Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: The Tragedy of Dwarf Fortress by Sean Malstrom  (Read 34632 times)

S3Cs4uN 8

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels be Kobold: Too Dangerous
    • View Profile
Re: The Tragedy of Dwarf Fortress by Sean Malstrom
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2011, 11:11:13 pm »

@capntatstic you seem to have completely missed the point I was attempting to make or did you miss the whole MY OPINION thing if that would be the case let me speak it out for you.

Toady will make the game however he wants to, it's his decision and thats all that matters
Ala Kotraldermechebi, Hoardcounter has given birth to octuplets.

Wait What!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2011, 11:13:01 pm »

You literally said you were speaking on Toady's behalf.   Sorry if that's not what you actually meant to say!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 11:13:22 pm »

(The reason why many universities are in decline is because they are being run like a business where they treat students as ‘customers’.)
(Wait, what!? That's called a private education facility over here in Australia. There completely different.)

Yeah that's how its run over here. There are powerful factions in America clearly opposed to public education.

If I may be so bold as to speak on toady's behalf i think this should sum up my opinion on the matter
JUICY CONTRADICTION

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 11:17:30 pm »

That still doesn't explain the "whiny, bitching liberals" image macro at all.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2011, 11:25:07 pm »

Yeah I think people ought to calm down, just because some random blogger doesn't like how toady does things doesn't mean people need to get upset over whether or not toady is staying true to his artistic vision.

Also please don't assume that if some-one says toady could be doing better or making more progress that they think they could do it better then toady or anyone else could. Normally they just are trying to help toady become more successful by giving advice from their own experiences. 

And I think the people who do try suggest improvements ought to keep in mind that most people here are happy with how things are going and toady seems at least somewhat pleased with it and so most suggestions concerning how toady works can be seen as something which could take away from what that.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2011, 11:25:40 pm »

He's getting caught up in and perpetuating the flame war.  You're a better man than that Capn.  Don't fight an unnecessary war.

And to everyone else, you do realize that if you keep fighting like that, Toady'll just lock the thread...  A few people are failing to notice the difference between debate and fight.  Argue and insult are very different things.  And just because someone calls you out doesn't mean you have to shoot at them.

*Waits to be called a hippie* :P

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2011, 11:27:01 pm »

darn hippies, trying to defuse a perfectly fine situation

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2011, 11:28:07 pm »

I'm just trying to point out his non-contribution to the thread in hopes that he recognizes his mistakes and uses it to improve himself.  Or at the very least apologizes.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2011, 11:32:23 pm »

I have no problem calling out people that are acting irregularly.  I do have a problem with doing so in an aggressive enough manner as to escalate conflict.  I don't like fighting unnecessary battles.  Make it a necessary battle then I'm not responsible for what happens to you.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2011, 11:33:11 pm »

He's getting caught up in and perpetuating the flame war.  You're a better man than that Capn.  Don't fight an unnecessary war.
Sometimes the Capn is the hero we need, and also the hero we deserve.

More on topic: Yeah, in the time I've been on this forum I've realized that Toady stays silent in the midst of riled-up fans because that's honestly the thing to do. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and Toady doesn't need to say anything to the article in question. A little bit of purposeful silence cures a lot of accidental misspeaking.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2011, 11:36:09 pm »

I bet if we can argue about Capn's tone of internet-voice and its appropriateness long enough we can avoid people going back to more inflammatory topics

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2011, 11:37:50 pm »

Yeah, in the time I've been on this forum I've realized that Toady stays silent in the midst of riled-up fans because that's honestly the thing to do.

He simply can't legitimize every person with a blog and an opinion by giving a public response.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2011, 11:49:54 pm »

Any explanation we receive will most likely be insufficient to quench the thirst of our curious minds.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2011, 11:56:32 pm »

I think I have a fairly good conception of what went down.  He meant to post the classic version of the macro (which, amusingly enough, says "Think before you say something stupid"), but he snagged some variant of it, tuned to be anti-liberal, and inline-linked it as fast as possible without looking.  I just want confirmation that an image macro, often a crutch of those who cannot express themselves skillfully, was used in an especially unskillful manner.  And that deducing this out is far more interesting than plumbing the depths of incoherence of the article this thread is about.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2011, 12:05:49 am »

Oh really? I was just mopping it up to his political leaning and being completely incapable of self restraint.

captn's an optimist.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10