Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 483140 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3810 on: January 16, 2019, 04:13:14 pm »

It may be a meme but have you tried unplugging and plugging it in again? (going into the computer, physically disconnecting the drive's data and power cable, and then reconnecting them). 

Back when I did computer repair in a shop I remember having a computer with a similar issue.  Nothing I did in software or with drivers made it show up but after I got into the internals and started fiddling with connectors windows saw it again.

That said I would think it would not show up in device manager if it was a loose connector, but it's worth a shot and cheaper than a new drive if it does work.  And if you order a new drive off amazon or newegg it will take time to ship anyway.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:15:19 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: January 16, 2019, 10:58:59 pm »

It can be a faulty cable or SATA port on the motherboard too. Assuming that there's one known good SATA port+cable, put the drive on that one and the C-Drive to the one the DVD drive is currently using. See if that changes anything. If so, either the port itself or the cable is suspect.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: January 16, 2019, 11:21:09 pm »

This is the part I am not grasping here.

The drive works fine on my Linux partition

If true, that effectively rules out cable and port issues.

So.. Hmm...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: January 17, 2019, 01:52:58 am »

Hey guys, my computer has very recently decided to shit itself completely.
Googling the error code given when it fails to start up led me to this guide, and I was hoping to get a verdict on whether said guide (and the program 'Easy Recovery Essentials' that it recommends) is legit, or just a ploy to dump a fuckload of malware into my already-crippled laptop and, presumably, steal all my shit.

If y'all think it's above board I will probably head to the library and download it.
No idea what specifically caused this problem, or how much data loss I'll be looking at. D:
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: January 17, 2019, 02:15:06 am »

What is the error code?

I can likely help you diagnose it better than any guide can, and without any BS software

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: January 17, 2019, 12:48:23 pm »

Judging by the URL of the link he posted, it's probably 0xc0000001. Either bad system files or dead memory, and since he's not got any idea what did it I'd default to assuming the latter but it's still worth trying recovery.

Yoink: Assuming you're neither of the people who actually has access to all the recovery media your laptop shipped with, probably the easiest, cheapest thing to try to either access your data or rule out all the fixable causes is to see if you can find a friend to let you make a bootable USB on their system of whatever OS you want (EDIT: And if you know which one you want, anyone here can tell you what you need; the process is fairly automatic now) and try booting from that and seeing if your files are still there.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:55:55 pm by Trekkin »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: January 17, 2019, 11:58:45 pm »

Thanks for the help, guys! Yeah, that's the one.
So, would a fresh OS install actually be easier than trying to repair it?
Booze is Life for Yoink

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: January 18, 2019, 12:07:42 am »

Thanks for the help, guys! Yeah, that's the one.
So, would a fresh OS install actually be easier than trying to repair it?

Maybe, but I was suggesting something different. 0xc0000001 could be a problem with critical OS files, or it could be your hardware, probably your hard drive, that's broken. Without being able to boot we can't tell, which also means we don't know if reinstalling the OS will help; it may be there's nothing working on to which you could reinstall it. Making bootable external media solves both problems at once, and lets you see directly if your disk is bad by seeing if it's readable while you're booting from USB. From there you can back up your data and/or repair the OS, assuming your memory's okay. 

EDIT: Before I forget, it will also let you check your drive's SMART data, which includes internal diagnostics that can help detect impending failure.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:12:57 am by Trekkin »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: January 18, 2019, 12:22:36 am »

Ohhh, I getcha.
Yeah I guess I could do that, assuming whatever OS I go with isn't too big a file to download at the library. Might have to buy a new flash drive, though.

I have no idea what OS to go with, mind. I'm pretty sure my laptop was running *shudder* Windows 8. I'd really rather go back to something older, but I guess it doesn't matter too much if I'm just making an external one?
Booze is Life for Yoink

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: January 18, 2019, 12:34:33 am »

Ohhh, I getcha.
Yeah I guess I could do that, assuming whatever OS I go with isn't too big a file to download at the library. Might have to buy a new flash drive, though.

I have no idea what OS to go with, mind. I'm pretty sure my laptop was running *shudder* Windows 8. I'd really rather go back to something older, but I guess it doesn't matter too much if I'm just making an external one?

Yeah, it won't matter too much. My natural inclination would be to reach for Linux Mint Cinnamon, which is only 2 GB to download, but we can definitely go smaller.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: January 18, 2019, 01:54:30 am »

Whenever I get a ping on Discord, the sound goes messed up. I'm not sure how to describe it other than "it plays the very first few milliseconds of the sound on repeat for several seconds". This also happens when I'm watching a youtube video at the same time, which causes the sound to get messed up in a similar fashion.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: February 04, 2019, 02:20:12 pm »

I have a spare USB 3.something header on my motherboard, but don't have any 3.x front ports remaining. The obvious solution is to get some ports that are in a stadard PCI-slot cover plate for two additional back ports. I know this product exists, because I have seen it before. I cannot find this product, because I am not sure what it is called.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: February 04, 2019, 02:41:03 pm »

Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted. I just couldn't find the right search terms.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: February 04, 2019, 03:01:17 pm »

The magic keywords appear to be

"USB 3.0 bracket"

Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 347