Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 51934 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 10:20:45 am »

Because god forbid there's one developer who doesn't want you fucking with and one-uping their game with mods as soon as it comes out after all the time they spent on it.
If modders can 'one-up' their game with a mod as soon as it comes out, the game must not have been all that good.

MrStyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 10:31:19 am »

I, shamefully, will buy this game and play it online with my friends for hours at a time. 

I won't tell anybody though.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 10:38:14 am »

Because god forbid there's one developer who doesn't want you fucking with and one-uping their game with mods as soon as it comes out after all the time they spent on it.
If modders can 'one-up' their game with a mod as soon as it comes out, the game must not have been all that good.

Not so much the game altogether, I didn't mean it like that. As soon as it came out is an exaggeration as well.

But you know what I mean, or at least I hope you do.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 10:43:46 am »

That'd be a stronger point to make if the developer in question wasn't Blizzard, for whom two of their most influential games (SC, WC3) were very much heavily invested in by their respective mod communities. Mods and user created content in general have played a pretty big part of Blizz's past, and to see them turn on that history... y'gotta' admit, it's kinda' disheartening. The kind of disheartening that directly translates into not playing the game, really.

I've neither bought nor played a blizzard game since WC3, though. My sort of opinion probably doesn't matter to 'em anymore.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 10:44:14 am »

I think I would sell stuff for monies.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 10:48:07 am »

I was on the fence, but now I'm definitely going to buy D3, if for no other reason than a protest of the ridiculous whining it has caused.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 10:48:41 am »

OP, I will not buy the game, most likely, true.

But that has nothing, nothing to do with the, honestly now, infantile things you say.

Mods weren't supported by D2 originally, they had to be reverse-engineered. They will be again.

Always online is done for two reasons - piracy (with which I disagree completely) and better control over the real-money AH and the items traded there.

You don't pay real money. You CAN pay real money. Difference. And hardcore doesn't have real money trade. This is, in fact, the most controversial and in my opinion WRONG thing Blizzard have done with Diablo 3, but it's not inherently bad. It could end up badly, I agree, but I can't say for now.

No skill-tree is the best change in Action RPGs since forever, since I hate having to respec every few minutes just to try out an interesting skill/talent/perk/what have you.

And check my post in the other, more interesting thread for a short beta hands-on by PC gamer.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 10:50:30 am »

the game is still going to be amazing
Oh the power of fanaticism, how many souls hast thee claimed?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 10:55:42 am »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 11:03:12 am »

Always online is done for two reasons - piracy (with which I disagree completely) and better control over the real-money AH and the items traded there.

This reminded me of a pretty interesting writeup on bnet. The whole read is kinda' interesting, but the stuff on piracy starts here. A lot of text for the tl;dr folks, so a simple find for pira gets to the good parts. The tl;dr version is that there's an at least somewhat compelling argument that piracy is less what's actually being fought over and more the excuse for something else entirely. Control might be a much more accurate word for what stuff like D3's online-only stuff is trying to do. Makes a fairly disturbing amount of sense, heh, regardless if it's actually what's going on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 11:03:12 am »

You don't pay real money. You CAN pay real money
If you can buy power, the hardcore will be crushed (at first) by the wealthy. it'll eventually even out, but until then money=winning.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 11:06:37 am »

Not so much the game altogether, I didn't mean it like that. As soon as it came out is an exaggeration as well.

But you know what I mean, or at least I hope you do.
I really don't know what you mean. The modding community does no harm to a game, and in almost every case helps to extend the game's scope and lifecycle. Look at minecraft as an example. It is a popular game, but I would be willing to bet that a significant portion of the people who play it include one or more mods to make it more interesting or to add features not in the vanilla game. This does no harm to Minecraft and leads to increased sales and a longer life for the game.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 11:07:42 am »

You don't pay real money. You CAN pay real money
If you can buy power, the hardcore will be crushed (at first) by the wealthy. it'll eventually even out, but until then money=winning.

How can you be winning in a game like diablo?  Isn't it primarily a PVE sorta deal?

I personally couldn't care less if some guy bought the biggest sword in the game for a bunch of money.  It doesn't hurt my gameplay at all.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 11:07:53 am »

if there is no skill and tree and no stats, is it still an action RPG or is it just an action game? Is it an RPG because....why is it an RPG again?
I got nothing

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 11:55:30 am »

Because you are playing a role x] Hur hur. There are stats, only they work like in WoW - you get them on items. The lack of skills is, again, a very positive thing, because watching my THUNDEROUS FISTSMASH OF THE NORTHERN GODS go from 10 000 dmg per hit to 10 005 dmg per hit is not my favourite part in an action RPG.

You can't really buy power, because diablo 3's pvp balance is stated to be really, really low in the dev's priorities. It is a PVE experience, buying power is for those that lack the time to grind out an item for 2 weeks. If you (like me) only play for the item acquisition, nothing is forcing you to spend money. Actually the combat system may be good enough to stand on its own aside from the items, but as long as it's not "Bloodline:Champions the PVE" it is extremely unlikely. For those who have no idea - dynamic aiming with the mouse, keyboard movement. Works like a charm.

And I don't know if by "hardcore" you mean actual hardcore mode, in which you CAN NOT use the real-money AH, or "those with a lot of time to play" in which case I don't care about them. Also, see the above paragraph.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43