Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 482932 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3840 on: February 22, 2019, 09:43:36 am »

Often times, you can get information about the motherboard from dxdiag.

If that fails, you can try sisoft sandra.
https://www.sisoftware.co.uk/download-lite/

Sandra should be able to tell you *ALL KINDS* of stuff. (Including what kind of RAM you have, what features your CPU supports, etc.)

I also want to know if there are any integrated modems, what kind of sound hardware there is, etc.  I want a full list of the drivers that are installed.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: February 22, 2019, 10:27:08 am »

I guess I'm gonna have to dump what amounts to raw data here: (also, can spoilers be titled, and if so, how?)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Under Communication Devices, there's this (USB tethering? ADB/Fastboot/Odin?):
Under Audio Devices:

How do I quickly get a full list of drivers, assuming you only need the names?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: February 22, 2019, 11:43:31 am »

The above dump should work for hardware at least. I will look for problem children. Give me some time.

UPDATE:

I have dug a bit.  I see several references to this happening with that (series) video card.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-screen-with-windows-10-and-r7-200-thread/aecbb37b-4a03-4ae9-a4b3-c8ef2e2d4685
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/thread-stuck-in-device-driver.2751613/

that last one gives something to try at least; try disabling the radeon HDMI audio device, and see if that alleviates the problem.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:43:37 am by wierd »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: February 23, 2019, 07:17:36 am »

My response was delayed because I don't get notifications for edits of posts.
I've now disabled the audio device. I'll see if my system gets more stable.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: April 16, 2019, 11:44:39 am »

So, in light of my recent HDD fuckery, any reccomendations of hdd diagnostic/repair software? I'd like to not shell out for a new one if I can avoid it for the time being and even a temporary fix of any sort would be helpful to tide me over until I get a proper desktop pc up and running.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: April 16, 2019, 03:50:40 pm »

So, in light of my recent HDD fuckery, any reccomendations of hdd diagnostic/repair software? I'd like to not shell out for a new one if I can avoid it for the time being and even a temporary fix of any sort would be helpful to tide me over until I get a proper desktop pc up and running.

I'd say chkdsk (pronounced check disk)? A full format will apparently also catch bad sectors, but requires a format. You have a back-up of whatever you want to keep? Alternatively, see if there are diagnostic tools from the manufacturer.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: April 16, 2019, 10:40:15 pm »

Spinrite

https://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

If you have some bad sectors, it will aggressively scrub the data from those sectors than instigate sector remapping from the spare track.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: April 17, 2019, 03:03:16 pm »

Oooff, that one costs more than a new HDD would :V

Luckily, managed to find a shadier alternative, did the scan/fix thingy, found 600ish bad sectors, fixed them all, hopefully that'll last a while.

What's also funny is that chckdisk said everything was pretty fine with some 32kb of bad sectors and I shouldn't worry :V
AS - IG

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: April 17, 2019, 08:44:06 pm »

600 sectors is pretty extreme.

I suggest getting a new drive, then cloning it as soon as possible. (now that you recovered and remapped the sectors using the spare track, you can do a clone operation without it eating itself.) That many bad sectors is usually indicative of the platter having experienced some pretty extreme trauma, and the normal order of things is for the platter to continue to break down in there.

Getting your data off that sinking ship is the best suggestion I have.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: April 18, 2019, 01:41:28 pm »

I don't know if it happens much with contemporary discs, but you used to get a case where some form of physical damage (perhaps caused by an unparked head bouncing off the platter due to external forces) started a 'fraying' of the drive(-surface) away from the initial bad bit. A whole cylinder would end up unusable, and maybe collateral neighbouring cylinders (mainly outward) too.

Might have been just one particular type of disc. It could be that this was therefore discontinued as a manufacturing method, going for something more tolerant of point-damage (in a physical way) as well as all the additional logical-layout mitigations.

scofficial

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: April 20, 2019, 04:00:46 am »

Any chance you can record the sound, and then post it on sc downloader or something?
Any help on this?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:45:59 pm by scofficial »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: April 24, 2019, 12:19:39 pm »

So it happened again. Except this time the situation is reversed. Windows insists that there's an error with C: but in depth scans show no issues with the drive whatsoever. So now I'm stuck at the fixing disk errors screen when there's no fucking errors to fix.And the fucking thing worked perfectly fine yesterday. Only way.around it seems to be yet another reinstall of windows, and at this point I wonder if it's worth installing anything else since windows is bound to shoot itself in the foot and claim hardware issues again.
AS - IG

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: April 24, 2019, 11:47:42 pm »

What do the S.M.A.R.T. diagnostic logs say?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: April 25, 2019, 12:47:06 am »

Same thing they said before, there's a number of bad sectors and reallocations due to said bad sectors but nothing has gotten worse since last week. Either way I looked it up some more and it seems to be an issue with Win10 when it loses its shit if not shut down properly (and since I don't have a proper restart button the only way to restart is to force-shutdown) and gets stuck in the disk checking mode. So I reinstalled yet again, tho this time I found myself a barebones LTSB version that's about as close to win7 as you can get pretty much, will see if it fucks up in a week again.

In the end, I'm getting my backup drive today so even if it decides to go full sudoku I'm not gonna be bothered too much by it
AS - IG

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: April 25, 2019, 08:54:09 am »

I can’t seem to open .jar files. I’m on Windows 10 and they won’t open. I can run java-based games like Minecraft just fine, but not .jar files - and I know I have Java’s latest version installed.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 347