Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 51937 times)

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 11:58:30 am »

Because god forbid there's one developer who doesn't want you fucking with and one-uping their game with mods as soon as it comes out after all the time they spent on it.
If modders can 'one-up' their game with a mod as soon as it comes out, the game must not have been all that good.

Not so much the game altogether, I didn't mean it like that. As soon as it came out is an exaggeration as well.

But you know what I mean, or at least I hope you do.

I still fail to see why this a problem for the developer. It doesn't hurt them any. People using mods have obviously already purchased their product. All it does is extend the life cycle of their product, and that is a good thing for them.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 12:00:09 pm »

The idea I'm getting is that skill trees are getting removed in favor of something somewhat simmilar to Diablo 1. I don't dislike this per se, but the always online thing is enough to discourage me utterly to buy it. I think I am a good blizzard customer. I have three of their games, (Starcraft, Diablo II, Warcraft 3) all of them original copies. It seems this is as far as it goes, though :/
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 12:02:10 pm »

(Quick note: Not buying the game, and didn't buy SC2 either).

As far as ideas go, the idea itself is sound: making an in-game sanctioned RMT auction house to earn a bit more cash as well as provide a safe(r) way for people that want to trade items for cash because they will anyway.  Also, I think Everquest does this already.

The act itself though does turn the game from a single player (with focus/potential MP) romp to an always online: "may as well call it an MMORPG" (and of course, means many people can't play it now at all), and your machine is just an 'instance'.  A delicious, hackable instance.

Which bring me to the real issue: with all the scams in WoW and the 'blizzard wallet' thingy whats likely to happen is 'hacking / derp farming' for cash by scammers, and of course ways to hack the game for items to sell for cash that get past blizzard protection.

Imo, taking a 'pure experience' game and turning it into 'bs marketing wholesale (with more scammers!)' instead of having a minor amount of that stuff happen to the side.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 12:16:50 pm »

You don't pay real money. You CAN pay real money
If you can buy power, the hardcore will be crushed (at first) by the wealthy. it'll eventually even out, but until then money=winning.

How can you be winning in a game like diablo?  Isn't it primarily a PVE sorta deal?

I personally couldn't care less if some guy bought the biggest sword in the game for a bunch of money.  It doesn't hurt my gameplay at all.
I could win if I am the one selling those swords for a bunch of money.  >.>
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

echonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 12:21:44 pm »

As an alternative to insanity, we could just chill out and when the game is available make judgement then.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 12:21:59 pm »

Big question:

Will blizzard pay you monies?

Or the money remains in the system forever?

I haven't read any articles on it, but I'm willing to bet not only you cannot take your money out of the system, but there's also taxes for using the auction house.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 12:23:46 pm »

Oh the power of fanaticism, how many souls hast thee claimed?

I actually despise most of what is blizzard, so don't go pulling how I'm a fanboy or any of that. I feel like they are a bunch of uncreative dolts for the most part, maybe less so today, but I feel they can properly eat themselves for ripping off the warhammer universes. However Diablo was much nicer.

I really don't know what you mean. The modding community does no harm to a game, and in almost every case helps to extend the game's scope and lifecycle. Look at minecraft as an example. It is a popular game, but I would be willing to bet that a significant portion of the people who play it include one or more mods to make it more interesting or to add features not in the vanilla game. This does no harm to Minecraft and leads to increased sales and a longer life for the game.

Well first you need to realize the part about how this is a heavily concentrated online game, and that there is competition in ways, online in this game. PvP may be not the biggest part, but it is there. Now this eliminates the possibility of using a good number of mods due to inconsistencies between users and so forth. The way it seems the the system is set up, you're always on THEIR system. So there's no, running your own unofficial private server or so forth for which you could have these mods going and what not. I think they all run through the official system of theirs. Maybe I have that wrong but it looks like a mess to handle basically.

Sure it technically doesn't harm a game, but to the developers I guess you could easily take it from a darker stance. You spend this time developing a game and whatnot and then you have hundreds of script kiddies bouncing all over the place doing everything you just did, better, or a bunch of people taking your work and twisting it into their own version and will. It just seems silly. I don't know why its wrong for some artists to want their stuff to not be tampered with, while others are fine with it. I understand the importance of mods and I know a lot of great mods do exist, and support modding. But I also support the stance that just some games don't need it as much, or shouldn't even really have it.

I agree it adds life, and more sales but it just seems like a much less significant point for diablo 3, considering diablo 2 has lived this long, with a lot of people still playing vanilla. I'm sure it might last even longer with the whole new way pvp acts and such, might even get competitive.

if there is no skill and tree and no stats, is it still an action RPG or is it just an action game? Is it an RPG because....why is it an RPG again?

There are skills and levels and stats, just not stats like in Diablo 2, and not skilltrees. It's still easily an RPG.

As an alternative to insanity, we could just chill out and when the game is available make judgement then.

Exactly.

Wravburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 12:31:09 pm »

So,

it's not ok to buy it because it's Blizzard, but it is ok not to buy it because it is Blizzard.

In any case, I will not let the internet decide what I think. Critical thinking goes a long way, and can go both ways. Liking the game, or disliking the game has mostly to do with preferences. And I will personally smack you with trout if you don't accept other people's preferences.
League of Legends
EU-west: Wash

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 12:43:28 pm »

I don't so much mind about all the other things, but the real money auction house is really silly. If I pay £40 for a new release AAA title then I don't expect it to have a cheap underhanded Korean F2P MMO marketing scheme.

It doesn't really matter if you can also pay with ingame money. It's more the principle. If I pay £40 of my hard earned cash and don't get access to all the content without paying for extra, then well, that's a bit silly.

If it's optional extras, or aesthetics-only, then I might understand, but a core part of the game introducing a method that requires people to pay real money?

Wravburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 12:48:45 pm »

I understood it as being ingame drops. With the difference being that Blizzard takes the cut instead of E-bay.
League of Legends
EU-west: Wash

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 01:11:58 pm »

Big question:

Will blizzard pay you monies?

Or the money remains in the system forever?

I haven't read any articles on it, but I'm willing to bet not only you cannot take your money out of the system, but there's also taxes for using the auction house.

Its my understanding that one can withdraw the money one makes on the AH from one's battlenet account (for a fee) and credit one's online banking account. And yes, one's AH income would be something taxable.

Blizz will be charging folks three times for use of the real cash AH; there will be a listing fee on all postings (with a few free postings per week), blizz will then take a cut on successful auctions, and lastly blizz will charge a fee for withdrawing one's earnings from battlenet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 01:32:06 pm »

So... you can earn real cash by playing the game using this system? Somehow it seems bizarre.

Chinese gold farmers will rejoice though, I guess.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 01:45:27 pm »

So... you can earn real cash by playing the game using this system? Somehow it seems bizarre.

Chinese gold farmers will rejoice though, I guess.

Probably pretty good for them, as the individuals can distance themselves from gold selling organizations a bit and pocket the money themselves.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 02:02:52 pm »

I don't understand the whole "brainwashed Blizzard fans" thing. I'm not excited for it because it's Blizzard, I'm excited for it because it's a new Diablo.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 02:05:05 pm »

I imagine someone will figure out a duplication glitch and completely fuck over the game's economy in a few weeks.  I still think it looks like a fun game.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43