Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 482899 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3630 on: May 12, 2018, 11:09:55 pm »

Can someone recommend me a good (free) defragmenter, preferably with a link to it's website, as I don't really know what to look for and REALLY don't want a virus

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: May 12, 2018, 11:12:40 pm »

Defraggler from Piriform. (It's from the same people as ccleaner and pals.)

https://www.ccleaner.com/defraggler

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: May 16, 2018, 12:41:35 pm »

No, it does not. You need some kind of converter.

However, why do you want to do that? Converting to PNG does not magically recover the quality lost to JPG.

Of course not, but it stops further loss of quality.

"further loss of quality" for a JPG only makes sense if you edit the photo in an editing suite, make changes and save it again, and choose JPG deliberately. Storing, copying, and viewing JPG files doesn't change them at all. Converting to PNG just gives you a PNG that looks exactly like the JPG. So if you've got jpg photos then you can just leave them as JPGs and not worry about any loss of quality: the loss of quality was a one-time thing when the file was first created.

Insert flac/mp3 copypasta here

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: June 03, 2018, 04:45:23 pm »

If you guys frequent the wtf thread, you might remember this post:

My microsoft edge seems to have some sort of corruption issue. I knew it was wonky with pdfs, but this is the first time I used it normally and I got this:
Pretty creepy. Any idea how to fix?

Anyway, VLC media player and discord are starting to show the same kind of issue now. Can someone offer me a solution this time, rather than a joke please. This is pretty serious, I won't be able to play videos or game online with my friends now. Audio still works fine in VLC so I assume it's some sort of bug with the way windows is displaying images.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: June 03, 2018, 04:54:10 pm »

If everything is doing it, your video card is broken. You can try removing the video card drivers and reinstalling them.

You can also try reducing or disabling hardware acceleration for video:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/hardware-acceleration-windows-7

---

I also highly recommend mpv as a media player. It has customizable decoder and renderer settings so you can change hardware vs software decoding etc. It's worth a shot if nothing in VLC is working, since there are many more options here. You can use it raw or get it bundled with a front-end / library manager type deal (there are about 10 different projects to choose from, seek wikipedia). But I just use the vanilla version.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/swap-vlc-mpv-ubuntu
Main site:
https://mpv.io/
Windows build repo:
https://mpv.srsfckn.biz/

It's not an "installer" app, just extract it to a folder, right click on your video, then use Windows "open with" to find mpv.exe. however it does a shitload of things most players won't let you do. It's also incredibly good at not completely sucking if you need to run it on old hardware. (though they dropped XP support a while ago so if you need XP version ask me for the last compatible build).

e.g. I built an old machine for someone else, some high-end videos wouldn't play because they couldn't be decoded fast enough, so I put mpv on there, turned on decoder frame-skipping, plus renderer-frame-skipping, and a third option that occasionally resyncs the video by force, and then the videos would play and not fall out of sync. No fucking chance of VLC working correctly for something like that, which is the very reason I dumped VLC originally, for mplayer2 (precursor to mpv). mplayer2 just worked correctly, after setting a couple of options, for videos which were horrendously broken in VLC, no matter what I did.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:54:08 am by Reelya »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: June 04, 2018, 12:35:22 am »

I've had that exact same issue with MS edge before. I think updating my video drivers is what fixed it.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: June 10, 2018, 03:00:36 pm »

Running Gabriel Knight in DosBox. Upon flipping the light switch in the museum, the game crashed. However, it worked normally (...if whatever that noise was is considered 'normal') when I tried to reproduce it.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: June 10, 2018, 11:45:39 pm »

Just recently I've started using my main computer on wi-fi (normally I use wired connection) because of a roof leak where I normally have it. It has a horrible connection to the wifi, while other computers/my phone don't seem to suffer issues. Youtube drops constantly, I often can't visit simple webpages (posting this from my much older laptop) and online games, which I'd like to be using it for, are just out of the question.

-I'm using an old-ish PCIe card. The drivers are up to date as far as I can tell.
-Wireless routers are quite new, and I think part of a meshing system which might be part of the problem
-The network seems to drop and reconnect often, sometimes every few seconds
-Sometimes the connection dialogue say's I'm connected only on IPv4 or IPv6, but not both
-Pinging to router gives mostly short ping times, but also a lot of random very high ping times or timeouts

I feel like I've tried everything and I have no idea why it's acting like this. Any suggestions?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: June 11, 2018, 12:04:46 am »

Is this a broadcomm based card?

(If yes) Is it a legacy BCM43x ?

If both those are "yes", consider replacing the card.  Those were basically designed only for G networks, and while they are software defined (controlled by a blob loaded into the card by the driver), they have issues with WPA2 based ciphers, and have issues with N networks (which use larger channel widths).

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: June 11, 2018, 12:31:54 am »

Device manager tells me it's a Realtek 8812AE (sold under the Rosewill name, came with an antenna). It says it's "AC/ABGN" compatible. Is that the same as 802.11N? Wifi standard names confuse me.

The wireless network is indeed WPA2 (and probably AC). It's made up of Linksys Velop routers, I'm not sure were the stat sheet is offhand as the linksys website directs to a page which is heavy on advertising and light on technical information.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: June 11, 2018, 12:58:21 am »

Other than trying a different driver, not really.  Is this a microsoft provided driver? If so, consider using a reference driver from Realtek.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: June 12, 2018, 08:35:45 pm »

USB wifi dongles are pretty cheap, so if you want to replace the PCIe card then that would be a better option. Also, you can put them on a USB extension cable and move them away from the PC itself. Sometimes the metal of the PC itself can interfere with a Wifi signal. You at least want a movable antenna. One stuck to the back of the PC can be a problem.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:39:42 pm by Reelya »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3643 on: June 13, 2018, 11:24:33 am »

I want to make a Google Sheets spreadsheet that I can enter general weekly availability of multiple people into so that it displays the times where the availability overlaps, this is what I'm envisioning:
- All times are converted to GMT before they're entered
- There is one row per person
- Each row has a cell per day of the week
- Each cell contains a single range of integers indicating general hours of availability (ex. "9 - 13", meaning 0900 to 1300 hours)
- There's a table showing the hours in each day of the week and the ranges where availability overlaps are highlighted automatically

How can I achieve this or something like it? Mostly I'm struggling with how to represent the times in a way that I can then interpret using cell formulas to highlight ranges.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:26:16 am by Parsely »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: June 13, 2018, 12:05:54 pm »

sounds like a job for integer time to me...

The question is how are you going to get then process integer time?

(see also, unix epoch time. Same thing.)
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 347