Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Let's Play Bookie: Grab a beer, it's Tournament #2 (ended)  (Read 6635 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Bookie: Grab a beer, it's Tournament #2 (ended)
« on: August 01, 2011, 06:32:40 pm »

If you're wondering why you never saw the topic for the first tournament don't worry, there wasn't one. This is a dwarf-fighting tournament that takes place in my fortress called Daggerdepths, an event that takes place every 4 game years to determine my squad setup for the next 4 years. The first tournament in year 520 was purely practical and for my own enjoyment. 524 has rolled around and this time I thought I'd try turning it into a community topic.

Post 1: Introduction and Rules
Post 2: Dwarf Information

THE SETUP:

Daggerdepths' military (melee section) is comparably small, only 24 dwarves split into 4 weapon types with 6 users of each. 4 separate tournaments will take place to determine who is the best swordsdwarf, axedwarf, hammerdwarf and speardwarf. 6 dwarves per tournament doesn't seem very big but the fights add up quickly when you're doing 4 of them. Believe me...

The tournament is done in a round robin. That is to say each dwarf gets to fight every dwarf at least once and from the results a more structured bracket is formed. Here's an example from the first tournament I did:

Spoiler: Example Tournament (click to show/hide)

Since these are actual dwarves and not just arena mode drones, they need a little motivation to fight. This is where Runesmith comes in, a handy little tool that I use to make the dwarves want to kill each other. This of course would be very bad for the future of my fort, which is why I don't save the game after the matches and I just pretend that the whole thing took place in my fortress continuity as very violent sparring matches. I can be very convincing to myself.

Eventually I plan to build an arena to do this in, but for now my low-security stockpiles that I’m not using will have to do:

Spoiler: Makeshift Arena (click to show/hide)

When posting the results there won’t be any images like this. There’s literally over a hundred battles and that would’ve been far too tiresome.

YOUR ROLE:

This isn't an arena mode-ish topic, there will be no claimed dwarves or dwarves you pick equipment for. You can pretend one of them is your dwarf, but that would be silly. As the topic title suggests this is a bookie thread where you simply bet on dwarves with the 1000☼ that I just gave you right now. You don't have a choice in the matter; you have it. You don't have to pay me back if you don't want to, but just remember how nice I was.

For the greater part of the tournament I'll be posting 4 battles at a time. This whole thing was wrapped-up and written up long before being posted, so I should be able to keep up a good pace with no long periods of absence. Betting rounds will be open no less then 24 hours.

Dwarf Bios with lots of yummy information on each dwarf to base your decision on are on the second post. Stats, kills, history, quirks, lottsa stuff. I've had 23 years to lord over these dwarves and I tend to imagine little storylines and personalities for my own amusement, so there should be lots of pointless stuff if you just want to play around and bet on dwarves because they did something awesome or stupid in their lifetime.

RULES OF BETTING:

-Everyone starts out with 1000☼ and you can join in anytime.
-You can bet as much or as little as you want, provided you have the funds.
-You can bet for AND against a dwarf. So lets say everyone is putting turtles on one dwarf to win, including you. You can bet a single turtle on the other dwarf and win the whole pot if there's an upset. (a little incentive to keep this competitive ;))
-You cannot go back on a bet, but you can add to any existing bets if done before I tell people to stop.
-If you run out of turtles, and half of you probably will, you can have another thousand. BUT, you will miss the next round of betting as punishment for your poor turtle management.
-If you have so few turtles that you'd rather reset back to 1000, you can. However you will be subjected to the 1 betting-round penalty like the bankruptcy rule above.

All dwarves will be using masterful steel equipment, including hammers and shields. All dwarves are also Ultra-Legendary in many combat skills, some vastly more so then others. You’ll have to use your judgement on whether that experience is enough or if other qualities make up for a lack of experience.

No danger rooms were used in the training of these dwarves, everything is from live combat and training in barracks.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:55:15 pm by BloodBeard »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Bookie: Grab a beer, it's Tournament #2
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:32:56 pm »

MEET THE DWARVES:

Swordsdwarves:
Spoiler: Basher (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Deadpool (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Melbil Ringedcarnal (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Nose (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Executioner (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hollywood (click to show/hide)

Axedwarves:
Spoiler: Punisher (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Law-taker (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nerfy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Olin Creatureearths (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nameless (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vabôk Claspscalds (click to show/hide)

Hammerdwarves:
Spoiler: Tyson (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hannibal (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Reg Dustcrafted (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Stud (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magoo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Zero (click to show/hide)

Speardwarves:
Spoiler: Siegebane (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Meng Budplank (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tooth Fairy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Surgeon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spartan (click to show/hide)

Pure Attribute and Kills Ranking:
Spoiler: Attributes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kills (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:12:47 pm by BloodBeard »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 06:33:31 pm »

Lets kick this thing off with the reigning Champions. Remember, everyone starts out with 1000☼, rules for betting are in the 1st post and dwarf information in the 2nd post.

Because this is the first round i'll let it run for a little longer, giving people time to see the topic.

Betting Round 1:

Swordsdwarf Matchup:
Deadpool vs. Melbil Ringedcarnal
Axedwarf Matchup:
Punisher vs. Law-taker
Hammerdwarf Matchup:
Tyson vs. Zero
Speardwarf Matchup:
Spartan vs. Meng Budplank

Spoiler: Round 1 Table (click to show/hide)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 07:55:10 pm »

So, is it a flat payout if you win?  Or are there different odds per match/round?
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:06:20 pm »

The odds are based on the bets made, so if you bet on one dwarf and nobody bets on the other, you get nothing if your dwarf wins. The betting example on the first post should give you an idea. This is more of a competition with those involved then an individual game.

I'll expand the betting example to explain more about what's going on.

2nd edit for the post below: Yep, that's it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:10:58 pm by BloodBeard »

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:09:06 pm »

Ah, I see...one guy bet three times as much as the other, so he got three shares of the "pot" from the losing person.  Makes sense.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 10:12:18 pm »

This seems interesting.
300☼ on Meng Budplank, 200☼ on Tyson.

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 11:18:00 pm »

Existing Balance: 1000☼
Won: 0 bets, 0☼
Lost: 0 bets, 0☼

ROUND 1 BETS:

Swordsdwarf Matchup:
100☼ on Melbil Ringedcarnal over Deadpool.(I like endurance and toughness, as well as younger age, over the obviously more experienced Deadpool for the upset.)
Axedwarf Matchup:
300☼ on Punisher over Law-taker. (He left an enemy as nothing more than a torso. Come on.)
Hammerdwarf Matchup:
100☼ on Zero over Tyson. (Going for pure strength bet here. Let's see how this plays out.)
Speardwarf Matchup:
100☼ on Meng Budplank over Spartan. (I like the great agility on Meng, with spears it ought to be about one good organ shot killing the opponent, hopefully Meng can land one first.)

ROUND 1 TOTAL: 4 bets, 600☼

REMAINING BALANCE: 400☼
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:52:36 pm by Zanziik »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 11:36:06 am »

Colours  :-*

I'll be adding a list of peoples updated financial rankings to the results posts, so you don't have to keep track if you don't want to.

And yay people are reading the ridiculously long bios  :D. The disturbing thing is I already had all the information in them written up (excluding personal bios) long before thinking about doing this  :o.

Speaking of which I just remembered something I forgot to add in. At the bottom of the dwarf bios i'll be adding spoilered lists of only attributes and kills in ranking order so they're more easily comparable.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Bookie: Grab a beer, it's Tournament #2 (1st Round)
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 09:33:43 pm »

I know there's potential for a fun competition here so hopefully more people can get on board with this. Anyways, the 1st round of betting will be ending sometime wednesday.

A quick look at the betting totals:

Swordsdwarf Matchup:
(0☼) Deadpool vs. Melbil Ringedcarnal (100☼)
Axedwarf Matchup:
(300☼) Punisher vs. Law-taker (0☼)
Hammerdwarf Matchup:
(200☼) Tyson vs. Zero (100☼)
Speardwarf Matchup:
(0☼) Spartan vs. Meng Budplank (400☼)

(remember, if you win and there's no bets for the other dwarf your net gain is 0, and if you're the only one who bets on a dwarf, even it's just 1☼ you get everything if they win)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:41:40 pm by BloodBeard »

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 09:40:20 pm »

I bet 200 on Spartan
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 03:20:20 am »

I bet everything on Deadpool. 8) C'mon boy, Daddy needs a new pair of *cave spider silk sock*s...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 08:35:30 am »

I bet everything on Deadpool. 8) C'mon boy, Daddy needs a new pair of *cave spider silk sock*s...

Ohh good, big pot for me to win on that bet now ;)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 09:53:06 am »

250 on each of Deadpool, Tyson, Spartan and Punisher.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 11:00:59 am »

200 on Deadpool, 100 on each of Punisher, Tyson, Spartan.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4