Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 264

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 208205 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3630 on: April 07, 2018, 01:13:22 am »

*smacks forehead*
Right, was thinking blizzard, which does.

Ok then, it is so valve's servers dont get raped by people with digital fiber to the home. :P

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • Foo, bar, quux, baz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: April 14, 2018, 05:48:41 pm »

Is java.com in fact a safe, trustworthy place to download Java or is it merely masquerading as Oracle?

EDIT: Also can I (perhaps somewhat unethically) use Tor Browser to get around wired.com's article-per-month limit?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 05:53:09 pm by Eschar »
"Continue struggling, laws of physics be darned."
 - NRDL
"What, are you stupid or something? Every one of the snake's bones is crushed! Its internal organs are torn apart! There is no way you can - (6) You resuscitate the snake."
- Gatleos

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: April 14, 2018, 09:19:28 pm »

https://who.is/whois/java.com

Registrant Contact Information:
Name: Domain Administrator
Organization: Oracle Corporation
Address: 500 Oracle Parkway M/S 501ip3, City Redwood Shores
State / Province: CA
Postal Code: 94065
Phone: +1.6505062220
Fax: +1.6505062120
Email: domain-contact_ww_grp@oracle.com

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: April 14, 2018, 11:02:39 pm »

Aha! It was Old Man Oracle all along! Good job, Scooby Gang.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: April 14, 2018, 11:05:19 pm »

Larry Ellison: And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: April 15, 2018, 03:08:24 am »

Is java.com in fact a safe, trustworthy place to download Java or is it merely masquerading as Oracle?

EDIT: Also can I (perhaps somewhat unethically) use Tor Browser to get around wired.com's article-per-month limit?

You almost never have to go that far. Most paywalls work by storing cookies / local data in your browser.

I triggered the wired paywall then deleted browsing history. That broke wired.com, but ctrl-F5 (a full page reload) on the main wired.com page worked and the paywall was good for 4 articles again. Note, that you need to go back to the wired.com main page when it resets, since the article pages look for the paywall data when you reload them, and if it's not there, they fail to load.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 03:15:05 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: April 17, 2018, 02:39:44 am »

Ok-

Random problems with the Spigot minecraft server I installed on my old NAS box (after re-purposing it.)

1) Users cannot connect unless I put it in offline mode. For some reason it *INSISTS* that the mojang auth servers are down, when they totally aren't. I cannot find reliably good information on how to fix this, and instead am inundated under a deluge of 12 year olds squealing about their clients.  I dont care about the damn client-- I want to have authentication working properly, as I know for a fact that the auth servers are indeed up.

2) I can only connect to it on the local LAN. I have forwarded the proper ports, I have tested that the port is open-- but I cannot connect via the public IP for some reason.

Any suggestions?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: April 17, 2018, 10:25:19 pm »

Update:

I grew a pair, and contacted my mini-server while at work.  Apparently my router is smart enough to not use an internet address when trying to connect to the server when the computer is on the local network.  When I am outside the network, I can connect just fine.

Still not sure what to do about authentication though.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: April 24, 2018, 10:37:09 am »

You might be able to connect from inside if you run a local DNS server (on your NAS box or possibly configurable on your router) to resolve to address locally before going outside. Don't know about authentication though. You might try pinging the relevant servers from your NAS box and see if you get anything weird.
Arms Race Forum Game!  Design weapons and defeat the Spacebattles forum!
The Bay 12 Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: April 27, 2018, 04:36:55 pm »

It's doing it again.  There seems to be something wrong with windows, all of my UI is laggy, scrolling is jerky and unresponsive, video and audio playback are choppy, but for no perceptible reason my download speed is back up to 11-12 MBs.  I have no idea what is going on here, every kind of diagnostics I can find say there isn't anything wrong but the problems persist.

I've tried just about everything short of re-installing windows (which I absolutely do not want to do, but if that is what it comes down to I will), can someone help me out here?

It occasionally clears up after multiple restarts, which makes me think that something is failing to initialize somewhere.

This is completely insane, the problem is now constant, nothing I do has any impact at all, every single diagnostic shows no problems and reports that my system health is good.  Every device shows green, even booting from the install disc did nothing.

I looked into slowdown causes and the only thing that is even remotely recent has to do with a recent set of security patches, but I didn't install any of those until after the slowdown started, so they can't be the cause (tho' they could very easily be compounding the issue).

It effects everything with an animation, there's a three second delay when I scroll, when playing Skyrim my mouse control is completely smooth and normal but every single animation plays out in slow-motion.  I've checked every setting and none of them are wrong, but this inexplicable lag keeps happening.

Opened the case, cleaned then re-seated everything, on startup the system was much faster but very noticeable lag issues persist, especially when opening a window or refreshing the contents of an open window.

Download speed once again inexplicably throttled to 1.5 MBs.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:09:15 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: May 03, 2018, 12:40:55 am »

Have an obnoxious networking problem, which is semi-related to one I've asked before. I picked up a nice router with USB drive support recently, and have two computers connected directly to it.

Both computers can see the printer that is connected to the router.
Both computers can see and access each other
Only one computer can access the USB drive connected to the router.

The other PC can see the router in "Network", but throws a "network path not found" error if you try to access it. I've tried everything I can think of - rebooting both PC and router, turing off the firewall (temporarily, of course), trying to direct map to it, connecting with IP address instead of hostname. I just can't figure it out.
My new 3.5 D&D campaign. Now Recruiting!
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • I have a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: May 07, 2018, 08:50:51 am »

Okay so I have a basic computer knowledge level question that I'm too embarrassed by to ask anyone.

I recently found a bunch of old photos and I want to change their file type from .jpg to .png or whatever the format is called (what kind of a camera saves photos as .jpg anyway, that's horrible practice). My first instinct was to just change the ending of the files but I don't know if that actually changes the file type. Does it?
Love, scriver~

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: May 07, 2018, 09:48:41 am »

No, it does not. You need some kind of converter.

However, why do you want to do that? Converting to PNG does not magically recover the quality lost to JPG.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • I have a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: May 07, 2018, 10:19:14 am »

Of course not, but it stops further loss of quality.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: May 07, 2018, 10:40:28 am »

Pretty much all cameras use jpeg compression. They do this for a number of reasons.

1) it lets them use lacklustre ccds that aren't the most consistent (jpeg compression averages regions, and blurs out the anomalous pixels)

2) it let's them use cheaper/slower nand, because a jpeg is smaller than raw pixels.

3) there are cots hw accelerated jpeg compression chips they can leverage to get jpeg format data from a CCD very quickly and cheaply.

I too have longed for a high quality camera that can optionally capture as PNG (Software compress raw mode data, save as PNG) even if it is slow to take pictures and drains battery.

Such devices don't exist. It was hard to convince camera makers to even offer raw saving as an option, and only really expensive cameras support it.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 264