Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 491424 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4905 on: June 20, 2022, 09:25:26 pm »

I've long had Settings|Battery|Sleep set to Never, on devices like this one.
The thing is, I can't find any such setting anywhere. It's just not there. Not conspicuously so, at least.

Same with app-specific settings. There's just 'allow background activity', but shit still turns itself off a few minutes after the screen goes to sleep.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: June 20, 2022, 09:59:32 pm »

The thing is, I can't find any such setting anywhere. It's just not there. Not conspicuously so, at least.

Same with app-specific settings. There's just 'allow background activity', but shit still turns itself off a few minutes after the screen goes to sleep.
If you can turn on Developer Options (I forget how, look it up), there's a "Stay awake - screen will never sleep while charging". What app do you use to listen to podcasts? Spotify keeps playing audio for me.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: June 21, 2022, 12:13:44 am »

This is just me theorizing a project, none of the stuff on hand yet.

Let's say I wanted to turn a Raspberry Pi into a laptop or simple desktop. I take a broken laptop's screen, add an LCD controller and now I've got an easy screen.

A raspberry pi is run on 3.3V and most LCD controllers require 12V power source. What would I use to have only one power cable running to this guy? Some sort of relay? I'm really just looking for vocabulary.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: June 21, 2022, 12:34:36 am »

Pi I think gets USB-C power at 20V. I don't think a Pi would have the current capacity to drive a whole LCD screen anyway. You would need to drive it from elsewhere. I would get a separate 12V power supply. You could just get a mains power Y-splitter and plug the two power supplies in together, braiding their cables together. Alternatively you could get a USB-C to 12V supply board to power your screen and either plug into another USB-C outlet on the power supply with another cable or get a USB-C power Y-splitter (that can handle your needed amperages) and split power from one cable to the Raspberry Pi and the screen.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: June 21, 2022, 12:38:53 am »

Aye, I was mistaken there. It's 5.1V at 3A for a rasppi 4. My intention would be to have one cable plugged into the wall to run both devices. As yeah, runninng the LCD through the pi would be a pain.

Something like a Y splitter is right. Is there something a bit lower profile? Maybe the supply board is the way to go.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: June 21, 2022, 01:11:22 am »

Well if you want just one cable from the wall but are ok with having the power supply inside the chassis you can get a tiny gallium nitride power supply with two USB-C outlets from Anker or similar and run two USB-C cables, one to the Pi and one to the 12V supply. Here's one for about 12 bucks (it actually negotiates USB-C power output to 12V from the power supply): https://www.amazon.com/JacobsParts-Voltage-Trigger-Module-Type-C/dp/B08NFKV2LD

Here's one that has 12V on a barrel plug: https://www.adafruit.com/product/5450
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 01:17:39 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: June 21, 2022, 03:40:38 am »

The number of times I've looked up a solution for an Android thing I encountered and the solution said "go into Settings|Foo|Bar|Baz" but I can't find it (no Baz under Foo|Bar, or not even Bar under Foo!), I swear that every vendor out there employs a team to reconfigure the Settings menus explicitly to confuse anyone else, even those who used a prior sub-version of the same vendor's Android devices...

But I appear to also have "|Display|Sleep=Never" set (on looking further down the menus... has identical options, but not yet checked if it's functionally linked, so that both reflect the change made on either!) so maybe its there, for you. Or even elsewhere (though it isn't also there under my "Security & Location" subtab, etc, I could imagine reasons why it might be).

Of course, it'll probably not even be called Sleep, for you, either, when you eventually find it burrowed in a sub-sub-tab of Accessibility or somesuch. ;)

So, if I'm getting you correctly, you have a set of nodes, some of which mutually exclude each other, and you want to find a maximum-size subset of nodes none of which exclude each other?
Spoiler: Long answer... (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: July 04, 2022, 07:48:13 am »

I don’t know if this is the best place to post this, but there is a game I have on my computer that will show the loading screen but be stuck at 0%, it’s a Steam game, and I went to Properties and said every file was there, at least it’s free. Is there a way to troubleshoot something like this? What files to check? What would I look for?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: July 04, 2022, 09:06:50 am »

If it's not the developer's problem (somehow made it go into a loop on hitting some unaccounted-for system state that happens to be what your machine is in... see if anyone else has reported that issue, maybe?) then I'd try reinstalling (in case something went wrong with the first install, and VITAL.DLL or IMPORTANT.CFG is missing/corrupt in a not-instantly-fatal way). Could be revealed (and/or solved and/or made into a more 'hard error') if a disk-check and fix comes across signs of inappropriately cross-linked files from some data corruption. But that could mean a bigger problem.

You could fire up your OS's own process-listing thing (or a third-party app with this functionality), to see what might be running at 100% of a CPU (or effectively so, for any given core(s)), what files are currently being accessed, etc. But there are so many different ways of doing that and who knows what else you have running[1] to confuse the issue if you're not already familiar with their presence in the background. If it's not a known issue then you may be asked to check this kind of thing in whatever manner the developer thinks best, but it's a bit more of a shot in the dark without more intimate knowledge of what might be going wrong.

[1] These days, Anti-Virus programs are better at not running race-conditions in certain circumstances, but if you find that that is eating up processor cycles, without even giving you an actual report of anything nasty, I'm sure both the AV and game vendors would be interested. Once any more trivial examination has been made and not helped much.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: July 04, 2022, 01:12:41 pm »

Is there a way to troubleshoot something like this? What files to check? What would I look for?

Start by covering the general bases: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/5814-D9A3-BE42-62DF (could system requirements be an issue?).

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the game.  (Yep about equivalent to turning the computer off and back on again, but still.)

After that a decent list of the location of various, possibly helpul but possibly confusing, logs is given in the last post here: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/135509758529538311/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another resource is the steam forum (community/discussions) for the particular game.  A question there may work.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: July 05, 2022, 01:08:06 am »

I have nothing to add to the above but instead came with my own question.

Does anyone know how to download an age restricted video from youtube?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: July 05, 2022, 04:45:20 am »

I have nothing to add to the above but instead came with my own question.

Does anyone know how to download an age restricted video from youtube?

Most youtube to mp4 converters just take the url (ignoring ads, restrictions, etc). If you have a link to the video, you should be able to paste it in and download it. Also prepare for heaps of shitty ads because those sites are cursed.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: July 06, 2022, 12:38:25 am »

Most youtube to mp4 converters just take the url (ignoring ads, restrictions, etc). If you have a link to the video, you should be able to paste it in and download it. Also prepare for heaps of shitty ads because those sites are cursed.
I should have mentioned that I have several programs that can download videos from youtube, but none of them can download age restricted stuff, do you have any sites you could recommend.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: July 06, 2022, 01:01:13 am »

PM'ed ya.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: July 23, 2022, 07:26:15 am »

Apparently Discord relies on node.js. The most recent version is not available to Windows 7. Does anyone know which version of node.js is required for Discord, and what the most recent version of node.js is available for Windows 7?

Neither seems forthcoming about requirements, because why would they want you to *use* their stuff?
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 347