Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: best abandonware games  (Read 6316 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: best abandonware games
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 09:22:35 am »

I agree about Covert Action , and excellent old game with lot of replayability and still fun though i think the same the car stalking could have been made a bit better, and more relevant to your investigation as you don't even need to do it, the other choices will lead into the same discoveries anyways.

Hidden Agenda is another old jewel full of replayability and character, the only annoyance i had with it was when you took a decision, then you were interrupted by someone completely opposite to it and you had no other choice than to agree with him and so reject your original decision.
Sure you're not supposed to be a tyrant but a benevolent president following up a revolution that got rid of a dictator, but those nasty interrupt closed some doors on what you could do.

To add on the oldies list i enjoy and made here and there some other oldies i still play on my dosbox :

Sword of the Samurai, on the same concept as Covert Action (in term of the game made of mini-games) , very replayable , the weak point of it is the sword duelling, not that it's hard as once you get how it works it's easy, but that really could have been much better in gameplay than what it was. Though it's still better than the duelling in Pirates! but i don't think there's worse anyways than the sword fight in Pirates!

World of Xeen , combining Might&Magic 4 and 5 into a giant game , it's really good . The gameplay is still the same classic one as the M&M serie that came before it, create a party of various kind of adventurer and explore the world turn based, get into dungeons , find items, level up etc...  You can get it on GoG nowadays.

Ironseed , a space exploration game i recently discovered (and that is freeware, bay12 thread here, be sure to get the patch on the main website) , really need to read the manual to get some of the concept, but it's very interesting.

While adding links to mobygames entries, i can't help but find the new redesign really awfull, screenshots that takes time to load through some javascript , colors that strain the eyes, ... i wonder who they hired to make a redesign that bad and break what didn't needed repairs
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:25:48 am by Robsoie »

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 10:17:39 am »

didn't mean to start a legal debate, just wanted to discuss old games

Ultima 4 is up for up for free on GOG.com.

I just bought Wizardry 8 off of GOG for $10. No idea who owns the rights to it. Its a fun game
Wasteland is up and in dosbox on some abandonware sites.

As far as Daggerfall goes, I remember getting a new computer in 1996 and the first game I played was Daggerfall. This game actually has a larger world than Skyrim. The world between cities is procedurally generated and you needed to fast travel because the world was so big. (now it was empty big, but still big). They wanted to make it feel like the size of the real world. The big downfall to daggerfall is the really bad automapper. you spend alot of time going up and down and the automapper made it very confusing to figure out where you were.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 10:42:12 am »

This game actually has a larger world than Skyrim.
That it does.16 sq. miles in Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, compared to 62k sq. miles in Daggerfall is nuts.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 10:54:58 am »

It was a pity that with such giant scale, the terrain generated was too boring for exploration, without really any kind of things to see, making it so that you quickly just used fast travel between cities/dungeons/temples/special without even trying anymore to walk on the world.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 11:51:27 am »

Yeah it's bigger, but not better, if you catch the drift. Yes there is far more land, towns, villages, etc. But none of it is interesting.Morrowind, and Skyrim (Oblivion to a lesser extent IMHO) are fun to explore because so much of it is amazing and beautiful (In a landscape way, not necessarily graphics). While Daggerfall had the problem all generated landmasses do. It was too samey. Just like DF adventure, one village is the same as any other.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 12:20:23 pm »

As far as I know, System Shock 1 isn't sold anywhere.  It's a lot of fun if you can get past the controls.

Does anyone know of any ports or remakes?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:25:16 pm by Bouchart »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 12:25:58 pm »

There is also what I'll dub trapware - old old games that are still being sold by the original company, most notably Wolfenstein 3D.
I'd like to know the etymology of that word (trapware). i.e. why "trap"?

Because, since it's still being sold and the company who made it still is functioning, downloading it is unquestionably pirating and the company may actually care to sue you if they think they will get enough cash from you to make it worthwhile.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 01:49:18 pm »

There is also what I'll dub trapware - old old games that are still being sold by the original company, most notably Wolfenstein 3D.

Because, since it's still being sold and the company who made it still is functioning, downloading it is unquestionably pirating and the company may actually care to sue you if they think they will get enough cash from you to make it worthwhile.

I think the issue is that you didn't make it clear that trapware is accessible from another source which is not the original company. The way you put it out makes it just sound like an old company still selling an old product and for some reason "it's a traaap!" , of course trapware really isn't a thing, it's just pirating.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 01:51:49 pm »

I think the issue is that you didn't make it clear that trapware is accessible from another source which is not the original company. The way you put it out makes it just sound like an old company still selling an old product and for some reason "it's a traaap!" , of course trapware really isn't a thing, it's just pirating.

Sure, that was basically journalizing it up with a neologism. A thing that seems old enough so that the original creators don't give a shit about that turns out to have a shit given about it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 02:23:23 pm »

Definitely not abandonware, but made available for free by the Evil Empire and PRETTY decent games:  MechCommander Gold (MechCommander + the Desperate Measures expansion) & MechCommander 2.

Really at this point, you should just look up at the pinned "Free Games" thread.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:27:04 pm by gimlet »

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 02:45:06 pm »

No mention of Star Control II?  The original devs released its source code and Ur-Quan Masters was created.

The newish fanmade HD Remake of it is pretty cool too.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 02:51:30 pm »

No mention of Star Control II?  The original devs released its source code and Ur-Quan Masters was created.

The newish fanmade HD Remake of it is pretty cool too.
Random tangent, you know Toys for Bob made the old Star Control 1 & 2 games... I was pretty surprised to see they're still around, apparently they made Skylanders.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 2 [3]