Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315]

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 349538 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4710 on: September 30, 2021, 11:39:45 am »

Not that it adds much to the laptop v. desktop debate, but cat-owners-who-smoke clog up their cooling fans far more than most (for obvious reasons), whichever machine type. But you are certainly advised not to habitually use the laptop in bed[1] as being sat on the duvet/whatever tends to make a prime source for much more dust (microfibres, even if not bodily dust) just ripe to be sucked into the vents, which are more designed for operation on a smooth, flat, hard surface so make have to work harder.

Just some (additional) additional experience gained from sorting out diverse problems for others. ;)

(The self-UPS capabity is a good additional point. My big excuse for missing it is that I use a laptop so old that the battery has died (and never got around to getting a replacement, knowing I'm using it as a handy-sized house-to-house portable legacy desktop anyway, and power supply being rarely off in this more fortunate place) so it's removed to prevent overheating and I always just plug it in.)

[1] Aside from the risk of snoozy crushing, or indeed any other reason you might imagine that involves the inbuilt cameras. Also, it's probably bad for sleep patterns. In both these issues. ;) )

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: October 15, 2021, 07:37:10 am »

My computer is by no means good, but something is up.

Playing DF on this laptop has required some sacrifices - small maps, pocket worlds, etc. It's manageable. It was, at least, on Windows. This summer I swapped to Ubuntu and didn't play DF until recently. Almost immediately I noticed a very sickening effect. The game chugs. I mean chugs. It runs at a normal, slowish speed, but then gets like...a pulse of speed. Everything ticks really quickly for half a second, then the game returns to normal. It's bad enough I had to lower the FPS limit - putting myself into self-induced FPS death.

Any clues what this could be and how I can...fix it?
I have 8 gigs of ram, of which about 1.5 is used.
My processor is a hearty 1.10GHz - 2 cores. One core is constantly at 95~% usage, even without DF running. The other fluctuates from 10% to 60% and I suspect is the source of this issue.

EDIT:
I installed the debian package of DF (out of date, 47.04...) and it does the same, so it's definitely the computer, not the files themselves.
The normal speed is satisfactory, but the speed-ups are actually nauseating. I limited FPS to 30 and still get the pulses occasionally, but it seems to be less frequent. A larger fortress doesn't get it, as it struggles to meet 30 FPS.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:18:48 am by delphonso »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
  • entropic soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: October 15, 2021, 07:58:27 am »

I know this opinion is entirely useless but whenever I hear biiig linux fanboys complain about bloat in windows, I think to myself: "yeah as if your distro is leveraging all system ressources with them generic drivers" ... You win some you loose some.

Also 8gig seems gigantic for that laptop you been upgrading havent you  :D?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:00:03 am by dragdeler »
The truth hurts, letīs reverse that and hurt them with the truth.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: October 15, 2021, 08:47:56 am »

I would check these things:

1) Since this is a laptop, is CPU throttling happening?  Often, linux distros set rather.... ... ... aggressive... throttling settings for the CPU when it detects that it has been installed on a laptop.
  https://github.com/erpalma/throttled#static-fix

2) is ZRAM enabled? If it is, temporarily disable it, and see if your problem goes away.  (get output of [cat /proc/swaps], and see if /dev/zram0 is a swap device.)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Physicists are terrorists, into fundamental forces
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: October 15, 2021, 01:01:40 pm »

In terms of addressing the symptoms have you also tried reducing the G_FPS_CAP?  Usual advice is to set to a multiple of the FPS setting, so try 30 or even 15.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: October 15, 2021, 05:42:56 pm »

In terms of addressing the symptoms have you also tried reducing the G_FPS_CAP?  Usual advice is to set to a multiple of the FPS setting, so try 30 or even 15.

Yeah, sorry for the lack of clarity, I lowered both to 30.

I would check these things:

1) Since this is a laptop, is CPU throttling happening?  Often, linux distros set rather.... ... ... aggressive... throttling settings for the CPU when it detects that it has been installed on a laptop.
  https://github.com/erpalma/throttled#static-fix

2) is ZRAM enabled? If it is, temporarily disable it, and see if your problem goes away.  (get output of [cat /proc/swaps], and see if /dev/zram0 is a swap device.)

I am running an update right now, but will check these two after the fact - I would guess it's throttling, as the RAM seems fine.

Also 8gig seems gigantic for that laptop you been upgrading havent you  :D?

Such a thing would certainly void my warranty, so surely not, never.

EDIT:
Upgrading to Ubuntu 21.10 seems to have fixed whatever the issue is. CPU load is equal among the cores - so no more 100% on one and 10-60% on the other, with that the pulsing is gone. Wish I knew exactly what caused it, but happy to be rid of it. I'll keep an eye on it either way.

Now I can enjoy FPS death the old fashion way.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 07:18:08 pm by delphonso »
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315]