Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 225989 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 07:29:46 pm »

Yeah, I know you can unlock zeroes heroes with in game money. I've watched people playing it a few times on stream and tubes.

Spending money is always the easiest way to advance unlock things in these games.

and it provides no advantage whatsoever. There's rarely an advantage to getting characters before other people, you should be good with all of them.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 07:36:08 pm »

Depends on your rate of play, mate.

Slowness is the most boring thing in any given game.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 07:53:30 pm »

DotA was really fun back in the day, some of my best LAN moments came from DotA games.

I've never been able to duplicate that feel watching LoL, or even trying out DotA again in the years past. I don't know if you could chalk it up to nostalgia. The game idea itself is pretty fun, even if it isn't the best of that gametype out there.

Maybe I'll launch up a few DotA games for old time's sake, just to prepare for DotA2. I have heard that the overall game mechanics are staying the same, just tweaked balance.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 02:50:36 am »

Yeah, the thing that worries me is that they'll make it so that you have to unlock heroes, like in LoL.

It doesn't matter if you're casual with the game, but if you're playing serious games, team comp matters a lot and not having X hero to pick from the pool can really hurt your chances of winning. It doesn't even matter if you plan on playing the hero you pick. In LoL for instance, say TF isn't banned and you're first pick and your team NEEDS that carry in their comp. Your teammate wants you to take him and switch with you. You can't because he's 6300 IP and locked. The guy on the other team spent $120 unlocking all the good heroes and gets the pick.

I don't really care how minor it is. Gaining an in-game advantage for money just irritates me.
I for one would have played LoL and TF2 so much less if there was nothing to work towards. I don't want a static board game setup where everyone starts and stays the same, it's way more interesting when everyone has different pieces to play with. It makes you excited of gathering enough items/IP to get the thing you want and it's cooler to see the more expensive things in-game.

Also, I think the people that buy everything with money are generally worse players and there's nothing better than beating people with advantages fair and square (Hackers in TF2, anyone?).

Complaining about people having more champions reeks of the HoN playerbase. They are making a huge deal of there being Early Access to the newest champion in the in-game store, despite promises of there never being gameplay advantages to be bought. I can see how one could argue that having 85 champs compared to 84 is an advantage, but I think it's ridiculous. With that many champions there's no way there's a situation where only this particular new champion suits the team. They just want all the sparkly toys RIGHT NOW and that actually makes the experience less exciting.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 03:05:04 am »

With the ten free champs every week you can basically fill any of the generalized roles on the team without spending money. One of the best characters in the game is about 3 wins of IP.

I personally think that a system that lets you play the game instead of spend money is great. I've spent 0$ on LoL, when I would have spent 20$ on (old) HoN
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 03:16:24 am »

With the ten free champs every week you can basically fill any of the generalized roles on the team without spending money. One of the best characters in the game is about 3 wins of IP.

I personally think that a system that lets you play the game instead of spend money is great. I've spent 0$ on LoL, when I would have spent 20$ on (old) HoN
Yeah LoL is pretty balanced there, if you dedicate your time you barely have any difference from those who paid to get IP, and you NEED to dedicate that time if you want to play good.

Sadly many people just say "omg I can be defeated by someone who paid money" and don't look at actual game mechanics and statistics.

P.S. After the Allods Online, a fairly new russian MMO which is free, I look at games like LoL with awe. Because in Allods you do not need to spend any money, but at max level a person with bought "runes" and other stuff is so much better than a player of the same level that he can kill 2-3 people at once. And they say that you can get the stuff for that "through drop", but the fact is that it would take your lifetime. And there are people who spend 10000$+ just to get more bonuses. Crazy people :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Wravburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 07:32:37 am »

Yeah LoL is pretty balanced there, if you dedicate your time you barely have any difference from those who paid to get IP, and you NEED to dedicate that time if you want to play good.

Sadly many people just say "omg I can be defeated by someone who paid money" and don't look at actual game mechanics and statistics.

P.S. After the Allods Online, a fairly new russian MMO which is free, I look at games like LoL with awe. Because in Allods you do not need to spend any money, but at max level a person with bought "runes" and other stuff is so much better than a player of the same level that he can kill 2-3 people at once. And they say that you can get the stuff for that "through drop", but the fact is that it would take your lifetime. And there are people who spend 10000$+ just to get more bonuses. Crazy people :D.

LoL is pretty much the example for Free2Play done right, in my eyes at least. There's a rotation of free champions, after a couple of games you can starting buying your own. If you are at a level of play where it might actually matter which champ you pick, you should have gathered enough to pick from a few champs. The stuff only money can buy is purely cosmetic, but 'valuable' enough that people actually will buy it.

It's a game still being developed for, with heaps of servers and other things around it. You can't seriously expect it to be free, it has to be paid for. But it is NEVER pay2win.

In the view of the recent HoN debacle, with it following LoLīs model, I do wonder what Valveīs economic model will be.
League of Legends
EU-west: Wash

Gimhalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 08:31:16 am »

There is one big difference everyone is missing between DOTA and LoL/HoN/DOTA2. Player rankings. People would get mad because there was no way to know anything about the people playing with you, unless it was at a LAN. Obviously player ranking systems don't completely eliminate this, but they help.

As a general rule, people who play ranked games in League are more competitive. They want a serious experience and they are going to play someone they know. They are going to be placed with and against people of their realitive skill level. Obviously not a perfect system, but it works far better than the "olden days" system of "random group of people 1 fight random group of people 2".

Hopefully DOTA 2 will have a similar (but better) system.

Actually DotA has an ELO system now, along with a lot of private leagues. There is a bot that keeps track of it and you can play rated games with people your skill level.

Granted this is pretty recent relative to how long it's been around, but still...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 08:57:54 am »

Yeah LoL is pretty balanced there.

Oh no, I know LoL is pretty balanced and they do have a nice system. It's certainly not the worse example of microtransactions there is.

I joke about LoL because, in the example I was given, 3 wins for me seem so long and tedious I would have deleted the game after playing once. It's not that I don't have patience, I mean, look at the other games I play. I just really dislike the style of gameplay these arena games have. Which is why I said I should stop posting on these threads, I will not be able to stop sounding like a douche in them.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 11:27:57 am »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 12:49:38 pm »

Which of those is HoN? I see LoL, DotA, guessing one is HoN, the other is... DotA 2?

And is it just me or does LoL seem like a downgrade in graphics from WC3? I know, its probably just the style that I dont like, but it really seems quite awful. The game itself is decent, though I still prefer DotA over it.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 01:03:01 pm »

Which of those is HoN? I see LoL, DotA, guessing one is HoN, the other is... DotA 2.

I'm assuming the upper-right is HoN since Maliken is a character from Savage.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 01:06:33 pm »

From left to right, top to bottom, its DOTA, HON, LOL, DOTA 2.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 01:09:49 pm »

And is it just me or does LoL seem like a downgrade in graphics from WC3? I know, its probably just the style that I dont like, but it really seems quite awful. The game itself is decent, though I still prefer DotA over it.

To me LoL looks way better than WC3. So I think it's just you.

I'm pretty sure the LoL map (Summoner's Rift) is the same as it was like two years ago, with no graphical upgrades since then. They're eventually going to upgrade the map like they've been slowly upgrading the models for their older characters, but that takes a while and their map teams have been busy with an entirely new map recently.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2011, 05:24:12 pm »

Kael tells me (and the DFC) that the Dota 2 beta-signups are now open.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 246