Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 250

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 177231 times)

Japa

• Bay Watcher
  • Spoopy time!
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3660 on: June 04, 2018, 12:35:22 am »

I've had that exact same issue with MS edge before. I think updating my video drivers is what fixed it.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • Foo, bar, quux, baz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: June 10, 2018, 03:00:36 pm »

Running Gabriel Knight in DosBox. Upon flipping the light switch in the museum, the game crashed. However, it worked normally (...if whatever that noise was is considered 'normal') when I tried to reproduce it.
"Continue struggling, laws of physics be darned."
 - NRDL
"What, are you stupid or something? Every one of the snake's bones is crushed! Its internal organs are torn apart! There is no way you can - (6) You resuscitate the snake."
- Gatleos

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: June 10, 2018, 11:45:39 pm »

Just recently I've started using my main computer on wi-fi (normally I use wired connection) because of a roof leak where I normally have it. It has a horrible connection to the wifi, while other computers/my phone don't seem to suffer issues. Youtube drops constantly, I often can't visit simple webpages (posting this from my much older laptop) and online games, which I'd like to be using it for, are just out of the question.

-I'm using an old-ish PCIe card. The drivers are up to date as far as I can tell.
-Wireless routers are quite new, and I think part of a meshing system which might be part of the problem
-The network seems to drop and reconnect often, sometimes every few seconds
-Sometimes the connection dialogue say's I'm connected only on IPv4 or IPv6, but not both
-Pinging to router gives mostly short ping times, but also a lot of random very high ping times or timeouts

I feel like I've tried everything and I have no idea why it's acting like this. Any suggestions?
Arms Race Forum Game!  Design weapons and defeat the Spacebattles forum!
The Bay 12 Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: June 11, 2018, 12:04:46 am »

Is this a broadcomm based card?

(If yes) Is it a legacy BCM43x ?

If both those are "yes", consider replacing the card.  Those were basically designed only for G networks, and while they are software defined (controlled by a blob loaded into the card by the driver), they have issues with WPA2 based ciphers, and have issues with N networks (which use larger channel widths).

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: June 11, 2018, 12:31:54 am »

Device manager tells me it's a Realtek 8812AE (sold under the Rosewill name, came with an antenna). It says it's "AC/ABGN" compatible. Is that the same as 802.11N? Wifi standard names confuse me.

The wireless network is indeed WPA2 (and probably AC). It's made up of Linksys Velop routers, I'm not sure were the stat sheet is offhand as the linksys website directs to a page which is heavy on advertising and light on technical information.
Arms Race Forum Game!  Design weapons and defeat the Spacebattles forum!
The Bay 12 Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: June 11, 2018, 12:58:21 am »

Other than trying a different driver, not really.  Is this a microsoft provided driver? If so, consider using a reference driver from Realtek.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: June 12, 2018, 08:35:45 pm »

USB wifi dongles are pretty cheap, so if you want to replace the PCIe card then that would be a better option. Also, you can put them on a USB extension cable and move them away from the PC itself. Sometimes the metal of the PC itself can interfere with a Wifi signal. You at least want a movable antenna. One stuck to the back of the PC can be a problem.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:39:42 pm by Reelya »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: June 13, 2018, 11:24:33 am »

I want to make a Google Sheets spreadsheet that I can enter general weekly availability of multiple people into so that it displays the times where the availability overlaps, this is what I'm envisioning:
- All times are converted to GMT before they're entered
- There is one row per person
- Each row has a cell per day of the week
- Each cell contains a single range of integers indicating general hours of availability (ex. "9 - 13", meaning 0900 to 1300 hours)
- There's a table showing the hours in each day of the week and the ranges where availability overlaps are highlighted automatically

How can I achieve this or something like it? Mostly I'm struggling with how to represent the times in a way that I can then interpret using cell formulas to highlight ranges.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: June 13, 2018, 12:05:54 pm »

sounds like a job for integer time to me...

The question is how are you going to get then process integer time?

(see also, unix epoch time. Same thing.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: June 13, 2018, 07:38:14 pm »

Well the main thing is that you don't want to have to have different formulas in every cell, so it's got to be a method that allows you to have a single formula then paste it into every cell.

Here's a straightfoward method, which would allow you to indicate not just hours per person but also days on or off.

Make a weekly timetable sheet as a template, then copy it for each person as a new sheet. If someone is available in a specific time period put a "1" in there. You should be able to copy a single "1" then paste to multiple cells to make it quicker.

Then, your master timetable is an additional sheet, with a cell formula which sums the corresponding cells from each sheet. Copy/paste the formula to all cells. You'll now have a single timetable indicating how many people are available at each time, but which you could also use to indicate a list of available names (using string concatenation or some other trick).

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: June 14, 2018, 11:57:58 am »

So if I use the firefox sync thing to sync bookmarks, will it send bookmarks from my phone to my computer, or just the other way around, as it has bookmarks that were lost on my pc, and I would like to send them back to the pc, and google isn't being helpful
Turns out all the bookmark folders are empty...because why WOULDN'T they be empty

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: June 14, 2018, 01:06:41 pm »

I'm not at all sure if this will work, and I'm not familiar with Firefox, but have you seen https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1027158?
I saw that was related to modding - did you have modding-related sites bookmarked or something? Or notes of some kind?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: June 14, 2018, 06:23:55 pm »

I did that, and that's what removed the stuff in the other bookmarks in the first place (I was trying to restore a folder I had accidentally deleted, and I restored one from the same day, and then it turns out I guess that one occurred two seconds after I deleted the folder, because the restore didn't put it back), I guess Mozilla never expected anyone to have anything in the other bookmarks section, for some reason but luckily firefox doesn't automatically clear it's history, so I was able to get most of the stuff back, (As for the modding stuff, I had pages for the various creatures I was planning to mod the game with, and various modding related pages on the wiki)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: June 14, 2018, 07:49:03 pm »

Firefox creates automatic daily backups of your bookmarks. You can roll back, but save what you've currently got just in case.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1037683

A quick way to export bookmarks is to right-click on a bookmarks folder then choose "Copy" then you can paste that into a text file as raw links.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: June 14, 2018, 11:52:34 pm »

I DID roll back, and it didn't restore it, but it DID delete my other bookmarks section... for some reason, I mean, I've mostly fixed it, but why does it not save the other bookmarks section?
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 250