Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 482865 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3675 on: July 24, 2018, 02:47:12 pm »

I've done the mouse switch replacement thing. It isn't worth the hassle.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: July 24, 2018, 09:28:16 pm »

That's the thing, isn't it? Mice are so cheap that you could open one up, fuck it up, spend half an hour trying to find the bloody spring because you were a bit cackhanded and then go and buy a fantastic new mouse anyway.
For a hot minute I thought you were talking about mice

My mouse was squeaking, so I opened it up to take a look inside, now it's stopped working completely, and I can't put it back together.

I've done the mouse switch replacement thing. It isn't worth the hassle.

The large office supply chain here offers perfectly reasonable new mice for $4 each. You could buy an expensive one for $40 or more, but I doubt that would survive 10 times longer than the cheap ones.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:30:49 pm by Reelya »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: July 25, 2018, 12:47:15 am »

Down with your wasteful western consumerism.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: July 25, 2018, 02:25:15 am »

Death to the decadent west! Slay the Great Satan! Worship no more at the foot of Mammon!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: July 27, 2018, 06:16:50 am »

Just now got a bluescreen on my laptop.

The stop code was "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED".

What failed was Qcamain10x64.sys.

I have no idea what I should do in this instance. The laptop seems to be running ok now, in spite of the crash...

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: July 27, 2018, 09:53:35 am »

It's a bulky OS. Those things happen occasionally. I bluescreen once or twice a year, they're really only an issue if you get them frequently. Were you doing anything out of the ordinary when it happened, or was it completely, heh, out of the blue?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: July 27, 2018, 09:36:45 pm »

Very funny.

But aside from running Google Chrome with several tabs open, leaving Steam in the background, and having Discord running as well, I don't think I was doing anything out of the ordinary.

I will inform you if there are any changes, but I must admit I will be feeling a little, ah hah, blue if this continues.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: July 27, 2018, 09:44:21 pm »

Qcamain10x64.sys is a wireless network card driver. Go into Device Manager and try updating the wireless driver.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: July 27, 2018, 10:50:17 pm »

Another thing to consider is accumulation of patina on the card edge, if this is an add-on card. (while gold does not really react with oxygen, it does react with various VOCs, which can be found in human skin oil and inside modern domestic environments, producing a dull patina on the card edges.)

You can clean it off with a gentle rub from a white vinyl eraser. (WHITE VINYL!! NO OTHER KIND!)

If an update to the NIC driver does not resolve your bluescreens, it is worth a shot.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: July 27, 2018, 11:06:31 pm »

While we're on the subject of drivers, any way to easily update them/know when to update them without having to every so often open up Device Manager and try to update them manually?

I'd look for any driver managing software, but they all seem super duper shady.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: July 27, 2018, 11:11:47 pm »

Microsoft *tries* to do this for you, with its certified drivers program...  But it is very dubious too. (often installs drivers that CAUSE bluescreens on systems that have perfectly working drivers.)

Sadly, there really is no good solution that I can suggest.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: July 28, 2018, 10:33:33 pm »

Oh. What a shame.

In any case, I tried updating the qualcomm whatever the hell it is driver, but it said it was already updated.

I don't recall adding anything to this laptop, so I don't think there's an add-on card to wipe off here.

Haven't seen any more bluescreens so far.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: July 28, 2018, 11:28:46 pm »

Normally I'd suggest deleting the driver and reinstalling it, but doing that for your network card is a bit tricky. With any luck, a later update will prevent the problem from recurring.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: July 28, 2018, 11:44:39 pm »

You do realize this is Windows I'm talking about, right?

I may distrust them congressionally (Not enough to really act on it), but I do still distrust them.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: August 06, 2018, 01:26:26 pm »

So moving here from the WTF thread in hopes of finding a fix or something.

Today, out of the blue, my laptop started having sound issues, at first I thought it was YT or FF related but it seems all sounds are afffected. Basically, every several seconds (but it's random so it can be more or less frequent) the sound kinda glitches and does that irritating buzz sound when a program freezes or something while producing sounds.

I've looked it up online and folks seem to say that it was a conflict with the Realtek wireless drivers but messing around with those did nothing to resolve it. Reinstalling the audio drivers likewise did fuck all. I really have no idea what to do besides reinstalling windows completely, but even then I'm not sure if it'd work.

The most baffling thing tho is that it just started fucking up, I really don't remember doing any updates or any software changes in the past two days that would cause this to start today.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 347