Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 225975 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Dota 2
« on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:16 am »

Dota 2 is the Valve produced seqeal to the highly popular Warcraft 3 FT mod DotA. It's F2P (Free to play) so what's stopping you from downloading it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/570/

http://www.dota2.com/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:17:42 pm by Nilocy »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:51:56 am »

I wanted to learn how to play the original DotA back in Warcraft 3 days but the community was so fucked up it was pretty much impossible to get into the game without somehow knowing how to play beforehand.
Shoes...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:56:27 am »

This is true. I remember trying to download it within Warcraft. You would not see so many people freak out from that. Why? It's just a game! I never understood it.

And then there was no way to learn it otherwise. If you were new in a game, better believe someone left 5 seconds in.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 10:57:16 am »

With all due respect Nilocy, what the hell kind of OP is that?  :P

Though I guess there hasn't been much information on the game anyway. Just that it will be like Dota 1, on Source engine and will have denying and other counter-intuitive mechanics original Dota players think are essential. And then there's the itty bitty 1.6 million dollar tournament.

I really want this game to be better than LoL, as I know Valve would handle their customers way better. Though it seems like they are out to make pretty much an updated copy of Dota, which in my mind is a step backwards. I still have my hopes Valve will have at least some innovation going on and that they will make the action more legible than it is in Dota 1 or HoN.

I'll reserve my judgement 'til the tournament streams come up.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 10:58:27 am »

With all due respect Nilocy, what the hell kind of OP is that?  :P
$1million dollarhs.

Gimhalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 04:27:27 pm »

DotA/HoN have terrible communities, I'll admit that, but it's because if one bad person is on your team you've already lost, it's calculated and they're trying to troll you out to keep you from playing. Everyone goes through that hazing. If any other online game had that quality it'd be the same way. I'm not trying to vindicate the behavior, just explain it. LoL players see the same thing. Bad people get trolled all the time, and the game is so much more casual.

I'm actually growing more fond of DotA/HoN over League (excluding the community) because it has a much higher skill ceiling. Everything is harder and more offensive based. It's easier to gank/get ganked because towers don't do as much damage. Map awareness is harder because the LoS to screen size ratio is smaller. Laning is more intense because of denies (if you zone someone out and deny you can easily outlevel them) and last hitting is harder. There are also smaller health pools which make fights more intense. Item Builds are more interesting because you're not just stacking stats, there's very interesting abilities. Also, no GODDAMN FLASH. I think a lot of the elements make it harder to access and a lot less casual, but it's a highly competitive game. You just have to take the trolling for what it is and use /ignore.

Another point of contention is the poor balance and metagame in League compared to DotA. In League, every hero has a really strict role. There's actually very few differences in the heroes compared to DotA. Take Ryze, Annie, and Brand for instance. Ryze has 2 nukes and a snare, with an ult that does AOE. Annie has 2 AOE nukes, a single target nuke, a shield, and the ability to stun (and Tibbers). Brand has 2 AOES, one bouncy ult thing, and a skillshotted stun. Look at the similarites between Xin/Jarvan/other tanky DPS. They are very similar. They have their own flavor to keep them interesting but once the metagame reaches an equilibrium there's going to be clear imbalances because they're so perscriptive and one is going to be a clear choice (TF bans anyone?). There's a HoN character (she might be in DotA) that revolves around the use of trees. It can latch onto trees then either pull herself too them doing damage to enemies in the way, or pull the tree towards her. Or take Earthhoof or whatever his name is from DotA that has the ability to make a fissure in the ground that stops movement and makes a stun. There's so much more of a dynamic in individual heroes that makes for a more interesting metagame.

Personally I can't wait for DotA 2, and I know a lot of friends that are the same way. I've played a decent amount of LoL and I like it, but there's definitely a crowd DotA appeals to.

Also, amazing OP. I loled. It really sums up my opinions on Valve after the freemium TF2/cash shop in portal 2. I can't wait to collect hats in Dota2 (no).

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:35:06 pm »

Also, amazing OP. I loled. It really sums up my opinions on Valve after the freemium TF2/cash shop in portal 2. I can't wait to collect hats in Dota2 (no).

Its depressing to think this sort of thing will probably be in most of Valves games from now on.  I hope they can at least resist putting it into Episode 3.   :-\
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:38:23 pm »

Its depressing to think this sort of thing will probably be in most of Valves games from now on.  I hope they can at least resist putting it into Episode 3.   :-\

Oh no, not the wholesale of aesthetic items.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 04:41:33 pm »

I could barely even learn DotA playing on a LAN with friends. We get started and they immediately just put the boots to us medium style, and before we know it they're leveled way above us and were essentially toying with us at that point.

Only when they could safely destroy me with one or two abilities did they even bother trying to tell me or others anything, by which time it was useless information anyways.

Something about those games breeds the inner dick.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 04:42:30 pm »

Something about those games breeds the inner dick.

Extremely competitive games. Nothing makes me angrier or love making people more angry than MOBA games.

Gimhalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 04:44:10 pm »

Honestly it doesn't bother me that much if it's just cosmetic. A lot of people thought hats ruined the aesthetic of TF2 but what really irritated me is that you could pay to unlock weapons. Valve has to compete with companies like EA, Actiblizzshit, etc that use cheap tactics to extort money and as long as Valve's competing in a way that doesn't ruin my gameplay experience I won't whine too much. I just hope that when DotA comes out there's an option to just pay for the game and get all the heroes and not do this LoL unlock bullshit.

But here's how I see it (I believe this is factually correct but feel free to correct me, I'm not completely sure):

Team mods Half Life, makes a mod called Counter Strike, Valve hires them to make a stand-alone game that attracts a huge following and defines the FPS genre.

Team mods Half Life, makes a mod called Team Fortress, Valve hires them to make a stand-alone game that revolutionizes the FPS genre.

Team makes Narbacular Drop, Valve Hires them to make a game (Portal) that is called GotY by many, many people.

Guy almost single handedly makes DotA, gains huge popularity and spawns its own sub-genre of games. Valve hires him to make a new game that will define the moba genre.

I also know a few DotA players that say Icefrog is probably one of the best game devs out there in terms of balancing and good hero ideas. The fact that he, as the creator of the genre is making the game, makes me happy.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 04:44:19 pm »

I don't much like DotA at all, infact you could say I despise it.

What I'm really interested in is how Valve handles this. This is their only venture outside of FPS so it makes me wonder what kind of mistakes they'll make.
It will also be good to see if Valve does anything else with ingame stores. After the "direction" TF2 went and the failure of POrtal 2's store, it makes me wonder where they'll take ingame stores from here (hopefully to the bin).

By the way this post wasn't made to insult anyone that plays DotA. I just wanted to state that I don't like it, a disclaimer if you will for some of my bias views on the subject.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 04:47:51 pm »

Oh yeah, those items you can just find by playing, crafting, or trading!

How dare they try to sell them!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 04:48:26 pm »

After the "direction" TF2 went and the failure of POrtal 2's store, it makes me wonder where they'll take ingame stores from here (hopefully to the bin).

TF2's store is still doing pretty good isn't it? This seems like exactly the kind of game Valve would pick up to get another TF2-esqe stream of revenue. I think DotA lends itself better to a store than either TF2 or Portal as well.

DotA 2 really has me wondering, most of all though, what all this mid-grade gaming is paying the bills for. The next episode of Half-life, finally? A Valve MMO?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Gimhalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 04:54:16 pm »

After the "direction" TF2 went and the failure of POrtal 2's store, it makes me wonder where they'll take ingame stores from here (hopefully to the bin).

TF2's store is still doing pretty good isn't it? This seems like exactly the kind of game Valve would pick up to get another TF2-esqe stream of revenue. I think DotA lends itself better to a store than either TF2 or Portal as well.

DotA 2 really has me wondering, most of all though, what all this mid-grade gaming is paying the bills for. The next episode of Half-life, finally? A Valve MMO?

Yeah, the thing that worries me is that they'll make it so that you have to unlock heroes, like in LoL.

It doesn't matter if you're casual with the game, but if you're playing serious games, team comp matters a lot and not having X hero to pick from the pool can really hurt your chances of winning. It doesn't even matter if you plan on playing the hero you pick. In LoL for instance, say TF isn't banned and you're first pick and your team NEEDS that carry in their comp. Your teammate wants you to take him and switch with you. You can't because he's 6300 IP and locked. The guy on the other team spent $120 unlocking all the good heroes and gets the pick.

I don't really care how minor it is. Gaining an in-game advantage for money just irritates me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 246