Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 483023 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3720 on: November 04, 2018, 03:49:21 pm »

First thoughts:

Disconnect any gamepads, joysticks, or drawing tablets currently connected to the system - those can conflict with games in the oddest of ways.

Failing that, you may have some sort of accessibility option turned on in your mouse settings. What's your OS?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: November 04, 2018, 04:38:00 pm »

My windows 10 laptop's keyboard just stopped working, and when I am on the lock screen one of the mouse buttons randomly does not work.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: November 04, 2018, 05:06:39 pm »

Windows 10.

No gamepads, joysticks, or drawing tablets.

Oddly, MM6 is supposed to be fluid, moving slightly when pressing the arrow keys, especially the right and left to turn. One tab shoots it a 45 degree angle.

Slightest hairtrigger touch and there it goes off at least 45 degrees. Difficult to compensate for mentally.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 05:12:14 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: November 04, 2018, 05:12:12 pm »

Check your mouse options and make sure you have "automatically move pointer to the default option" turned off. I've had that accidentally get turned on before, and it did some very odd things.

That's really all the ideas I can come up with. If it is happening in all games (not those in a specific emulator or game engine), it has to be something with how your system is processing input.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: November 04, 2018, 05:13:25 pm »

Oddly, the mouse isn't used for navigation as much. (Game was made 1998).

It's the arrow keys on the keyboard....

Just hoping that might potentially matter. Will check settings. Thank you.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: November 04, 2018, 05:15:48 pm »

Hmm, in that case maybe a sticky keys setting in enabled?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: November 04, 2018, 05:18:31 pm »

May I ask how I could determine that and undo it if so?

Please don't quote me.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: November 04, 2018, 05:19:46 pm »

You said it also happened in Skyrim, and I thought I remembered MM6 being operated via mouse as well (I want to go through the Xeen games before I play 6, and I need to finish Wiz6 before I do that).

Still, this sounds like an input bug with the system.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: November 04, 2018, 05:24:49 pm »

Yeah, very possible.

Also mildly frustrating, because it's a new rig and I invested a lot in it, specifically to last and as a gaming PC.
Alienware R7 Aurora. 32 GB ram... It was basically the one thing I bought for me. (old one died after 8+ years. I get life out of them).

I do occasionally get "no signal" on the monitor, but it goes away after a couple minutes. Still video card issues are not a thing with MM6.

Purchased on steam ... with MMX possibly game setting itself.

Please don't quote me.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: November 04, 2018, 07:55:24 pm »

Dumb question(s)...

What are you running MM6 in?  Dosbox? VirtualPC? VirtualBox? Bochs?  ... Native?

Are you using any slowdown patches? (like MoSlo?)

What is your typematic rate set at?

You might try changing the typematic rate in Windows first.
https://bltt.org/windows-10-keyboard-repeat-rate/

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: November 05, 2018, 09:47:10 am »

Steam (It came free with MMX)

No mods, although I might install the fix (I believe graymane's )

I will have to check tonight.

Will F/U tonight. Thank you. :)

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: November 05, 2018, 09:08:46 pm »

And the follow up:

I actually learned what a typematic rate was, thank you.

That was not the issue though. I set it to "long" and slow" and all sorts of other things. Overall, I am still having the same issues with MM6.

I press the arrow key once (left or right) and I turn 45 degrees.

I do very much appreciate the idea though. Any others would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Truean

P.S. What if it were something unique to MM6's settings? Is there an Init file there? (1998 I know but asking).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:11:19 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: November 05, 2018, 09:42:16 pm »

Good news, I figured out the MM6 portion of the issue in the ini file, or at least a part of it.

I still can't get mouselook, but the smooth scroll works. Thank you man. I haven't modded anything is so long the obvious escaped me for a moment.

Please don't quote me.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: November 05, 2018, 09:47:15 pm »

As you said it applied to other games,  I had assumed (and nearly replied myself) that the problem was not in the game itself, but somewhere in the nest of HALs between hardware and game-engine. Much as others have been trying to track down.

I would normally assume that even if a press of the left-cursor spawned just enough repeated left-cursors to knock upon the door of the engine itself (to which it enacted your described eighth-turn) different core engines would require a different number of cloned event-repetitions to do the same, according to the designed-in sensitivity.

I also find it strange that if it were a "upon (single) cursor, rotate 45 degrees" config setting at the game-level that it would be set somewhere shared between such different (and certainly differently-era of design philosophy) games. Really, some Accessibility option directly associated with the games (the DirectX module dedicated to peripheral inputs? Is DirectX still a thing, these days?) might be the place to cover your described symptoms. Shared-enough to cover it all, integrated-by-design to get a consistent (if erroneous) behaviour in everything that its API is called by.

But that's very much a wild guess, . Very little chance that I've got this anywhere near the right answer. Just something else to maybe look at and then dismiss as irrelevant to your predicament. But then at least we know it isn't it, right?

Looks like I'm ninjaed. Probably proven wrong on my first paragraph, too.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: November 05, 2018, 09:49:03 pm »

looking at gameplay videos of MM6 they also seem to jump at 45 degree angles. I guess that was seen as an improvement of the 90 degree views of earlier games (from Bards Tale to Eye of the Beholder). Maybe there's a mouselook option, but I think the 45 degree thing was just how they made that game. Some games just feel unplayable by modern standard until you get used to their limited controls and movement "modes".

I'm not sure how Skyrim fits into that however.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 347