Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 492687 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4065 on: March 28, 2020, 02:22:14 am »

So are you telling me that these things just get worse and worse over time because of drivers that get more and more bloated each update? And all that weird BS with this thing crashing the system, loading the CPU for no reason, and the Antimalware Service Executable being really overzealous is from said bloat?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: March 28, 2020, 02:48:58 am »

It has gotten worse and worse with their requirements, from what I have noticed.  Seriously, the radeon drivers require the .net framework, because the devs dont want to use actual win32 api.  As a consequence, the drivers literally lug a user-mode abstraction framework around to do shit with.

Whenever I raise my voice about this, I get shouted down for reasons that are asinine to me, but whatever.

nVidia is not much better these days.  Still, it's a thing.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: March 28, 2020, 09:31:31 am »

Does anybody know how to use the advanced alt codes for special symbols?  I've been looking through alt-codes.net and all of them that are listed as just plain numbers work fine, but as soon as special symbols are added to the code, I no longer understand how to input it.  Here are 2 symbols they have listed together with the codes provided:

Circled Plus ⊕
Decimal: &#8853   Hex: &#x2295

N-ary Circled Plus Operator ⨁
Decimal: &#10753   Hex: &#x2A01

I assume the decimal code is the one to use, so I tried the following for the Circled Plus:

alt + 38 = &
alt + 35 = #
alt + 38358853 = E
alt + 8853 = ò

However, I'm now tempted to conclude that all the other symbols are not accessible via alt codes, and that the decimal / hex codes given are just for programmers to use. 

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: March 28, 2020, 09:41:08 am »

Use charmap to view a font.

In the lower left corner, it will display the alt+#### code for the selected glyph.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: March 28, 2020, 02:28:50 pm »

Nice, I have been using the insert special character option in a text editor all this time not knowing there was a built in character map program in windows.  Playing around with it, there are a lot of characters that only list a value of U+25BA for example for ►.  The alt-codes.net shows alt+16 giving that same symbol ►.  Is there anyway to translate that U+25BA code into a usable alt code?  Or do you know of any repository where someone has listed all the alt codes in one place?  alt-codes.net currently has more alt codes listen than the windows character map.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: March 31, 2020, 03:57:19 am »

Is there a way to stop my computer monitor from adjusting its black level automatically?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: March 31, 2020, 04:27:59 am »

Is your computer monitor a TV?

I would need the make and model of your display to give coherent answer to that question.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: March 31, 2020, 04:29:38 am »

It's an LG monitor, model number 23MP67HQ.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: March 31, 2020, 05:58:34 am »

I dont see that it does.  The manual for your TV only has options for black level of "high" and "Low". No option to disable auto black-level.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: March 31, 2020, 07:22:29 am »

Gotta love the translations in that manual:

This is subsidiary for color weakness user.

Translation: this is an accessibility feature for colorblind users.

Here's the other feature that's probably to blame:

If option of SMART ENERGY SAVING is High or Low, monitor luminance become higher or lower depend on source.

Yeah, I'm betting it's this "smart energy saving" feature.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:24:10 am by Reelya »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: March 31, 2020, 07:39:14 am »

It's definitely turned off, I checked.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: March 31, 2020, 08:13:15 am »

What are the circumstances in which you notice the difference?

For my LCD monitor for example, even a pure black screen is brighter than when the monitor times out. That's just an artifact of the LCD being powered however, nothing can be done about that.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: March 31, 2020, 08:24:42 am »

Watching YT videos in fullscreen, then exiting fullscreen. I suspect it's trying to reproduce the colors in the video correctly by raising the black level to high, but when I exit fullscreen, it doesn't reset the black level to low. Given that I use dark themes, and have a black wallpaper (just solid #000000 black), it's really noticeable when the black level is high. Plus, colors look too washed out for my tastes, which is why I set mine to low.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: March 31, 2020, 08:45:17 am »

That may not be the monitor. Nvidia, at least, has the ability to set up a different color profile for full-screen video in the control panel. I assume that AMD and Intel have the same ability, but I haven't used a non-Nivida card in almost twenty years.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: March 31, 2020, 07:10:45 pm »

I found a guide to fixing the black level issue on Nvidia cards, which is what I have. The TL;DR version (assuming your drivers are reasonably new) is that under Display> Change resolution, there's an option for output dynamic range. Set it to Full.
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 347