somewhat unethically) use Tor Browser to get around wired.com's article-per-month limit?

You almost never have to go that far. Most paywalls work by storing cookies / local data in your browser.

I triggered the wired paywall then deleted browsing history. That broke wired.com, but ctrl-F5 (a full page reload) on the main wired.com page worked and the paywall was good for 4 articles again. Note, that you need to go back to the wired.com main page when it resets, since the article pages look for the paywall data when you reload them, and if it's not there, they fail to load.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 03:15:05 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 347