Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 347

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 483210 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4995 on: February 16, 2023, 06:08:38 pm »

I had to do the same before here. I believe the email thing is broken/unreliable.

I'll just toss in that I recommend people use Bitwarden or another password manager. Really no reason not to at this point (and you can even make folders with all those pesky forum logins that were only used once to ask a very specific question, I'm looking at you Manjaro forums.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: February 17, 2023, 03:43:04 am »

You could do what I do and just wright all your passwords in a TXT document, no risk of third parties giving away your stuff.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: February 17, 2023, 05:47:37 am »

A good memory would solve the password issues most securely, and with no additional stuff.  The tricky part is keeping the memory fresh.  Using the passwords has worked well for that, but these days most programs don't even prompt for a second password on subsequent uses.  I'm sure Bitwarden is unhackable, but keeping all password in 1 spot seems risky.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: February 17, 2023, 09:12:49 am »

On the other side of the worry, I'd be wary of just using a Password Manager to handle ultra-strong (i.e. as random and complicated as you can get) logins to other sites. You lose access to the PM, you've lost access to everything it's remembering for you... (It's bad enough with losing single logins, as above...). Even if you're not worried about that handy store being half-hinched (maybe your PM master-password gets discovered, even if the PM is utterly legit).

And if you have a plaintext file with obvious passwords in it then you have the same issues (either losing it all, or it spilling).

I won't advise anyone to a specific approach, but perhaps combine security (safely away from others) and security (safe from loss by yourself) by using a couple of different approaches, other than pure memory, and anything 'plaintext' (.txt file, post-it note left deep in the back of a drawer, whatever) is further obfuscated (like reversed order of characters BUT NOW I'VE SAID THAT,VDO SOMETHING ELSE..!). And never spell out what each is for ("Yahoo mail: <1revethaW>; MyBank PLC: <2revetahW>; ...") but obfuscate that (e.g., but definitely think about doing it better for you, the first thing you actually bought online was cheese, so "MyBank PLC" is "Cheese"; You once had a long correspondance about rabbits, so Yahoo is "Bunnies"), assuming you can't think of better ways that work best with you.

Ditto think about how you choose your passwords. If you're a "pa$$worD1" type person, barely more than the minimum (say) eight characters, both cases, digits and 'special' characters, then "1Drow$$ap" might be a particularly bad mnemonic (from the POV of being not being detected). Maybe you could get away with the other way round (written and used switched), to thwart casual colleague/family-member intrigue, but you need to consider all the possibilities applicable to you (and what/who you're worried about). But if you faithfully wrote down your PM's 'suggested' 30-character Extended-ASCII mix of random characters, that it autogenerated, then you can probably set it down in almost any (non-vanilla) layout and you won't be giving much of a clue to anyone who doesn't know your method...

Remember to update things when you change passwords, and add new ones before you forget. And if you're inclined to want others to ever have emergency access (next of kin?) then perhaps arrange a method of conveying only those passwords you want them to have that you can convey the details of the finding of from a hospital bed or (in extremis) as a "dead man's handle" delivery or something where things are worse than that (there are numerous ways to accomplish this).

Really, think about what works for you. I'll tell you now that I'm not actually as thorough as all that myself. But I've thought a lot about it anyway, from a professional (as well as philosophical) perspective. I'm probably more lax about some things than I ought to be, with potential for unintended third-parties, and in others I'm far more 'one physical failure from oblivion' than I should be - insofar as various online presences are concerned.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: March 08, 2023, 03:43:22 pm »

More hateing on my PC, this morning windoes has a fit an goes no more log in with pin, no loging in with email an the password.
So im 2 reinstalls in (no you can't go from pro to home) and back to the beat the computer over the head until work like xp time.
Why are hlp files now locked? why are there so many adds and shit like weather, i whant the weather i look out the dam window  >:(
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: March 08, 2023, 08:06:25 pm »

i'm deep in the why the shirt is that like that mode now, like why would i whant it to combine program windoes in to icons if there was any space left on the task bar?
What even is the point of the "trusted installer" it my compioure if i make a mess it my problem.
I admit that i like'd XP's set up better, it shut up and did as i told it, no haveing to chabge file permistionsd and install old xp era file in order to open a .hlp file there.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: March 08, 2023, 08:25:09 pm »

My advice, right now, isn't really technical advice, but... take a break from whatever you're doing now. Sleep on it, start again (perhaps to try to explain your difficulties again) when you're perhaps not so tired and/or emotional[1], if this is really you in the first place (so unlike your general recent posting manner).

General public advice, actually, so I'll keep it in-thread. And, again, it's honest advice that I stil ldon't often follow myself.

[1] It might be too late to really diagnose why user verification wasn't working, I think, but might have been entirely due to PEBCAK error. Which a sleep/reset command (at the wetware level) could possibly have been sufficient.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: March 09, 2023, 01:03:13 am »

You should of heard the swearing an curseing i gave it.
There nothing like some one over your shoulder going "Wipe the hard drive! Why have you got an F an a G drive! why is there windows 7 on the F drive! What is that partition!" to stress you out.
I wasn't me not typeing in the password right, i might be a crap speller an a butter fingers but i can copy a freshly reset password from lap top to desk top.
But it's fixed now, 2 reinstalls later, well as fixed as you can get with haveing to reinstall an configure alot of stuff.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: March 09, 2023, 09:16:00 am »

A smartphone is basically a computer right? I swear mine is trying to gaslight me, because when trying to text I'll just random.place.periods all over the place, and I swear I'm not touching the period button.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: March 09, 2023, 11:43:11 am »

I've seen that happen with moisture on the touch screen.  Could be some deformation of the screen protector putting pressure there too.  It would be an odd malicious virus to do that, but I suppose that's another possible explanation.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: March 09, 2023, 11:58:41 am »

(That, or..) Do you double-space at all? My on-screen keyboard takes multiple spaces and auto converts them (unless you pause for the best part of a second between the taps) to sentence-ends. For X<space><space><space>Y with long pauses, I get "X   Y", i.e. three spaces, but quicker (and, for this experiment, I aimed for what seems to be two a second) I get "X.  Y", with two spaces in the whitespace (might not survive forum-posting like that). It's the first two spaces that go like ". ", but I just thought I'd check if it'd ".. "!

Not quite sure that's what you have ("X.Y" instead of "XY" or maybe "X Y"?), but it's close, so might just be the version/brand of OSK you're using and what "helpful" features it has in-built.

(I've long since removed the auto-suggestion bar from my keyboard, where slightly missing the top row of digits was always prone to getting some random word from its current choice of three that it thought I might be interested in. There are other changes I've made, and others I'd like to (such as the above), but there doesn't seem to be any of the many configuration settings that would correct things. Another example is that, unless it specifically detects that I'm in a URL field[1], it has the little-used "\" as long-press punctuation, but I have to go via the "?123" button (for digits (again!) and the first level of extended punctuation) to get access to the rather more used "/"? No matter which broad set of keyboard layouts (within reason) I choose. Yeah, probably some logic behind it, but I don't think smartphone interface designers are DOS-heads, where C:\ is a common need.)

[1] If I am, it puts "/" into the spot reserved for the ",", otherwise, as if I never really need a comma in a URI. And adds ".org", ".com" etc as long-press options for ".", amongst other things. ;)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 12:00:16 pm by Starver »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: March 17, 2023, 08:18:43 am »

Ok, quick question of my own, for those who use Chrome on Android (or maybe elsewhere)... Can't find any useful places that might mention others with the same issue as me.  ((The rest of you, please feel free to skip!))

There was an update, the other day, and since then grouped tabs aren't accessible. The tab list I use has "single pages" and also tabs that are groups. (Useful to keep same-site/similar-subject pages together in, given that it often dynamically reorders the top-level tab-list in ways I've never understood. Perhaps I overuse the feature, but it's there so.)

If I select a singular tab, I get that page. If I choose a group I should then get a choice of which group-member, but it errors out and quits. Is it still working for anyone else? If not then I either await a further debug update or just "flatten" my tabs out by guessing what reference pages I've got (that I don't think might be no longer current) and opening them singly, anew. (And do the latter anyway for those I need to access now-ish, obviously.)

But it might be just me. (Firefox is still Ok, but then it doesn't have grouped tabs - or I haven't yet found it and taken advantage of, anyway. ;) ) So any positive or negative correlation would be useful, just so I know where I might be..

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: March 17, 2023, 08:48:48 am »

As someone who doesn't use Chrome on mobile, I feel qualified to throw in my two-sensecents.

Have you ensured that Grouping is enabled? Quite possibly it was flipped off during the update.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: March 17, 2023, 09:42:43 am »

...before I go searching in the often incomprehensible[1] configuration items, I already saw a Group Tabs option in the Tabs section menu which appears to do nothing. Neither does it mass group(/ungroup), nor suggest ways to group selected ungrouped ones, nor does it become "Ungroup Tabs" to indicate that it is a toggling option. And I've even no idea if it's a new thing or not. ;)

Grumble over... Now I shall indeed dive further in. Yes, they've done this sort of thing before. But surely I'm not the only one falling foul of it

Edit: yeah, chrome://flags has the grouping things I expect to be flagged, for this, to still be flagged. And I've worked out how the Group Tabs works (messy, unintuitive) and it also creates a crashing-group as per pre-existing or in-tab-created groupings. But I've got a whole lot more of chrome://chrome-urls to work through to see if there aint something else that would hold what might be under chrome://settings on a desktop... They don't make it easy for you!

[1] Doubtless there is logic in accessing the settings, but the last time I went into Chome to that degree I vastly disagreed with their various UX/UD choices. Typical of Google, with my philosophy and theirs often being so disjointed. But for some things I seem to make myself a slave to them anyway, in some ways.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 10:45:04 am by Starver »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: March 17, 2023, 11:00:58 am »

And I've worked out how the Group Tabs works (messy, unintuitive)
Follow-up on this point only (it's not the problem I'm trying to solve, of course). Now what was "Group tabs" and eventually let me drag tabs over each other to group[1] says "Select tabs". It has toggled over, and now any dragging groups things.

And, like when it stuck on "[...I am currently Selecting tabs, press this if you want to] Group tabs", it refuses to change away from "[...I am currently Grouping tabs, press this if you want to] Select tabs". Some irresponsive bug or other. Can't tell you if it's something that always/long enough was broken, as I never invoked it before. But there you go.

Still looking for a reverse operation (select a group, somehow drag items back out of it) as well as other in-roads into the original issue. But as even the reporting feature of Chrome doesn't work as I'd like it to, you're getting my current load of moaning. Sorry!

[1] Stupid way, should be more like tap-and-hold to select, then say Group them/whatever, like file-manager multi-item manipulation in Android)
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 347