Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 227250 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #465 on: June 06, 2012, 09:37:30 pm »

PA is the carry. Gyro is kind of... eh, he has a lot of neat spells but in all honesty he is a terrible hero. He has a rocket spell that will do more damage based on how long it gets to trail the opponent, another rocket spell that does throws around a few dozen 10 damage rockets to whatever is closest over 5 seconds, ANOTHER rocket spell that changes his normal attack into rockets that hit everyone in a certain range around you each time you autoattack, AND ANOOTHERRRR rocket spell that shoots two giant missiles, one does a lot of damage, the other slows, and they hit the ground about 1 second after another.

Another little bonus of PA's invis is that is removes her icon from the minimap.

CK is also a carry, but eh.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:41:01 pm by Rex_Nex »

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 07, 2012, 03:33:25 am »

Actually the Blur change was mostly a buff. Sure the transparency thing was annoying but not a real problem for any decent player. Now it basically acts as a 1600 range gank detector, which is HUGE for a hard carry.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 07, 2012, 03:56:33 am »

The other issue with blur was the fact that if you had a somewhat bad computer back in the day, you would turn off shadows to increase performance a bit.

Meaning the hero whose model would become 100% invisible, and would be represented only by a shadow, would become extremely hard to target.

Yeah.

PA was fun in those days, since when she first came out she pretty much had 3 passives and a Blink Strike, making her either the weakest or the strongest character on your team, depending on her farm. Now, though, she just gets an innate 4x crit and 35% dodge, she can hit insanely hard with a damage item or two, and having a gap closer and slow allows her to pretty much go for lifesteal/bash/damage/attack speed, without needing a Butterfly. The "nuke" ability allows her to farm with some ease, as at level 4 of the skill it's a 200 true damage (on creeps) nuke for 15 mana, meaning she can sit in lane and farm all day at range, and the pseudo blink allows her to target friendly units as well as enemies, enabling her to move in and out of battle every five seconds.

Great carry, but easy to shut down early, and a monster if she gets even a mediocre farm. Just get a Battlefury early on and you're golden.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 07, 2012, 08:29:18 am »

If you played DotA without healthbars enabled, yea, she was pretty much invisible.

Shes pretty easy to shut down though. Any decent nuker will have her screaming in the early game, although ranged attack damage heroes will have a little more trouble because of her evasion.

She also has the problem of being next to useless in teamfights before she gets her items. There isn't really much you can expect a single target hero with a 50 damage nuke at max level to do, but hey, let her farm that Battle Fury and she can probably rip up your support heroes in half a second.

Her last problem is, of course, having nothing but autoattack. Blademail completely shuts her off regardless of her farm.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 07, 2012, 09:40:45 am »

Ghost scepter.

Ghost scepter is the one you want to counter her, so at least you don't die while you take her down.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 07, 2012, 09:51:36 am »

Blah, I dont like Ghost Scepter...

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 07, 2012, 05:13:33 pm »

For those who missed it, Mouz sports vs. Virtus Pro game 2 in the international qualifiers is the best game to have ever been casted on any stream, or at least close to. The VOD is up in the JD archives. Watch that damn game, it's incredible.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 07, 2012, 09:27:44 pm »

Oh wow, you're right. That was absolutely incredible.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 08, 2012, 05:16:18 am »

Worth watching game 3 too just for Sinsings commentary in the end:

"WHAT THE F"#K MAN WHAT THE F&%K IS WITH THIS GAME DOTA IS F"#ING HARD"

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:11 am »

Mrm... game 3 was kinda weird.

The beginning was good, but then Virtus Pro started doing some extremely weird things that didn't make any sense at all like Enigma's and QoP's bizzaro dives on a nearly immortal Dark Seer that just led to them dying for no reason.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 10, 2012, 04:26:45 pm »

I now have strange beard for Furion.

It levels up from victories.

That means my Furion items now level up from trees grown, kills, and victories.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 10, 2012, 11:51:29 pm »

Anyone else been watching the recent mTw matches?  They've been really impressive, with the possible exception of the second next.kz game.  They play such calm dota, they rarely bring surprises, but their play is generally so solid that they climbed right up the losers bracket.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 11, 2012, 11:43:50 pm »

Looks like a big update this time around. Chaos Knight (an old favorite, who looks a little different than I remember him being, skill wise; he used to have a Blink Strike, like Riki and PA), Phantom Assassin (Super carry to the rescue!), and Gyrocopter (whom I haven't the slightest clue about, but he looks fun in a nuker, full AoE carry kinda way).

Looking forward to carrying hard with PA, who is kinda like Riki, but without the squishy, and four times the carry ability (because of the 4x crit and evasion). More passives = more item dependent, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 12, 2012, 12:34:50 am »

gyrocopter strikes me as basically useless in a match with equal skilled opponents.  Squishy, bad range, and expensive spells.  Animation is on par with sniper, but sans the range that makes sniper even viable as a farmer.  If you want a heavy nuker with the potential for awesome global presence, why not take zeus?  If you see a trend, it's basically that I think gyro is worse at all roles than heroes that never make drafts anyway.  I look at the guides on playdota for this hero, and it's clear that they're both targeted at no skill pubs.  The impression I've gotten is that he's supposed to be a ganker>semi-carry, but there are heroes that do it better.

PA isn't anything like riki at all.  Riki's schtick is that he can run around and gank supports really easily once he gets diffusal.  His usefulness tapers off late game.  PA is set-up much more to farm a lane really easily.  Her dagger is designed for sitting in lane, even with heavy harass, and taking farm.  A lot of farm.  Riki gets fed and PA gets farmed.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 12, 2012, 03:19:47 am »

gyrocopter strikes me as basically useless in a match with equal skilled opponents.  Squishy, bad range, and expensive spells. 

The first two I get but expensive spells, really? 90, 150, 50 and only 125 for his ulti doesn't strike me as very expensive, especially for a hero with a pretty decent manapool.

Gyro is a decent hero but he doesn't really shine in any aspect of the game, and you will pretty much always want a Windrunner, a Leshrac, an Invoker (as examples of heroes that can do everything quite well) rather than him. I could see him as a surprise pick, though.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 246