Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66]

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 117386 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #975 on: July 31, 2011, 09:38:20 am »

Chrono Trigger is a JRPG, with a rather linear plot.

Anyone else found it hilarious that right after he said linear plot, he explained how the plot wasn't linear? No? Oh well.

It's linear-branching, versus the hyperlinear of Final Fantasy.
Chrono Trigger's plot pretty much the same regardless of which "choices" you make, varying slightly for which party members you have with you (which for a good portion of the game is "all of the ones available because you can't get rid of them").  The only variation is in the ending, which all depends on when and how you defeat the Big Bad.
There's only one choice I know of that's even largely relevant.  And that's whether or not Chrono sacrifices himself for one of the NPCs (I've been told that letting the NPC dies is a valid choice, I never tried it).

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: July 31, 2011, 09:53:58 am »

Chrono Trigger is a JRPG, with a rather linear plot.

Anyone else found it hilarious that right after he said linear plot, he explained how the plot wasn't linear? No? Oh well.

It's linear-branching, versus the hyperlinear of Final Fantasy.
Chrono Trigger's plot pretty much the same regardless of which "choices" you make, varying slightly for which party members you have with you (which for a good portion of the game is "all of the ones available because you can't get rid of them").  The only variation is in the ending, which all depends on when and how you defeat the Big Bad.
There's only one choice I know of that's even largely relevant.  And that's whether or not Chrono sacrifices himself for one of the NPCs (I've been told that letting the NPC dies is a valid choice, I never tried it).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: July 31, 2011, 11:37:23 am »

But the plot of the game is largely unchanged.  Many of those circumstances and variables aren't communicated to the player.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: July 31, 2011, 11:41:27 am »

But the plot of the game is largely unchanged.  Many of those circumstances and variables aren't communicated to the player.

I was merely expanding on the previous post, but if you care to elaborate further, I wouldn't mind.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: July 31, 2011, 11:52:32 am »

I was merely expanding on the previous post, but if you care to elaborate further, I wouldn't mind.

Admittedly I'm basing most of this from what I've read about the game and my limited experience playing the game which was probably 5 years ago.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: July 31, 2011, 12:06:41 pm »

That's not true several things in the game can be done that change things. For example the Ffionas shrine quest, that adds basically a whole new store. Also, the trial has changeable outcomes, there's things like getting a bonus character or fighting that character as a boss, the sun stone which you can do about four things with.
Blargh.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66]