Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 51936 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:25:57 am »

Case in Point.

tl;dr No mods, You have to be online all the time to play, and you pay real money to get in game items from an auction house.

Further, there is no "skill tree" in Diablo 3. Neither is there stats. you use runes and equip them to skill slots.

Need I say more? Please, boycott Activision-Blizzard. Force them to get rid of high-ranking executives who are causing this, by shutting off their monetary supply. They won't stop until they realize that doing this doesn't make them more money.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:26:48 am »

Indeed, fuck Actishit.

This would probably be a great opportunity for Blizzard to start releasing DLCs. Which I imagine they will.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:28:42 am by Cheese »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:41:45 am »

Anyone remember the outrage about, among others, the lack of LAN support in Starcraft 2? Yeah, I'll give it 10 days before everyone has forgotten about these points and praise the game for it's smooth gameplay or some similar nonsense the proverbial "real gamer" apparently gets hooked at.

Also, using runes instead of a skill tree? They stole that from Sacred! And I liked that system! Guess I'll have to burn that CD as well now that Actishitstorm has tainted the idea...

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 08:48:25 am »

Eh, speak for yourself, i'm still pissed at lack of lan support.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 08:53:40 am »

Blizzard's getting pretty good at alienating the fanbase that they made their empire on.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Wravburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:01:52 am »

Diablo II multiplayer was horribly broken in many ways, I never played it with mods and it was pirated more then there are Bibles in this world. Some people like that, some people don't. It's not that black&white, really.
League of Legends
EU-west: Wash

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 09:02:10 am »

I'm not going to buy it. Not for any ideological reason but simply because I won't be able to play it most of the time.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 09:08:31 am »

The always online DRM kills it for me.

I quite like the auction house thing after thinking about it for a while.  The game could pay for itself over time.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 09:08:44 am »

Yeah, I'm another lost sale for D3. I can't support this kind of stupidity

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 09:33:26 am »

Diablo II multiplayer was horribly broken in many ways
I never noticed.
And i will not purchase D3 either i think, will have to wait until after it's actually released.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 09:38:34 am »

Its not really a competitive game so the buying items for money doesn't bother me.  I certainly won't buy items, but it seems a good a way for blizzard to make money without it affecting my game experience.

The 100% internet uptime thing DOES annoy me a bit, but I can kind of see why they are doing it.  It would be nice if they decided to let people make solo-only characters that didn't require the internet connection and also didn't have access to the auction houses.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 09:56:18 am »

D3 could be ignored by every single person in North America and they'd still make a killing from South Korea.

A boycott won't do anything.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 10:07:28 am »

Evidently, Blizzard is only taking a small cut from the pay to buy auction house. Seems to me that they are legitimizing gold farmers.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 10:11:38 am »

Because god forbid there's one developer who doesn't want you fucking with and one-uping their game with mods as soon as it comes out after all the time they spent on it. Mods are a silly thing to argue about, they're either there or they aren't and you really shouldn't complain which way it goes. Some artists choose to let everyone do whatever with their work, some choose creative commons, some just outright don't allow any tampering, you don't have the right to do the same with every single game.

The always online thing is an issue, but really we'll have to see when it comes out and the time after that to see how long it lasts if it does. Ubisoft only BARELY gets away from it, already having changed their standpoint a few times previously.

Now I will agree I don't really like the idea of removing skill trees, but after reading bashiok's post about the removal, I agree with him, and I understand why they did it. However you seem to be confused about the fact that runes are replacing the skill or something, but that's not right. They're two seperate different entities, the runes just happen to diversify the skills even moreso.

I somewhat agree with the stat removal too. Because you had the 4 stats, and basically almost everyone would follow the cookie cutter, Strength/Dex/Int and then whatever secondary stat you needed just for items, and then dump vitality. That was just silly, and there really is no point in keeping that around if that's all it mostly was.

Boycott won't do anything, and it won't be anywhere near substantial enough. Also, trying to kill a franchise like that to get to kotick in some way, won't work because he'll just move on to a different franchise. You're just killing the games, not him.

I'm definitely buying it, even if the game was a lot worse then everyone is making it out to be. Because in the end, these are minor issues, and the game is still going to be amazing. If you beg to differ, I feel sorry for you, because While you think this game has issues, you really need to be looking elsewhere instead, because most other new games have substantially larger issues.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 10:13:03 am »

I was somewhat interested in Diablo 3 until I learned about the real cash auction house and the lack of modding. Oh well, there's always Torchlight 2!

Of course, a large portion of blizzard's fan base will be getting Diablo 3 in spite of its flaws simply because it was made by blizzard. They've conditioned their fans well. Heck, they could probably demand customers submit a kidney (for identity verification purposes or something) in order to play the game, and many of their fans would reach for a box cutter (of course, there would be lots of posts on forums like gamefaq asking what a kidney looks like!  :P ).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43