Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 177555 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3720 on: August 09, 2018, 02:01:19 pm »

That looks a bit iffy. Most of the emulation options I know of either are not gaming-oriented, or else are focused on much earlier games than that.
My new 3.5 D&D campaign. Now Recruiting!
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: August 09, 2018, 03:40:37 pm »

Single jack, I'm afraid - so using a splitter is not an option.

Get a usb headset or an adapter to turn yours into usb.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: August 09, 2018, 10:46:19 pm »

irrelevant now

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: August 10, 2018, 07:57:43 pm »

2nd- Windows 2000 should run anything from 98. There may or may not still be a developers version floating around. That one has no license key.

Ah, as others have said, not much chance of that. DOS->3.1->95->98->Me is one product line, whereas NT->2000 is a completely different product line. Here's an article written at the time about the compatibility issues : https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/win2k

As for emulation, DOSBox is capable of running 3.1 or 9x Windows versions, as are VMWare or VirtualBox, all of which are free to use.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:07:28 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: August 10, 2018, 08:02:48 pm »

There's a lot of things from 9x that won't run on XP, for a variety of reasons. It took developers a long time to accept the "just talk to Windows, and Windows will talk to the hardware" paradigm, and some early hardware (graphics cards, especially) needed software to be programmed specifically for it, in a way that is incompatible with newer solutions.

That's why PCem is my favored solution, but the specific case here seems to be too new to run under that.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: August 10, 2018, 08:12:32 pm »

That's why PCem is my favored solution, but the specific case here seems to be too new to run under that.

Windows 98 would run on a 486 though, and PCem says it supports that. Windows 98 minimum specs were 486DX2-66

BTW I recommend 98lite as a tool to reduce the footprint and resources of 95 and 98 installs. We were able to get 98 installs small enough to run on a system with a 40MB hard-drive with this thing back in the day:

http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:19:14 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: August 10, 2018, 08:20:33 pm »

Windows 98 will run fine in PCem. The discussion was started by somebody who wants to run Survival Crisis Z, which appears to need more than the Pentium I processor that PCem tops out at (and needs a beefy computer to run anyway).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: August 10, 2018, 11:34:45 pm »

Win2k has a pretty good VDM.  It just needs an addon package called VDMSound, and it can run just about anything you can throw at it that is a Dos game.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/

Does VESA, MSCDEX, DOS4GW protected memory, and all that fun stuff, right in the VDM.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: August 10, 2018, 11:48:31 pm »

My laptop has been acting up too.

The CPU and/or GPU (they're close together and on a single heatpipe) are heating up something fierce whenever I try playing a game. One can't really hold the laptop on the lap any more, and it gets stuttery after a while. It used to run relatively demanding games without any issues. Now it gets super hot even with small, low-graphics titles and I'm getting worried about my sperm count.
The problem appeared gradually, over several months.

The fan works, the intakes and exhausts are unobstructed, and the heatpipe is attached. The copper of the pipe is blackened at the bottom, where it touches the plastic. The task manager doesn't seem to indicate any extreme resource usage.

Any ideas?

This sounds like copper 2 oxide.  It will impair thermal conduction if this is where the interface is to the CPU.

If that is the case, get some brasso copper polish.  Apply a small quantity to the corner of a paper towel, and clean the CPU and GPU contact surfaces, then rinse with clean water.  Apply fresh compound, and test function.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just another guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: August 11, 2018, 09:45:34 am »

BTW I recommend 98lite as a tool to reduce the footprint and resources of 95 and 98 installs.
I'm, ah, not exactly too eager to purchase a $25.00 piece of software just because I want to play a game the developers released for free.

And why would a isometric game that was released for free in 2007 (and probably made a good deal earlier than that) require such a beefy pc? Software quirks or something?

Also, I have no idea how to use any kind of pc emulator, so advice on how and/or where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: August 11, 2018, 10:57:55 am »

The game you're talking about probably requires at least a Pentium II, which PCem can't emulate. Even if it only requires a Pentium I, emulating that chip is very intensive. Thus, my preferred solution will probably not work for your use case.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just another guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: August 11, 2018, 09:07:24 pm »

All right, but any idea why a game like this would require a beefy computer?

I mean, games like Half-Life 2 and Running with Rifles (both 3D) run just fine on my laptop...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: August 11, 2018, 10:29:58 pm »

I'm going to break this down very, very simply.

The game you want to run does not appear to require a beefy computer.

The game you want to run does appear to require Windows 9x.

One of the best ways to run Windows 9x for older games is PCem, which emulates period hardware.

PCem does not emulate more than a Pentium I processor.

Emulating a processor is very system intensive, and requires a processor many times as powerful as the one you are trying to emulate.

If the game you want to run requires more than a Pentium I processor, PCem can not help you.

If the game you want to run does not require more than a Pentium I processor, PCem can help, provided you have a PC powerful enough to emulate a Pentium I processor.

Your ability to run other software has no relation whatsoever to this.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: August 11, 2018, 10:59:34 pm »

They can always try virtualbox instead.  Rather than full emulation, it does CPU virtualization.  It is also capable of emulating PCI cards for sound and network hardware, so it can emulate more period equipment.

It will just run faster, and will present a more modern CPU.

Worth a shot.

https://www.virtualbox.org/
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:01:38 pm by wierd »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: August 12, 2018, 02:12:34 am »

BTW I recommend 98lite as a tool to reduce the footprint and resources of 95 and 98 installs.
I'm, ah, not exactly too eager to purchase a $25.00 piece of software just because I want to play a game the developers released for free.

Go read the actual licensing agreement. You only need to pay the licensing fee if you're doing commercial-scale stuff with it:

https://www.litepc.com/prev_lic.html

2. USAGE
98lite Preview Edition is freely licensed for non-exclusive use by a single individual for personal use only. You require an ENTERPRISE license if you want to use 98lite in a multi-user setting, or want to install 98lite on your clients computers.

3. DISTRIBUTION
You may distribute the 98lite Preview Edition software without permission only so long as:

the original distribution archive remains intact, with no files having been altered, added, or removed.
    all costs for distribution are paid by you, the distributor, and 98lite is delivered to the end user, or any intermediate receiver, FREE OF CHARGE.

There's nothing to stop you using it for free or giving copies to friends, you just can't commercialize it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:24:53 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250