Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 227449 times)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #450 on: June 02, 2012, 07:46:22 pm »

There are a couple big problems with that technique and the whole technique in general.  It might work, but it's likely that the unit won't move to where it needs to go to block.  If they aren't essentially equidistant, it probably won't work.  If the hero isn't basically at a standstill, you're going to need to be blocking his movement too so that the creeps can get that far ahead of him.  If he jukes out, you're then having to block him and re-assign your units to move past him again.  There isn't a low-micro way to do it, imo.

The main reason it probably won't work in dota 2 is because wc3 had honking gigantic cylinders for blocking and collision.  As you can see in that clip, there are a couple times where there is a ton of room in between units and the block still works.  I doubt that'll work in the much, much, much better coding environment in source.

A little experimentation shows that even a hero with 290 ms can outrun treants with no ms buffs on them.  Well, they actually can't outrun it, but treants start with 300 ms, so they won't gain ground fast enough for it to be significant in most cases.

It's feasible, but they've got to be really close.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:02:29 pm by Rez »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 02, 2012, 08:31:40 pm »

My Furion hat is now leafy from 334 trees spawned. I still don't know if that means treants or his Q. I also have a strange Furion staff now too and that one levels off kills.

But yeah, I play Furion as Nature's Profit. Sit in jungle, rice for awhile. Gank if anything is a free kill. Get money. Get Midas, Necrobook, etc. Push forever and get 700 gold / min. If I feel particularly vindictive, I grab scepter and make sure the rest of my team can't farm.

Works pretty well since I have a 2:1 win rate on him.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 03, 2012, 09:12:32 am »

SO yea I got some wierd rare cape for sven which cannot be bought, it's the flameguard cape but is called instead Flameguard Commanders Cape or something like that, it's soot grey instead of blue and is BEAUTIFUL! Can't help but say that I'm starting to really like this item system XD
Nom nom nom

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 05, 2012, 11:10:46 am »

I came across some cool stuff for Dota.

1. The hero with the highest winrate in the entire game is Ursa. Followed by Lich.

2. The written language that the Dota 2 world uses is Enochian. You can see it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enochian#Alphabet. I guess this means the people of this world use the language of angels? You can see examples of this in Roshan's spectator timer, the glyph left behind by a dead user of blood stone, things like that.

3. The language the demon trio speak (Doom Bringer, Shadow Demon, Shadow Fiend) is called Ozkavosh. You can view a dictionary of it here: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=36064 This dictionary is why there's translations to what they're saying on the wiki. You can hear examples here: http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Shadow_Demon_responses

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 05, 2012, 03:19:53 pm »

1. The hero with the highest winrate in the entire game is Ursa. Followed by Lich.
Ursa I can understand, but lich? the only important thing he has is free armor for everyone. And raping lone druid too. Guys like dark seer are much more versatile (And fun) supports

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 05, 2012, 03:33:49 pm »

It's just what the stats say. http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Shadow_Demon_responses

You can see their sample size too, which is pretty freaking massive.

Edit: Haha, Treant Protector replaced Lich since I checked.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 06, 2012, 04:53:28 am »

For all interested, the international 2's qualifiers are running right now, through the next week or so (for both the west and east qualifiers). Tobi'Wan will be streaming thye west qualifiers here.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 06, 2012, 06:28:55 am »

It's just what the stats say. http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Shadow_Demon_responses

You can see their sample size too, which is pretty freaking massive.

Edit: Haha, Treant Protector replaced Lich since I checked.

That's probably the wrong link.

Was this the one http://stats.dota2.be/herostats/?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 06, 2012, 06:55:10 am »

Ursa I can understand, but lich? the only important thing he has is free armor for everyone. And raping lone druid too. Guys like dark seer are much more versatile (And fun) supports

He also is pretty much guaranteed to outlevel anyone he is laned against. Hes a support, hes a nuker, and hes not squishy. Very useful hero.

Boring? Yea, probably. Although his ult allows for many lulz.

The "best" heroes are rarely top. Ursa, for example, is absolute garbage. Pubstomp heroes are always top, and Ursa and Lich are pretty damn good at that.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:02:08 am by Rex_Nex »

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 06, 2012, 07:50:51 am »

He also is pretty much guaranteed to outlevel anyone he is laned against. Hes a support, hes a nuker, and hes not squishy. Very useful hero.

Boring? Yea, probably. Although his ult allows for many lulz.

The "best" heroes are rarely top. Ursa, for example, is absolute garbage. Pubstomp heroes are always top, and Ursa and Lich are pretty damn good at that.
I start to understand. The same way tide's ult wins matches, lich does (Well, maybe not that hard), he has a plus 9 armor spam, wich is quite nice, he can underlevel the enemy and... well, I still can't see his q as something really useful. But he's a jack of all trades, master of none, and that makes him quite resourceful
Haha, Treant Protector replaced Lich since I checked.
That global regen aura including towers is quite powerful, indeed

Also, lycan is up there too. Nice.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 06, 2012, 08:01:44 am »

His Q is amazing, its does 250 damage in an AoE and slows everything it hurts, its extremely spammable with low CD, and is on a hero with almost no mana problems.

It does eventually get less useful then his armor, but maxing his nova + sacrifice first will literally hand you the lane in a gift basket. You have a lot of harassment power with a spammable nuke, you can control the flow of the lane by using his sacrifice to force your wave to lose to his (or use his nuke to do the opposite), and you can keep the opponent a good 1-2 levels below you.

Treant is pretty good too, but unfortunately hes not quite as good of a support as one might think. He can double as a tank, though!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 06, 2012, 09:37:24 am »

LASD: Yeah. Thanks for fixing it.

Edit:

All games for both qualifiers will be watchable through the Dota 2 client. You will have access to Directed view, Player Perspective, Free Camera and most importantly to the commentators audio. Everyone should feel free to re-stream the games.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 06, 2012, 10:58:44 am »

Lich doesn't have a high win rate because it's an incredible hero (it's still a pretty good hero, though), it has a high win rate because it's an almost noob-proof hero. Give a beginner Pugna or Shadow Demon, and he will feed like crazy, be totally useless and generally be a burden to his team (a bad Disruption or Decrepify can ruin a fight).

But Lich is incredibly straightforward : you spam the enemy with your nova in lane, Dark Ritual a creep everytime it's up, Frost Armour your allies, and use your ult in teamfights. Now get a courier at the start of the game and you're already more useful than 90% of players.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 06, 2012, 09:23:12 pm »

Quote from: Icefrog
    6/6/12

Note: This update won't be pushed to the main Dota 2 client until the Wild Cards qualifiers are done. We expect this to be on Monday. To distract you from this fact, here are three heroes!

GAMEPLAY
    - Added Chaos Knight, Phantom Assassin, and Gyrocopter!
    - Drow: Fixed Frost Arrows not working on mechanical units.
    - Morphling: Added effects for strength and agility morph as well as an overhead timer for replicate.
    - Nature's Prophet: Fixed Sprout destroying other trees around it.
    - Shadow Demon: Fixed Soul Catcher being dispellable.
    - Shadow Demon: Fixed Shadow Poison impact damage not hurting Disrupted units (and thus not disabling Blink).
    - Fixed targeted spells not temporarily revealing the attacker.
    - Fixed Orb of venom working on denies.
    - Fixed the following spells being castable on magic immune allies: Nightmare, Frost Armor, Nature's Guise, Holy Persuasion, Decrepify, Astral Imprisonment, Shadow Word and X Marks The Spot

UI
    - Selecting "Equip" on an item in the backpack now flips to the loadout and automatically does the equipping for you.
    - Added support for watching replays via URL. For example, "dota2://matchid=15478&matchtime=300" will go directly to five minutes into match 15478.
    - Added button in replay panel to copy an URL into the clipboard that can be used to get back to that point in that replay.
    - Added Hall of Fame trophies to the bases. Clicking on them will display the winning teams of The International.

DOTA 2 BOTS
    - Made bots not leave a gank if they currently have the ability to reincarnate and allies are still attacking.
    - Fixed bug where bots would pick their heroes before humans locked in their picks.

Three heroes on Monday, one of the hardest carries among them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 06, 2012, 09:34:30 pm »

... which one is that? I'm guessing either the assassin or the gryocopter, and that's partially only because I don't remember what the gyro does. Still. PA was kinda' fun in pub games earlier in DotA lifespan. Dunno how useless the UI in 2 will make max level blur, but it was kinda' hilarious back in WC3. Didn't do much against folks that knew about it and how to deal with it, but those that didn't... heeheehee.

E: Huh. Looks like blur's effect was nerfed at some point during the period I didn't play DotA. Used to just make you flat-out transparent when maxed out, seems to only be eighty percent nowadays.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:39:04 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 246