Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hypothetical question  (Read 1359 times)

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
hypothetical question
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:22:34 am »

Lets assume that i build a 3x3 cube containing a few dwarves suspended over lava.  What would happen if i disconnect any supporting tiles and drop the cube into the lava? would the cube sink with the dwarves inside surviving or will it collapse killing everything inside?

and if it does sink, what happens when it hits the final z level of the magma ocean.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: hypothetical question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:38:17 am »

It will kill everyone inside, then get absorbed by the semi-molten rock.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:39:12 am »

I believe that when something like that falls it deconstructs, though I could be wrong.  Many have experimented with dropping 'submarines' into the sea.

Regardless, when anything hits the final z level it is destroyed.

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:45:01 am »

aww so no "submarines" ;(

oh well

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:22:33 am »

There is a stupid interesting dwarf trick on the wiki that tells you to build a vessel over a volcano, assign some explorers, put food and booze stockpiles in the vessel, and set the vessel off. It says, 'Bonus points if you can configure it to come back'. It also says you can build a lever connected to the support holding the ship-type thing up, abandon, come back to the fort in adventure mode, and set off down the volcano by pulling the lever.

I'm going to have to try this.

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:34:57 am »

can you link the wiki page about that thanks

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:41:10 am »

Here ye go!

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Stupid_dwarf_trick#Journey_to_the_Center_of_the_Earth

Also, if you want a small cube in a pool of magma, you must fill the area the cube is in with magma.

I've been planning on starting a dwarven colony like this: a large, sealed space, with all sorts of fun, useful stuff: mud, soil, workshops, quantum stockpiles etc. suspended in magma.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 11:48:45 am »

Artificial walls deconstruct when falling; natural ones do not. Thus, you could cast an obsidian cube over the volcano and it wouldn't fully deconstruct at any point. It'll still hit the SMR and be vaporized, though.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 04:33:25 pm »

Even with natural stone, won't hollow spaces/overhangs disappear in the cave-in?

Code: [Select]
XXX
 X
 X

When you dig out the bottom X, it becomes:

X
  XXX
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 06:04:12 pm »

Won't work - there's been a lot of work trying to figure this out, and whilst I don't know what the latest in research is, I know this much:

-Dropping a:
XXX
X X
XXX
will just end up with:
X X
XXX
XXX
(everything just falls down as far as it can)
Note that that is for natural walls. Constructed walls deconstruct into whatever was used to make them, making them utterly useless for this.

-Semi-molten rock at the bottom of lava will just swallow it up, so it's not going to stop - just *poof* out of existence. :P

-I think there's been some experiments with this sort of layout (X being a natural wall, W being water) but I don't know the results:
XWWWWX
XXXXXX
X    X
XXXXXX

-If it doesn't land on semi-molten rock, you can drop this:
X X
X X
X X
X X
X X
X X
X X
X X
X X
X X
XXX
Where it's tall enough to stick out the top of wherever you drop it, eliminating the need for a ceiling. This doesn't really count though. :P

There's probably some other things to do with this as well, but afaik no-one's successfully made a droppable submarine.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 06:18:23 pm »

Use some DFhack to make a landing pad. Cast obsidian to make an open-top container, or just use DFhack while you have it up. Drop it. As soon as it lands, make a roof over it with DFhack. Done!

On a more serious Scientific note, would supports work to hold stuff up? Or would they just deconstruct?