Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 492690 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4365 on: November 25, 2020, 02:43:26 pm »

Yeah, I dumpbin'd all the dependencies and then copied all the libraries (including mingw libraries and msvcrt) over to the directory of the executable and it worked. I shouldn't have to copy msvcrt, it should be able to find that on its own.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: November 25, 2020, 02:46:09 pm »

No it shouldn't.

There's some code that scans the exe, then it extracts version information, then it has a lookup table of which DLL to provide based on that scan. This is all retrofitting, none of that was built to work that way. If you add extra DLLs that the programmers didn't specifically write code to scan for, it can't magically know what they go with. There needs to be a dependency database entry in SysWOW that tells it how and when to deploy any specific dll it's got in it's library. It's a lookup system, so just throwing random files into the folder does fuck all. It does not scan the contents every dll when you ask for a dll, because that would be a huge hit on performance, even if it would work.

The program only goes "gimme shitgibbon.dll !" then SysWOW scans the exe and it works out things like which compiler / runtime version you built that with, and has a list of all the versions of shitgibbon.dll and which compiler it goes with. The point here is that "know about everything ever" would add massive amounts of bloat. You're giving it exes it knows nothing about and giving it DLLs it knows nothing about, so it can't possibly connected the two unless someone wrote code specifically to know about those two things and say "this goes with that". Have you seen the size of SysWOW? it's already by far the largest folder inside Windows directory, and that's because it's a huge catalogue of every version of old stuff and code for detecting when each is needed. And ... users expect this to basically happen instantly or they get pissed. So it has to work this way. They discontinue support for the really old stuff because that's the only way to even get a lid on the size of this, and it definitely can't implement "auto-scan for unknown dlls that might go with some unknown exe" due to how complicated, unpredictable and slow that would be.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 03:03:33 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: November 30, 2020, 08:51:38 pm »

Minor Linux question. I've been using a Pi4 as a media player of late, and one feature I'm greatly missing is the ability to sort videos by duration. In Win10, it is trivial to do this - you just set the view to Details mode, enable Show Duration, and then click to sort. This does not seem to be an option in Linux.

I'd be satisifed with just the ability to show duration, honestly.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: December 01, 2020, 12:03:44 am »

Which file manager do you use?  Any instructions will be file manager specific, and different distros use different ones by default, and even then, you might have a preference.

(For instance, while I use XFCE, I dislike Thunar, and install Nemo)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: December 01, 2020, 12:13:02 am »

It seems to be called pcmanfm.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: December 01, 2020, 01:02:36 am »

I've got a Pi set up for media use... Well, standard (fairly recent) Raspbian, on which I use VLC[1] when I'm not actively doing other things. Though I've never really used it like this, enqueuing a number of potential media gets you the playtimes in the playlist screen. Don't know if you can sort by them[3], but it (mostly, where the format divulges it) does at least show the duration - or a guess when its ambiguous - and you can certainly manually shuffle or discard items with that info in mind.

[1] Or ffplay set up as a basic fall-back when I get something beyond VLC's abilities[2] but I don't get fancy stuff like I mention above or even playback speed hastening.  Or any idea of the duration/progress even while playing... ;)

[2] It has an annoying habit of occasionally stopping working (but only since I set it up with some bluetooth earphones, whether or not they're set up as the Pi's sound output, which probably means I semi-broke it.. ) when transitioning between two playlisted items that actually forces me to kill -9 the vlc process and start it up again (as an alternative to a whole Pi restart, but I've got a handy badh script to help me with that). But I didn't come here to get this solved, just sayin'. Ffplay not only doesn't ever go gaga like this, it also seems to cover a superset of the more esoteric codecs I sometimes stumble upon needing. But it remains 'minimal' in the interface stakes, even if this helps with keyboard control issues.

[3] The Pi's at the place I left this morning and won't see again until Friday, VLCs on Windows machines in this and the next room are significantly different versions. I've also got VLC on Android, but currently no media files on there (without hunting random App caches, I suppose) to test... ;)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: December 01, 2020, 02:23:40 am »

It seems to be called pcmanfm.

In theory, one could install a plugin for this missing functionality. (the maintainers of PCMANFM seem to feel that the plugin support system they integrated is all they need be concerned with, and that the end user can either produce this functionality themselves using this system, or find a suitable plugin.  I think that is kinda shitty of them, and a greater than 10min search turned up zero results for a suitable plugin.)

In practice, I see many suggestions to switch to the Dolphin file manager, which does it natively.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: December 01, 2020, 03:33:11 am »

For Dwarf Fortress running on Ryzen processors, does FCLK (Infinity Fabric clock) do anything for performance? In theory, Infinity Fabric is inter-core (inter-CCX, if my dives into the Zen architecture are correct) communication. Considering that DF is practically single-core, I doubt that it would do much of anything, but I'm just asking out of curiosity.

FCLK is separate, but tied to memory clock by a ratio. For most purposes, 1:1 (FCLK : memory clock) seems to be the ideal ratio. I wonder if you locked the memory clock speed to something like 3600 MHz, but then set different ratios to end up with different and lower FCLK speeds, you'd end up with no change in DF performance because it's basically single-core. I don't have a Ryzen system on hand, else I'd be testing this hypothesis out myself.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: December 01, 2020, 03:46:00 am »

Only way to know is through structured testing.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: December 01, 2020, 04:22:52 am »

Minor Linux question. I've been using a Pi4 as a media player of late, and one feature I'm greatly missing is the ability to sort videos by duration. In Win10, it is trivial to do this - you just set the view to Details mode, enable Show Duration, and then click to sort. This does not seem to be an option in Linux.

I'd be satisifed with just the ability to show duration, honestly.

I'm not familiar with pcmanfm but if the option exists it should be under View->Sort.

One option would be to run a simple bash script to output the data.  This should get you started https://github.com/seb0zz/get_duration_of_videos, easy enough to modify for your purposes (e.g. no need to copy the videos just specify the local folder/tree where they are located).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: December 01, 2020, 04:30:01 am »

He does not seem interested in sorting a command-line invocation's return; He seems interested in having his GUI file manager be able to be drop-sorted by clicking on the "length" column, and it sorting his media files in the folder based on length, ascending or descending.

A dumb file manager wont be able to do that, because it requires identification of a media file, the reading and then parsing of its header, and the extraction of the length information in order to make this determination.

This is why it is usually handled by a plugin to the file manager in the linux world. (your ability to parse an arbitrary media file would be dependent upon which media handling libraries you have installed, et al.)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: December 01, 2020, 04:43:12 am »

Actually it outputs the length data to a text file (which could easily be reordered by length).  It is not all that is wished for but it would suffice for 'just the ability to show duration'.  More - here is some of what is desired without needing to install a different desktop manager - rather than - this completely solves the problem.  And really the choice depends on what use is intended of the sorted information (or display).

Edit: if sortable display of the information in the GUI is desired one way to do this would be to with a script that batch renames the video files to append the duration as either a prefix or suffix.  A prefix could use sort by name as an ersatz sort by duration.  A little forethought on syntax would also allow the script to be run repeatedly (i.e. new videos added) without adding multiple prefixs.  (So this is where one might take it beyond the start... sorry for the lack of a shiny 'install' button.  :P)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 06:32:50 am by feelotraveller »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: December 01, 2020, 06:57:13 am »

Only way to know is through structured testing.
I have an idea of what the test procedure would look like, then. I'm no expert, so I'm using off-the-shelf (i.e whatever I'm aware of that I can take from elsewhere) tests.

Part 1: Adjusting FCLK

To widen the range of possible testers, I'll adjust the memory clock speed down to 3200 MHz. I think it's a reasonable speed to run at, since tech websites tend to recommend this speed for Ryzen. With that in place, I'd use FCLKs of 1600, 1400, 1200, 1000, and 800. This equates to memCLK:FCLK ratios of 1:1, 7:8, 3:4, 5:8, and 1:2. Just keep your original memory timings; I don't think it'll have much bearing on performance.

Then, in BIOS, you set the memory clock speed to 3200 MHz, then you set the ratio to get your desired FCLK.

I sense a problem here, though. Do Ryzen motherboards actually let you set any ratio you want, or are you only allowed to use a predefined list of ratios? Or even better, can you just set the FCLK directly so that we don't have to deal with this ratio nonsense?

Part 2: Testing DF performance

To test for FCLK's effect on DF performance, I'd use vosgren's DFmark, running just the TESTSMALLGEN preset to test for worldgen and TESTSMALLEMBARK for embark (it tests for an entire simulated year, which would take a while on the big version). If using Windows, I'd go and use this:

And it does this 4 times. Since we're looking for sustained performance here, the first run of each will be discarded. As usual, the test system should be left unattended for the entire test to prevent user activity from contaminating the results. The small versions are used to prevent it from taking far too long; we need to repeat this performance testing 5 times for each FCLK setting. One round of this would take around an hour on my i5-9300H, dual-channel DDR4-2666, based on my preliminary testing.

The "Test_Results.txt" file created after each run should be saved somewhere, and the filename changed to something like "[CPU]_FCLK_xxxx", xxxx being the FCLK setting used for that run, and [CPU] being the CPU used, like "Ryzen 5 5600X".

Part 3: Compiling Data

Thing is, I'm not sure I'd trust people to compile their results in a consistent manner, so I think I'll ask them for the raw test data first so that I can compile it later. I have my own methods. I'd use Google Sheets so that people can contribute their results, but my account name is now my real name, so I don't think I could use that. Not sure I want yet another account to manage, too, so... eh.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 07:00:18 am by methylatedspirit »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: December 01, 2020, 07:43:45 am »

My iPad shows Cupertino CA’s weather when swiping right on the home screen. I live in Iowa. Location tracking is on. How do I get it to show my city’s weather by default instead of Cupertino?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: December 01, 2020, 08:41:38 am »

He does not seem interested in sorting a command-line invocation's return; He seems interested in having his GUI file manager be able to be drop-sorted by clicking on the "length" column, and it sorting his media files in the folder based on length, ascending or descending.

This is correct. I'm never working with my entire media library (to avoid choice paralysis), so any scripting solution would be very cumbersome. I just want to be able to easily be able to say "I have time for this movie but not that movie".
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 347