Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 482890 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3645 on: June 13, 2018, 07:38:14 pm »

Well the main thing is that you don't want to have to have different formulas in every cell, so it's got to be a method that allows you to have a single formula then paste it into every cell.

Here's a straightfoward method, which would allow you to indicate not just hours per person but also days on or off.

Make a weekly timetable sheet as a template, then copy it for each person as a new sheet. If someone is available in a specific time period put a "1" in there. You should be able to copy a single "1" then paste to multiple cells to make it quicker.

Then, your master timetable is an additional sheet, with a cell formula which sums the corresponding cells from each sheet. Copy/paste the formula to all cells. You'll now have a single timetable indicating how many people are available at each time, but which you could also use to indicate a list of available names (using string concatenation or some other trick).

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: June 14, 2018, 11:57:58 am »

So if I use the firefox sync thing to sync bookmarks, will it send bookmarks from my phone to my computer, or just the other way around, as it has bookmarks that were lost on my pc, and I would like to send them back to the pc, and google isn't being helpful
Turns out all the bookmark folders are empty...because why WOULDN'T they be empty

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: June 14, 2018, 01:06:41 pm »

I'm not at all sure if this will work, and I'm not familiar with Firefox, but have you seen https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1027158?
I saw that was related to modding - did you have modding-related sites bookmarked or something? Or notes of some kind?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: June 14, 2018, 06:23:55 pm »

I did that, and that's what removed the stuff in the other bookmarks in the first place (I was trying to restore a folder I had accidentally deleted, and I restored one from the same day, and then it turns out I guess that one occurred two seconds after I deleted the folder, because the restore didn't put it back), I guess Mozilla never expected anyone to have anything in the other bookmarks section, for some reason but luckily firefox doesn't automatically clear it's history, so I was able to get most of the stuff back, (As for the modding stuff, I had pages for the various creatures I was planning to mod the game with, and various modding related pages on the wiki)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: June 14, 2018, 07:49:03 pm »

Firefox creates automatic daily backups of your bookmarks. You can roll back, but save what you've currently got just in case.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1037683

A quick way to export bookmarks is to right-click on a bookmarks folder then choose "Copy" then you can paste that into a text file as raw links.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: June 14, 2018, 11:52:34 pm »

I DID roll back, and it didn't restore it, but it DID delete my other bookmarks section... for some reason, I mean, I've mostly fixed it, but why does it not save the other bookmarks section?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: June 24, 2018, 03:29:14 pm »

Oh mighty computer help thread, I once again have need of thee. (I apologise if my formatting is awful, I'm writing this on my phone ).

So I was playing a game last night (Fallout: New Vegas if it matters), and my computer suddenly blinked off. There was no warning, no crash report, no BSOD, and no loud solitary beep (which it usually does when it crashes). Just went dark. And since then, it has not turned on at all: the power button just does not react. The most I've gotten out of it is the LED at the bottom lights up if-and-only-if my laptop is plugged in to the charger, but not the battery. The LED evens turn off if I plug in the battery.

A couple other things that might help: it's a Dell Inspiron 15 7559. I've had problems aplenty before, but never just refusing to turn on. I've taken it apart, but don't visibly see anything that would cause the problem (I know my battery was run down, could that be it?).

Basically I just want to know if there is anything I can do or try to do before I declare it a lost cause. I already wanted a new one, but it would be sometime until I could get one...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:40:24 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: June 24, 2018, 03:37:39 pm »

Have you tried turning it on while disconnected from the mains? I had a strange issue with my laptop a while back whereby a power setting caused it to have issues if it was active and the laptop changed from whatever source it was using to the other source (Mains to battery in this case) would cause the whole thing to turn off and refuse to power back up until I returned it to the source it was using before.

This might not be the case for you, maybe dead battery (dead dead rather than discharged dead) or dead connectors which is slightly problematic.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: June 24, 2018, 07:39:17 pm »

Just out of curiosity (I doubt I can actually help you, misko), but was your laptop running hot before it crashed?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: June 24, 2018, 07:49:49 pm »

Disconnected from the mains? As in disconnected from the charger? I think so...  I took it apart today to try and see if I could figure it out that way (I don't think I did), but I'll check when I put it back together.

Running hot? Yes, I think so...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: June 25, 2018, 01:24:23 am »

1) unplug the unit
2) remove the battery
3) hold the power button for maybe 10 seconds. (we are trying to fully discharge the motherboard)
4) reconnect the battery
5) reconnect the power
6) try the power.

If it still fails to power on, you might have gotten it so hot that you melted the solder balls on the ball grid array on the CPU/GPU. If so, you need a new laptop. (Or, you can find somebody with a hot table for doing ball array re-ball work, but good luck with that. That's black magic voodoo even among hardware hackers.)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: June 25, 2018, 04:33:49 pm »

Well, that did lead to a tiny change (the LED at the end is now always on when plugged in), but I'm still not able to turn it on.

Oh well. Thanks anyway, I just didn't want to give up without doing what I could first.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: June 25, 2018, 05:42:31 pm »

My laptop did the same thing a year ago. Nothing helped.

Qud Astronaut

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: June 28, 2018, 11:48:33 am »

It's probably a dead motherboard.

That happened to my desktop PC a few months ago. No response from the power button, no fans or LEDs or anything. Replaced the motherboard and it's good as new. I don't know how expensive it would be for a laptop though.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: July 02, 2018, 02:27:27 pm »

My computer has still been doing the same thing lately where the display turns off, yet the computer is still "running" (as in the fans are blowing, etc). I decided to do Windows Event Viewer, and discovered some interesting things. Namely, sfsync02 is coming up as a driver. That's Starforce Protection Synchronization Driver -- a notorious copy protection thing for games that can cause problems on Windows systems. I don't have that file. I checked my Windows/System32/Drivers folder from top to bottom. It's not there, on either of my two hard drives. And it's not in Windows Task Manager as a process or service, either. So why is its name showing up as part of a 7026 event ID error? Is something trying to reference it and failing?

EDIT: Hold on. I found it on my secondary hard drive in an obscure folder where I store games. Strange that it'd be causing my computer to crash, but I can't find a reference of it anywhere else. I'm getting rid of this thing, pronto. No clue if that'll fix the problem yet, though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:29:47 pm by Xvareon »
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 347