Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 483186 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3930 on: July 29, 2019, 01:49:22 pm »

I need a web hosting site quick for school, and not for very long.

Few details, and they didn't provide you with the hosting you need? Sounds like "pranks/lies", and therefore I fully support the endeavor.

It sounds like most web hosts allow for month-to-month hosting. I also assume some are overpriced, and others are "overpriced at any price."

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: July 29, 2019, 10:14:50 pm »

If you know how to set it up yourself, I would look on lowendtalk/lowendbox, for something like that the absolute lowest spec box would work, so even if you get unlucky with a  terrible service you're only out literally a couple bucks...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: August 04, 2019, 07:20:26 am »

So my old HDD finally up and died, well, the windows partition did anyways. Got a new HDD after a week of fucking with online shops. Reinstalled windows and it's working fine, I'm just having one issue with getting the data from the old HDD onto the new one. It's something to do with windows I think, basically it stops detecting the externally connected drives after two attempts or so. I've tried both the old HDD and a spare external disk on the desktop PC and they're both working fine. Once I connect them to the laptop however it detects them at first, loses connection once or twice and just stops detecting them all together until I connect them to the desktop PC.

It might be a shitty cable but I'm not sure anymore. If it were just the shitty drive then the external one would be working fine.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: August 06, 2019, 12:30:05 am »

How are you connecting the old HDD to the laptop, and how is the HDD being powered? If being powered by the laptop, it might not provide enough power for the HDD to spin up.

Is the old HDD for a laptop or a desktop?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: August 16, 2019, 07:44:24 pm »

About a week (?) ago someone posted a registry edit to fix Steam's stupid settings/privilege escalation bug. Anyone have that?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: August 16, 2019, 09:19:42 pm »

Steam rolled out an update to fix it

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: August 17, 2019, 03:22:09 am »

In the beta channel anyway.

I dunno if they rolled it out in mainline yet.  Regardless, its just an ACL.  I can put the instructions again, since I'm the one that coughed it up in the first place.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: August 17, 2019, 08:21:31 pm »

I can put the instructions again, since I'm the one that coughed it up in the first place.

That would be great. I tried looking through your old posts, but I'm having trouble finding it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: August 18, 2019, 03:21:49 am »

Sure.  It was in Tech News.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160107.msg8008518#msg8008518

The spoiler contains helpful images.  Win7 based instructions.  It's slightly different for win10.

There's a slight error on the picture instructions though-- BE SURE TO UNCHECK DELETE PERMISSION. It's not arrowed in the instructions.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 03:29:27 am by wierd »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: August 18, 2019, 10:37:07 pm »

Unless I'm somehow in the beta for steam, I'm pretty sure the fix is in the main one now, considering I saw it or something like it on one of those restart to install update things steam likes to do

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: August 19, 2019, 12:12:18 am »

Correct-- I am looking at the changelog.

Steam Client Update Released
Client Update - Valve
A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.

General

Fixed library drop-down menu no longer displaying after changing the library filter

Steam Input

Fixed Xbox controllers showing up twice on Mac OS X
    Removed guide button emulation using the back or start button, except when using Steam Remote Play. This feature was causing some issues with some fightsticks and retro controllers and will be re-enabled for locally connected controllers in the future.

Steam Windows Service

Fixed privilege escalation exploit using symbolic links in Windows registry

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: August 19, 2019, 02:43:07 pm »

Cool. Thank you anyway.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: August 21, 2019, 11:13:27 pm »

Looks like there's another steam 0day.  Give me a bit to look into the problem.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: September 05, 2019, 10:44:51 am »

Looking to set up for VR gaming in the moderate future - by the end of the year. So far everything is looking good. I would need to replace my graphics card(currently a GTX 750ti), and get Windows 10(I don't want to, but...). I'm pretty sure my power supply(610w) can handle a GTX 1060. Only concern is it fitting inside my case, but it probably would. Actual physical space in my room is actually pretty decent, despite having a smaller room than my last house.

Any recommendations for the actual VR headset? I've heard good thing about the Occulus Rift-S.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: September 05, 2019, 10:53:52 am »

Sadly I dont.   I learned my lesson the hard way a long time ago.

(I used to own a VFX-1 headset, waaaaaaaay back in the 90s. even when I was very young, I learned that my eyes have VERY different focal depths, and the strain of using a display that close was just unbearable. My eyes are EVEN WORSE now. So, I don't even bother with VR. While the displays inside are lightyears ahead of what the VFX1 had inside it, the principles are the same: Adjustable optics for each eye, to attempt to compensate for the close proximity of the display. when I had finished adjusting the optics to where I could actually see anything in the FX1, I had one eyepiece absurdly long, and the other absurdly short. It was very uncomfortable to wear, and the eyestrain was unbearable. I am in no hurry to repeat that experience.)
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 347