Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF on Mac OSX Lion?  (Read 15821 times)

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
DF on Mac OSX Lion?
« on: August 02, 2011, 07:17:39 pm »

Has anyone tried running Dwarf Fortress on Mac OSX 10.7 (Lion)? If so, how well does it work? I just read that NetHack doesn't work under Lion, and this makes me wonder about other programs as well. I've been considering getting a new Mac, but I have no interest in a computer that can't run my two favorite games.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF on Mac OSX Lion?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 07:58:33 pm »

If the mac version doesn't work you should still be able to run the windows version with an emulator if I'm not mistaken.

I don't use a mac but that seems like a logical assumption.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:05:35 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:43:42 pm »

Yeah, I've been running the Windows version via Wine on OSX 10.4.11 for quite a while. It works, but I've been hoping that when I eventually get a new Mac, I'll be able to run it native.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:53:31 pm »

I just bought a MacBook Air with Lion on it.  I just assumed DF would work - sure hope it does.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  I've been trying to get some game code I developed Linux code to work on Lion and I read that Apple switched a GCC setting starting with Snow Leopard for how GCC handles static strings, which can crash apps that weren't written for it.  (Lovely)  Maybe that's the problem nethack has?

But you can run the Linux version of DF on a "server" PC in text mode and just ssh to it from Mac.  I've done it before from Windows using Cygwin.  Will save your battery life and not make the laptop get toasty from CPU overload.  It depends on your terminal program how good the experience will be, which with the Cygwin terminal is NOT VERY but I found a terminal app that costs $$$ that's better.  I've heard Mac has some good terminal programs - I mean to try iTerm2 for instance.

My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:42:17 pm »

As far as I can tell from email, chances are it won't work on Lion.  This puts me in kind of a spot, since I only have the one Mac Mini and I assume if I put Lion on it, with some work DF will work on Lion but probably won't work on some or all of the older ones.  I'm not sure if I should upgrade then, until more Mac people have moved over to Lion.  Or I'll have to put some money down on an additional Mac, since I don't know how to do any partitiony emulatory stuff on my existing one.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mrjohnsly

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:01:01 pm »

It's extremely easy to create a partition and install a copy of Lion alongside Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Open 'Disk Utility' select a hard drive, go to the partition tab, then press the + button below the partition table and add a new 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' partition.

Boot in to the OS you wish to install then select the partition. :)

I'd recommend having Lion as the main OS then installing Snow Leopard afterwards as you will probably have the disc to hand which will make it easier.

Iriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 10:03:26 pm »

DF currently fails catastrophically on Lion, but it's oddly enough the only application I have found that behaves this way - everything else that worked on Snow Leopard seems happy on Lion as well. It spews a ton off malloc issues about freeing memory that hadn't been allocated and then it dies with a bus error. I do wonder if perhaps this is simply an existing issue finally surfacing in a painful way, or a change in some underlying API.

VirtualBox does supposedly support OSX guest OS'es, but i have no idea how much work it is to make Lion work there.

I'm happy to test run stuff if needed - I have the latest XCode installed and both Snow Leopard and Lion machines.

mrjohnsly

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 10:19:31 pm »

I've read some people are having joy using df_31_12_osx.tar.bz2 but the download is no longer on the site. Is there an archived version someone has uploaded anywhere?

Really interested in trying out Dwarf Fortress but I only read about it after upgrading to Lion. :( Sad times.

Iriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 10:57:07 pm »

Ooh, I have 31.12 installed locally and I can confirm that it does indeed fire up (but the next of my installs, 31.17, does not)

Iriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 11:37:17 pm »

Hey, I think I figured this out!!

The problem is in the df launch script (Installed as 'df')

Change

export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=${PWD}/libs
export DYLD_FALLBACK_FRAMEWORK_PATH=${PWD}/libs

To

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=${PWD}/libs
export DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=${PWD}/libs

vern

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 01:17:40 am »

Change

To

That worked for me. Thanks!

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 08:22:16 am »

Hi,
If you're curious, the reason NetHack doesn't work has to do with the fact it is compiled for a now unsupported kind of CPU, the PowerPC.  Snow Leopard came with a program called Rosetta to emulate that CPU's instructions, but that won't work in Lion.  It's the Nethack OS X packager's who have to compile it for the supported Intel CPUs.  This has been in the wings for some time, and really should have been fixed a long time ago.
Best,
Zack.
P.S. Glad we got DF on Lion to work!

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 08:49:19 am »

Thanks, Iriel, you're an angel.

With that fix, DF works fine for me on Lion in windowed mode but not full screen.  Full screen gives the error

Quote from: Lion
Aug  3 13:06:37 Locals-MacBook-Air.local dwarfort.exe[202] <Warning>: CGDisplayBaseAddress is obsolete and returning NULL for display 0x4273c80

I play windowed anyway, so that isn't a problem.  I have yet to see if trying to play on an 11" MacBook Air will be a problem in terms of FPS, but I shall micro-fort it.

Forteano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 02:00:24 pm »

I've been playing 40d on Lion all week without any trouble at all. If anything it runs a bit better than it did on Snow Leopard.

(For the curious: I'm still playing DF on 40d due to wanting to use Tinypirate's celebrated introduction with the version he wrote it on. I'm still only on my second fortress and keen to get a good grounding before graduating to 0.31.25 - where, I know, I'll have to relearn a lot of stuff.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:02:28 pm by Forteano »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 03:37:41 pm »

Change

To

Bonus points if someone can create a version of the launch script that detects the OS version and chooses the export commands accordingly (for backwards compatibility).
Pages: [1] 2