Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 483158 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4815 on: December 26, 2021, 03:08:34 am »

Thanks, makes sense. Clearing everything and trying again didn't bear any useful fruit -- what do you mean with disabling driver enforcement? Searching it brings up driver signature enforcement which doesn't seem helpful here, unless I'm drastically missing how this works.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: December 26, 2021, 03:31:36 am »

That is it.  It disables MS nannyism, and will allow you to force-install/manual-pick a driver. (The change driver process behaves a little differently when it is enabled, and windows complains about it.)

Boot with enforcement off.

Open device manager.

Right click on the GPU under display devices.

Choose 'Update Driver'

Choose 'Let me specify a location'

Uncheck 'display only compatible devices'

Point it at the folder created by the driver installation program.

Manually pick the driver.

Windows will bitch. Ignore its snivelling.

Let it install.

Hopefully, profit.:

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4817 on: December 29, 2021, 02:30:03 am »

Hmm. I appear to be able to install the driver like that, but it doesn't seem to change anything -- I still get the ol' code 43. Not sure if it's actually any different to before, actually, as the driver seems previously to have been installed, Windows just (presumably) rejected it and it's still doing that. Any other last ditch possibilities? I'm arguably overdue a proper system cleanup so a full Windows reinstall isn't actually off the table, if that might help.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4818 on: December 31, 2021, 03:32:13 am »

Update: I did reset/partial windows reinstall and it seems to have resolved the issue. GPU is now talking to me again without complaint.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: December 31, 2021, 07:39:57 am »

Usually that "fix" most issues with windows. Beware, if it was an update that screw you over is bound to happen again.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: January 16, 2022, 05:11:09 am »

Does anyone have any idea why firefox keeps switching my default search engine from DuckDuckGo to Yahoo Search, it even does this if I switch back to google. It doesn't just do it on start up but also randomly while I'm using it.

It's been doing this since google decided I needed to use the mobile version and I swapped it for DuckDuckGo.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: January 16, 2022, 08:38:12 am »

That sounds like some sort of malware.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: January 16, 2022, 08:52:40 am »

Yeah, sounds like a malicious extension.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: January 17, 2022, 02:01:12 am »

Any ideas as to how I should go about getting rid of it?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: January 17, 2022, 03:33:58 am »

This article should walk you through the possibilities: https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/browser-switching-yahoo-search/

First step should be to back up (sync) your personal browser data so that bookmarks etc. are not lost/can be recovered.  Hopefully after that a simple browser reset willl fix it.  If not keep reading the above article.  Sorting through your extensions to find out if one of the recent ones caused the issue is where I'd look next.  MalwareBytes is free, safe and an effective tool in my experience.

If interested in further reading it is quite a well known issue - search for 'yahoo search redirect virus'.  Just to note it's not yahoo.search itself but rather the intermediary sites which harvest your data that are the malicious bit, annoying as it is to constantly be losing your preferred search engine.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: January 17, 2022, 03:55:38 am »

It happened again but this time I got the name, it's called ScrhTab, I also found it in the Add-ons and it's the only thing in there I'm not sure what is. If it matters it says it's made by something called Thent Team.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: January 17, 2022, 04:40:47 am »

Remove it.  Reset browser (backup your browser data/settingsd first!).  If problem persists download the free version of malwarebytes and scan with that and remove the infected files.

(Wild guess on the name - it's probably scoring your searches for advertising purposes... or maybe that's just what it wants us to think...)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: January 18, 2022, 02:45:18 am »

Thanks for the advice it seems whatever that ScrhTab thing was, was what was causing the issue.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: January 26, 2022, 03:34:37 pm »

Not entirely sure this needs solving, but if anybody knows how to stop Chrome For Android from popping over a "View as simplified page", it'd be nice to know.

I do most of my stuff (on Android) via Firefox, which has its own quibbles and oddities and 'fixes/updates' to the UI that I actually think were backwards/perpendicular steps, but right now I'm more annoyed with this particular aspect of Chrome. And if someone thinks they know where this thing's configuration is, I might find a neighbouring setting or three that also solve other niggles.

But if nobody knows... Well, I'm used to suffering. Consider this just a moan for mainly theraputic purposes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: January 26, 2022, 09:17:09 pm »

On Windows 10, is there a way to make sure Google Drive can never be installed? I don't use Google Drive for anything, and regularly uninstall it, but it keeps coming back and asking me to log in. I have no idea what keeps installing it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 347