Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Euclideon Graphics Engine  (Read 19456 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Euclideon Graphics Engine
« on: August 01, 2011, 04:59:44 pm »

Err, I think we have a winner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Euclideon Graphics Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:10:47 pm »

Do want.
Seriously, if that tech works on low- to mid-grade machines, I will murder for it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 05:25:50 pm »

If they make any money with this, I hope they spend it on better microphones and some throat lozenges and nasal spray.  Jesus Christ dude, take the mic out of your larynx.

Anyway, cool to see those guys are still in business.  I have to admit, that palm tree blew me away, and the ground and grass moving by each other is pretty astounding.  I think it's a little unfair to keep comparing it to graphics like Just Cause 2, which had extraordinary crappy graphics for its age so it wouldn't choke on how many objects it would put on screen at once, but it's still an obvious change in just how objectively "good" graphics can be made.

Notice however, amidst that barrage of huge numbers, Captain Pipethroat never gets around to saying how fast any of it can render, let alone what happens if you try to add physics to those grains of dirt.  If all you're doing is panning over still terrain, congratulations, you've achieved the production sophistication of Tron.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 05:39:36 pm »

I am not sure of how plausible this is,
but I like this guy's fighting spirit.
Thank you based dwarf.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 05:50:25 pm »

I believe towards the end he mentioned navigating around was 30 frames per second on their machine? But yeah, for some reason I doubt that implements any physics, and that might well not be good enough. And it might also all be lies!

We'll see though, I suppose.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 05:57:17 pm »

I believe towards the end he mentioned navigating around was 30 frames per second on their machine? But yeah, for some reason I doubt that implements any physics, and that might well not be good enough. And it might also all be lies!

We'll see though, I suppose.
He said 20 FPS software.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 06:24:41 pm »

It certainly looks nice, but what sort of computer are they running it on? Does the world have any movement at all? Those trillions of "atoms" can't be easy to run.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 06:33:16 pm »

As a purely graphical engine it could work out. Just needs pretty simple collision boxes and smart use of dynamic elements. A little concerning that just processing graphics without physics on a mystery machine gets a slightly optimistic fps.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 06:40:04 pm »

Highly skeptical, to the point where I'd be willing to call it fake. Most importantly, the voice seems very different from the over-the-top fake aussie sounding voice in the linked video. Secondly, there's a good deal of footage pulled directly out of the original video.

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ATtrImCx4
probably fake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4&feature=channel_video_title

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 06:41:34 pm »

I kept hearing Monty Python bits in my head as I was listening to this guy.

While he's making the 3d FPS pitch in his video, I can see this being applicable in a lot of other kinds of games with far fewer requirements.

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ATtrImCx4
probably fake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4&feature=channel_video_title

They sound the same to me. He's just more pumped in the second video.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 06:44:00 pm »

IF this actually works on an everyday, civilian computer, then I only have one thing to say.

Holy fucking shit.

I do hope it's not fake, since this would quite revolutionize the gaming industry.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 06:53:54 pm »

revolutionize the gaming industry.

I gotta wonder here, how? I mean, whoo pretty pictures. I don't think it will matter that much.

Once you can do this with physics then yeah, but until then I don't get it. Course this might be a step in that direction, but it is not in the end.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 06:56:29 pm »

revolutionize the gaming industry.

I gotta wonder here, how? I mean, whoo pretty pictures. I don't think it will matter that much.

Once you can do this with physics then yeah, but until then I don't get it. Course this might be a step in that direction, but it is not in the end.
Because if their clam is correct, it'd really improve graphics while keeping performance at the same level.

Maybe revolutionize is a strong word, but it'd cetrainly be a big jump.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 06:58:39 pm »

It works on an everyday computer, specially now that we have cuda, which basically puts your graphics card to work.

Here's another voxel engine:
http://atomontage.com/

Once you can do this with physics then yeah, but until then I don't get it.
Voxel engines are basically physics engines. Some very limited, others with full simulation. They're often used for medical and physics simulations.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 07:06:47 pm »

He explains it all in the first video. Apparently it works just like "Find" in Word, or like Google...

I'm sure it's a fair analogy, but the guy does come off as rather agressive. Especially with the crazy-person music in the background. Srsly. I got a headache for listening to them bells and chimes for eight minutes.

This is another video regularly posted in voxel engine- and "UNLIMITAD POWWAH" threads.

Derp: Ninjad.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8