Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Suggestion: Double Jeopardy  (Read 9033 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Double Jeopardy
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 12:49:57 am »

I wouldn't do that, Neonivek. LCS already has some difficulty issues - the early game is difficult because everyone's packing heat and there are more Conservatives, not to mention you having no experienced Liberals. Conversely, the late game is easy because there are less guns and no death penalty, and you tend to have an Elite Liberal army by then...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 04:23:05 am »

And guns.  By the end game, only the LCS has guns.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2011, 04:57:58 am »

And guns.  By the end game, only the LCS has guns.

Not quite, but close. But non-LCS guns will be rare, making random mooks and secretaries way easier.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 02:17:20 pm »

I wouldn't do that, Neonivek. LCS already has some difficulty issues - the early game is difficult because everyone's packing heat and there are more Conservatives, not to mention you having no experienced Liberals. Conversely, the late game is easy because there are less guns and no death penalty, and you tend to have an Elite Liberal army by then...

Then Double Jeapardy just can't be squeezed into the game.

Also personally I think the late game should be tougher somehow (possibly because society is so close to utopian they have the resources to stop you)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011, 02:42:33 pm »

Then Double Jeapardy just can't be squeezed into the game.

Also personally I think the late game should be tougher somehow (possibly because society is so close to utopian they have the resources to stop you)

Yep, and there's been some planning to shift the challenge... I'm personally in favor of making the CCS appear later, because that's a way to move the difficulty without it feeling odd.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2011, 04:23:02 pm »

The difficulty should be a parabola

There needs to be some form of inertia too.

Though that isn't this topic... then again the main topic is pretty much answered "Double Jeapardy cannot be done" so I guess this isn't derailing as you can't derail a train that has already pulled into the station.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2011, 07:46:49 pm »

Oooh!  Ooooh!  Idea!

The US has a double jeopardy technicality that allows for a charge already ruled in a criminal trial to be raised again in a civil trial.  For example in the OJ Simpson trial he was found not guilty in a criminal trial but the plaintiffs then raised a civil trial in which he was forced to pay damages.  Where this could come into play in the LCS is when the justice system becomes liberal enough, people start getting forced into rehabilitation rather then imprisonment.  I don't think it's beyond plausible to imagine that this could be done through a civil court, so long as it's forced rehabilitation rather then prosecution.

The way this plays out is that when a crime is added to your rap sheet it is also added to a second, hidden rap sheet.  Then when society becomes liberal enough, you get summoned to court to face psychiatric evaluation to find out if you are a threat to yourself and others.  This court would probably have some rules a bit different from the other court to gear it towards end game challenge.  But most importantly, if you beat this court, it clears your name but not your secondary rap sheet.  There wont be a warrant for your arrest until you commit new crimes, but every time you are arrested for new crimes, your entire criminal history will weigh against you in the psychiatric hearing.

Furthermore, by entire criminal history, I mean entire criminal history, including the jaywalking and speeding tickets you racked up before the LCS.  Your permanent record from highschool?  It's there.  Even if he keeps his nose completely clean in the LCS, you might get your founder sent to rehabilitation for setting off the fire alarms to skip a algebra test...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 12:03:10 am »

No one in LCS has the kind of money a civil suit could even take away unless we are using the same kinds of magic debt fairies that games such as Arkham Horror use (The bank can take your things no matter where you are. Even if you happen not to be in reality). Heck people who join LCS tend to leave all their old things behind (like bank accounts)

To admit Conservative collection agencies would probably be an interesting concept to delve into.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2011, 01:04:14 am »

I'm not suggesting civil court cases that take your money, I'm suggesting civil court cases that force you into liberal rehabilitation.  Civil courts are capable of ruling someone mentally incapable.  If you had a liberal justice system where they go around forcing criminals into rehab, you could have civil courts judged by trained psychiatrists ruling that people need to go into rehab, not as punishment but for their own good.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2011, 06:37:47 am »

Civil courts are capable of ruling someone mentally incapable

Are they? I thought they couldn't and that was another one of the major differences between a civil and criminal suit.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2011, 12:19:05 pm »

Custody battles and capacity hearings can both be handled in civil courts.  Not in all cases, for instance a capacity hearing for if the death penalty applies is a criminal matter, but a capacity hearing for if someone can be forced into care (which this idea is supposed to resemble) would be a civil matter IIRC.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 09:41:25 pm »

You known what thats a pretty good idea Have a aslyum and have some "crazy" liberals in it would Really be intresting especially if your liberals are called "crazy" by the arch-cons leading to some awesome raids.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2011, 04:19:49 pm »

LCS justice system has another caveat - your crimes vanish the second you're convicted of them. If you escape jail, you only have the prison break charge, which is nothing compared to hundreds and hundreds of murders.

The shoddy filing is but yet another failing of the Conservative Justice System.

Anyway, I like this talk of a medical board deeming my liberals unfit to operate in normal society. The late game really should be harder. Would there be yet another building for this, or would they just get the regular L+ prison, possibly renamed to "Asylym for the Criminally Inclined" or something like that?
Pages: 1 2 [3]