Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 482993 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4380 on: December 01, 2020, 11:50:09 am »

One could 'easily' (...FCVO. SMOC!) have a shell-script that accepted a selection of files, calculated[1] the lengths and pop up a hint-list. Then you could select a likely bunch, 'right click' and send their names paramaterised to the associated script for display. Maybe a dumb listing as a guide, possibly repackaged into a clickable list (htmlified dynamically and sent to browser? I suppose a Tcl/Tk solution might be the better (thinner) solution though...). Or develop this in a directly PCMANFM-friendly pluginabilityness to plug the very obvious gap, but I can help you very little in that right now.

I might give this a go at the weekend, though it'll probably not be flexible enough for everyday use by the time I've finished polishing it to my own satisfaction.

Not a 'solution', but I often listen to (or watch) media at 150% speed, so hour-long things only take 40 minutes - and still perfectly understandable for it (200% can be a bit too much, unless I'm rebinging on the way to the 'good bits' for something I know well enough). Apart from making the normal-speed bit actually seem a liiitttlle biiit sssllooooww (in my head) when dropping back to that, it's a handy trick available if your media player allows it. I've got l some radio from this morning currently piping through my headphones as I write this, and it's hardly making it dilfiluct to tyep thungs att al!!!ñ ;)

[1] Or retrieved from file, having once been calculated. And if you have that, you could also do a reverse-search by popping up anything of "30m+-5m", possibly with additional theme/genre filtering if you have time to set that up as well, to give you randomised suggestions that suit.  Back in the day, I had a nice little script called by the .xinitrc to check for console location (or ask me to enter it, for the IP, if not known) via a simple flatfile, with a pop-up console that let me check what other users of note were also logged in on in the same lab's machines ("abc123 @ ServerWell/Next to door") or any othe lab I decided to check (e.g. from the VT100s) to see if there were free seats. It wouldn't take much to convert that idea to your purpose, though in a much less kludgy (and no longer so X11/bashy) manner. ;)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: December 01, 2020, 05:43:51 pm »

My iPad shows Cupertino CA’s weather when swiping right on the home screen. I live in Iowa. Location tracking is on. How do I get it to show my city’s weather by default instead of Cupertino?
Does this help? https://www.iphonetricks.org/how-to-edit-weather-widget-location-in-ios-14/
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: December 01, 2020, 05:53:23 pm »

It seems to be called pcmanfm.

In theory, one could install a plugin for this missing functionality. (the maintainers of PCMANFM seem to feel that the plugin support system they integrated is all they need be concerned with, and that the end user can either produce this functionality themselves using this system, or find a suitable plugin.  I think that is kinda shitty of them, and a greater than 10min search turned up zero results for a suitable plugin.)

In practice, I see many suggestions to switch to the Dolphin file manager, which does it natively.

Dolphin doesn't want to display the duration, but allows me to sort by duration. This is close enough to what I need for now.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: December 01, 2020, 11:34:58 pm »

My iPad shows Cupertino CA’s weather when swiping right on the home screen. I live in Iowa. Location tracking is on. How do I get it to show my city’s weather by default instead of Cupertino?
Does this help? https://www.iphonetricks.org/how-to-edit-weather-widget-location-in-ios-14/
Yes, thank you

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: December 02, 2020, 02:07:01 am »

Any advice on how to debug a program with a binary executable for memory errors which I'm modifying? WinDbg reports an error after the supposed original error occurred. I don't think the memory error is made in my modification code (I added tracking there.) I tried App Verifier but the program freezes on startup when I use that for some reason. Is there a way to redirect calls from malloc to _malloc_dbg at runtime?
I'm on Windows.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: December 04, 2020, 04:32:48 am »

I'm considering putting together an AMD Ryzen testbed some time in the future to test out some theories of mine. I'm looking for 3200MHz sticks. There's 2 major choices. I could go for this fancy 3200MHz, CL16 RAM, or I could go for this generic-looking CL22 RAM at the same speed.

Looks mean nothing to me, so that's out of the question. Is there a major difference between CL16 and CL22 at 3200MHz, especially considering that I'm looking at getting an APU of some kind, which uses RAM as VRAM?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: December 04, 2020, 10:08:28 am »

APUs remain onboard video cards, and as such are still not great options. Depending on what yiur testbed is supposed to be testing, you may want to consider that decision carefully.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: December 04, 2020, 10:26:01 am »

I'm not looking for any sort of performance here. I just want a Zen-based (which Ryzen and Athlon processors are built on) computer to test some theories out. Most of them would relate to Infinity Fabric* (unique to the Zen architecture), but I heard there's some fun in trying my hand at memory overclocking. It's all about the CPU and memory and how they interact. The GPU's a complete afterthought.

Since my budget is a whole load of nothing, I've elected to use an APU, since I'm not spending money on a dedicated GPU if I can help it. Plus, it'll be good for a laugh to see how badly the integrated graphics runs games. Then again, all the APUs I'd consider buying for this odd project of mine are sold out right now (or they're being sold above MSRP), so I guess I'll have time to reconsider.

EDIT: It appears that the Ryzen 3000 APUs do not allow for FCLK tweaking by virtue of being on the Zen+ arch, so no dice there. I'll have to get a Ryzen 3000 CPU. GT 710, here I come!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 10:42:40 am by methylatedspirit »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: December 04, 2020, 11:20:55 am »

I would expect CL16 RAM to outperform CL22 RAM of the same frequency.  The RAM timings are related to how many cycles it takes to perform an operation.  16 is a significant percentage quicker than 22.  Usually the RAM timing is given as a series of numbers, not just 1, but they're often more or less a series of the same number, so it's not that important.

I usually compare RAM by dividing its frequency by the timing cycle number (your 16 or 22 here), and the higher the number, the quicker it can pass data to the CPU.  You'll probably notice that when comparing RAM of equal clock speeds, those with tighter timings will generally cost more.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 11:26:29 am by Schmaven »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: December 06, 2020, 11:01:48 pm »

What's the cheapest, crappiest, PCIe GPU that still has HDMI that I could get? It's for my Ryzen testbench, and I'm not planning on testing any GPU-related things on it. Not yet, anyway. I feel that the classic GT 710 is too expensive for my needs (which is not something I thought I'd ever say), so I need a bonafide potato of a display adapter.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: December 07, 2020, 12:12:41 am »

Does your Ryzen have integrated graphics? You wouldn't need a discrete video card then.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: December 07, 2020, 12:16:03 am »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: December 07, 2020, 01:39:39 am »

Does your Ryzen have integrated graphics? You wouldn't need a discrete video card then.
Tentatively looking at either a Ryzen 3 3100 or a Ryzen 3 3300X, whichever is available. No integrated graphics on either of them. Technically, all I want is a Zen 2 or later chip (since those allow for FCLK tuning), and those are just the cheapest options I know of.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 01:41:42 am by methylatedspirit »

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: December 09, 2020, 07:17:21 am »

Apparently many of my games are failing to create a Direct3D device or something, and wants me to upgrade my drivers. (Or turn down my display resolution, but it didn't work). So, I might sound like an extreme idiot posting this but, uh, how exactly do I do this?
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: December 09, 2020, 07:55:08 am »

Typically the manufacturer's website will have driver updates for their cards.  Just put your card's model # in their search bar with 'driver' and you should see some options.  If you don't know your card's exact model #, there are 2 free programs that will tell you: speccy; and cpuz.
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 347