Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 483029 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #3975 on: November 28, 2019, 05:44:07 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: November 30, 2019, 10:30:50 pm »

Not sure if this is a good thread for it or if there is a more specific thread for coding questions, but here goes.

Novice programmer,

I am trying to pull random samples from a Weibull distribution with multiple (3) parameters. numpy already has a function for sampling weibull distributions but only seems to support one parameter.
I need to do this with 3 different parameters; shape, scale, and location.

The numpy page does give an equation that would seem to support the second parameter.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
but this still leaves out the third.

I'm not very familiar with weibull distributions in the first place, and I haven't had much luck trying to find examples of how to do this through google. I am unsure how to proceed.

Edit:
Lmao, of course I look for an hour before asking, and then find it 10 min after I ask.
scipy.stats.weibull_min (or max) supports distributions with 3 parameters, so I can just use that to pull my samples.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 10:50:19 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: December 01, 2019, 02:03:58 am »

Not sure if this is a good thread for it or if there is a more specific thread for coding questions, but here goes.

I don't know much about coding but there is a thread for it Coding thread.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: December 01, 2019, 02:12:37 pm »

Just how bad is Windows 10? All I'm seeing is fairly consistent rants that it will EMP your hardware while stealing all your personal information and the souls of your unborn children.

I would go for it, but apparently the above rants are most likely to occur when upgrading an existing installation rather than a clean install. And it also apparently nukes the previous version of Windows with the upgrade. I still do have the original install disk+key for Windows 7.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: December 01, 2019, 02:30:54 pm »

How desperately do you NEED windows?

That's the question you should be asking yourself, right along with

Am I comfortable with losing control over when and how my computer installs updates?
Am I comfortable with Microsoft monitoring what programs are running, how much memory they consume, how much hard disk activity they generate, and how much network data traffic they produce? (Because that is all stuff that's in the telemetry data MS collects.)
Am I comfortable with MS removing windows components and features on a whim, with the assurance of "We replaced it with something better!" as the only consolation?
Am I comfortable with MS uninstalling my software and installing other software they think I will like better behind my back?"

If you decide that "No, I can use WINE to satisfy my windows-only software requirements" and "No, I am not comfortable with one or all of those things." then windows 10 is not really what you want. Go for a consumer Linux distro. There are many out there, and they are rising in popularity.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: December 01, 2019, 05:52:27 pm »

The other question:

Can I run DirectX "1x" software on Windows 7 or am I limited to Windows 10?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: December 01, 2019, 09:28:24 pm »

Just how bad is Windows 10? All I'm seeing is fairly consistent rants that it will EMP your hardware while stealing all your personal information and the souls of your unborn children.

Nah, your hardware will be fine.

It looks like there are some concerns if you're on limited bandwidth, and sometimes compatibility issues. Windows 7 is still good, but they're stopping support for it eventually. Spying aside (which, if you've got Steam, Epic, a smartphone, facebook, etc.), it's mostly just that stuff got moved around like when people got upgraded to office 2010 and they made it tougher to find what you want to do. Make sure you have copies of all of the most up-to-date drivers, and make sure they're compatible before you upgrade.

If you've got your copy of Windows 7 still, you could also consider putting off upgrading until you have to.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: December 02, 2019, 04:36:37 am »

The other question:

Can I run DirectX "1x" software on Windows 7 or am I limited to Windows 10?

Windows 7 is supposed to be compatible up to DirectX version 11.1 (Dx11.0 with raw Windows 7, and Dx11.1 with Windows 7 sp1). As long as the game supports those versions of Dx and you have compatible video card it's worth a shot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/179113/how-to-install-the-latest-version-of-directx

there's some talk of a back-ported Dx12 for Windows 7, however what this actually means is patches for specific games to allow them to work with Windows 7. So they're really just bodging-together a handful of Dx12 games to work with the version of Dx in Windows 7.
https://www.pcgamer.com/au/microsoft-finally-ports-directx-12-to-windows-7-but-only-for-certain-games/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:40:42 am by Reelya »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3983 on: December 17, 2019, 01:39:10 am »

Recently my PC will freeze and I'll be stuck with a still frame and buzzing audio requiring me to force shutdown. Just now it happened while I was playing Call to Arms which is a somewhat resource demanding game, but a week or so ago it happened 3 or 4 times in the space of 30 minutes when I was trying to stream a point-and-click game that wasn't very demanding. Where do I start with diagnosing this?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: December 17, 2019, 02:14:53 am »

Check the electrolytic capacitors for orange goo or blown vents.

Also when was the cpu installed and what compound did you use?

Additionally check that the psu is supplying good voltages.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: December 17, 2019, 06:50:22 am »

Could also be a video card issue, so if it's a desktop removing the video card and running from the onboard video might be worth a shot.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 06:52:15 am by Reelya »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: December 17, 2019, 10:02:46 am »

It sounds like a video card issue. You can try updating or even downgrading the driver. Replacing thw card is the other test.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: December 20, 2019, 01:33:08 pm »

I think my computer might have a virus, but I'm not sure?

It seems a ton of windows processes and apps randomly have duplicates.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlMPCqgpBZxvkGA5abgmxRtiJEWS?e=dCEa1A

I don't know if this is because of a recent windows update or because I have some vicious virus.

2 usermode font driver hosts
3 runtime brokers
3 Realtek hd audio universal service.

Stuff like that.
It used to be Edge and Avast also had duplicates, but not this time?

I've run an Avast boot scan and a windows defender scan. As well I used Microsoft's Malicious software removal tool, and it doesn't go away. I just need to know if I should keep plugging away at the issue. It could just be a new windows feature that I don't know about.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 01:38:04 pm by eerr »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: December 20, 2019, 01:48:53 pm »

I think my computer might have a virus, but I'm not sure?

It seems a ton of windows processes and apps randomly have duplicates.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlMPCqgpBZxvkGA5abgmxRtiJEWS?e=dCEa1A

I don't know if this is because of a recent windows update or because I have some vicious virus.

2 usermode font driver hosts
3 runtime brokers
3 Realtek hd audio universal service.

Stuff like that.
It used to be Edge and Avast also had duplicates, but not this time?

I've run an Avast boot scan and a windows defender scan. As well I used Microsoft's Malicious software removal tool, and it doesn't go away. I just need to know if I should keep plugging away at the issue. It could just be a new windows feature that I don't know about.

Avast has been caught using spyware on users a few times, so that's not a good start. Antivirus in general is pretty iffy (and when you need it, you know what you did).

I think you can try to find out if they are truly duplicate processes or fakes by closing the process tree for one of them. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3989 on: December 21, 2019, 01:45:10 pm »

Putting fresh thermal paste on my CPU solved all my problems, incidentally it's also MUCH quieter now
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 347